FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Spain/Portugal/Gibraltar (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/spain-portugal-gibraltar-713/)
-   -   Making a Day Visit to Gibraltar (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/spain-portugal-gibraltar/448441-making-day-visit-gibraltar.html)

jerseyfinn Jun 30, 2005 2:44 pm

Making a Day Visit to Gibraltar

We will be in Andaluciá for a couple of weeks and are planning a day visit to Gibraltar. I've heard that it's easier to leave your car on the Spanish side and walk across the border and catch a taxi.

Can someone comment about the access roads to the border and parking. Also some insight on what taxis cost and what some of the must see things are during a Gibraltar visit would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Barry

magexpect Jun 30, 2005 4:27 pm

There are plenty of parking spaces right before the border. Just watch the rates. Closer you are, more expensive it is. It is not necessary to walk across, you can get a bus for very little.
Things to visit are the Rock, of course either by cab or small bus tour. The harbour is nice and otherwise shopping. There are different buildings worth a look at if you like colonial architecture.

SkeptiCallie Jun 30, 2005 7:23 pm

It's convenient. I think you do have to walk across, but my information dates back to year 2000. We took a taxi from Algeciras to Gibraltar but seems as if I recall seeing a parking lot for cars. Wouldn't swear to it. Once you walk across, there are tour vans looking for business. We ordinarily wouldn't want a tour van but because we had only an hour or maybe hour and a half to see Gibraltar, used one. The driver was extremely good, a very intelligent, articulate man, and the choice turned out to be excellent. I would recommend it highly. You have to see the Barbary Apes, the airport that doubles as a highway, etc. Really worthwhile. I think we did the "Gibraltar tour" in two or three hours, including travel there. Pity we hadn't more time, but if you have limited time, know it can be done. You just have to tell your guide, if you've hired one, your time limits. Wouldn't try to see Gibraltar without a guide or car, by the way. The main sights require driving.

brendamc Jul 1, 2005 7:26 am

We arrived by sea, but highly recommend a private bus tour. We shared a guide with a girl we met there & saved some on the cost. Of course, loved the apes & the views - especially interesting were the caves they defended the Rock from. Glad we visited, but it was strange finding English breakfasts & Marks & Sparks when what you expect is Spain!

Retired FF Jul 7, 2005 3:36 pm

There are several tour buses from Andalucia (we took these from Marbella) to Gibraltar which are very comfortable and reasonable (I can't remember exact cost but I think around 40 Euros per person). They give you 4-5 hours in Gibraltar which is plenty to see the apes, do some shopping and grab a quick lunch.
We took this trip twice, both times from Marriott in Marbella.

CMDR_BOND Jul 11, 2005 8:32 pm

What do you guys think of taking the hydrofoil down to Morocco? Is there much to see and is it safe for tourists? Someone once told me that it was like the Tiajuana of Spain, but I haven't read that anywhere else.