From Florence to Barcelona

Old May 1, 05, 6:23 pm
Original Poster

Question From Florence to Barcelona

I am an American rookie traveler visiting Europe for the first time in 34 years. How expensive would it be and how many hours would it take to rent a car and drive from Florence to Barcelona? Can anyone suggest some places to stop along the way? As I don't have to arrive until very late in the evening, where would you suggest I stop for lunch and dinner. Please remember I have never driven in Europe, although I am assuming the roads will be fairly similar to what we have in the States. Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.
Old May 1, 05, 6:36 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: up in the air
Welcome to FT Richard Peterson

Sorry I cant help you much. IIRC there are quite a lot of hills between Florence and Barcelona, may make for a long day. Some stretches are toll roads.

Plenty of interesting places to stop along the way - could easily make it a few days to do this trip. Eg Pisa, some nice coastal places in northwest of Italy, Monaco, Nice (and hinterland), Aigues Mortes, Marseille, etc.
Old May 1, 05, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP; DL Platinum; UA Gold MM; IHG Spire Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
You could always fly Meridiana if the drive appears to be too unwieldy.
Old May 2, 05, 12:44 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Executive Club Gold/Frequence Plus Red
Welcome to FT.

The trip can be done in two days if you are in a rush, but could take you up to a month if you took time to visit all the interesting places on the way

Driving is not going to be much of a problem, especially if you stay on the autostradas, autoroutes etc.

The costs could be quite high as you are considering a one way trip, meaning drop-off charges. As far as highway tolls are concerned, you'll end up with $ 92.- less in your wallet. Gas should run at $100.-/120.- and you are looking at 650 miles of travel.

Places to stop are a myriad.

Have a good trip
Old May 2, 05, 12:49 pm
LAR

I, too, am interested in travel between Florence and Barcelona but also between Paris and Florence. Meridiana Airlines is a significant discovery for me.

Does it have a reputation for being reliable? (I've heard that one problem with the EasyJets in this world is that they overbook and you can easily get bumped. That worries me when you've only got 12 precious days to see three formidable cities!)

any comments would be most welcome.

Thanks
LAR
Old May 2, 05, 2:21 pm

I use this link for cheap airlines.

http://whichbudget.com/

Just booked Easyjet for the first time...I think the airline is O.K...got good reviews in Europe...
Also booked Vueling Airline to/from Barcelona ... have to see how it goes

Search this Thread