Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Spain/Portugal/Gibraltar
Reload this Page >

Best Hotel in Barcelona around 150 Euros ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2004, 5:46 pm
JAP
Original Poster

Location: Cork, Ireland. Aer Lingus (in the bin), BA Gold (woo hoo!), EBB Blue, HH Diamond, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Diamond

I have searched by the way !

In-laws are planning a trip to Barca in early July. They haven't been there before and want a nice hotel near the centre, and not too expensive - say 150 to 200 Euros per night. They will be staying for 4 nights.
2 People - husband and wife in 50s.

Any suggestions for a little gem for them ?

Thanks in advance for any help ...

Regards,

John P.
Old Jun 18, 2004, 3:52 am

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
I'd recommend the Hotel Diplomatic or Majestic near the Paseo de Gracia; if you are lucky, you can get a room in that price range there. The Hotel Ritz Arts near the Olympic Port is probably more expensive.
Old Jun 19, 2004, 3:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold · A3 Gold · DL Gold · VY apologist
I think I've posted this four or five times here before...

Best combination of style, service and location is the NH Calderon. Unlike the Majestic, it's not on a busy thoroughfare and much more conducive to doing the pedestrian thing, hanging around the neighborhood, etc. Lots of nice bars and cafes in the same block. A block from Plaça Catalunya, the tourist bus, Passeig de Gracia, and the Ramblas but still on a nice quiet street.

http://www.hotelnhcalderon.com/ - they currently have a web special for a double at 204€.

The next-best option is the Silken Gran Havana. It's on a busy street (Gran Via) but still nearby the Calderon, etc. It has as much style, and the service is very good. It's not quite as fancy (no rooftop pool, etc). I used to stay there when the Calderon was too expensive or full and was extremely happy with the rooms and the service. Upon checkin make sure they don't give you a "00" room (i.e., 400) as those have only one window that looks out over the atrium.

http://www.silken-granhavana.com/ - current web special for 158€ double.

Both of these hotels are places I have recommended to clients and family, and would stay at again in a heartbeat. They're both recently renovated, typical Spanish high-tech style, and have good service. The Havana is "this is a really nice hotel"; the Calderon is "Wow! Check this place out!"

Another poster mentioned the Diplomatic (nice but nothing special, maybe you can get a good rate) and the Majestic (expensive and feels really old and tired to me). There are lots of good hotels here; the two I recommended I think are the best in your price range.
Old Jun 20, 2004, 4:14 am
JAP
Original Poster

Location: Cork, Ireland. Aer Lingus (in the bin), BA Gold (woo hoo!), EBB Blue, HH Diamond, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Thanks !

alanw and attorney28,

Thanks for your suggestions !

I will forward this information to them and let you know how they get on. Both hotels sound like just what they want !! ^

I appreciate the help !

Regards,

John P.
Old Jun 20, 2004, 8:50 am

There are more suggestions !

A superb 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom, balcony, terrace apartment with also nice outdoors, availability and more [email protected]

In our budget we allocated much more to top restaurants than foreseen after we found this pleasant non smoker accommo.

The only minus we found: for the swimming pool we had to walk 5 minutes, there are Many plus.

I hope it the helps !

Helen,

Old Jun 20, 2004, 11:22 am
JAP
Original Poster

Thanks MaBelle !!

Thanks for the alternative MaBelle, and welcome to FT !! ^

However, I would imagine that the in-laws would prefer the comforts of a hotel on their first trip to Barcelona ...

Will pass on the suggestions though....

Best Regards,

John P.
Old Jun 29, 2004, 6:21 am
LaLoretta

In-laws are planning a trip to Barca in early July. They haven't been there before and want a nice hotel near the centre, and not too expensive - say 150 to 200 Euros per night. They will be staying for 4 nights.

- The best value 4 star centrally located hotel in Barca I've found is the newly opened Zenit Borrell.
http://www.zenithoteles.com/
They have doubles on offer from about 66Euros.
The bathrooms are glorious and the furnishings modern, elegant and new.. My only quibble was that I did find the beds a tad on the firm side.
Can't think of anywhere where you'd get better value for money.

Old Jun 29, 2004, 9:45 am

Programs: BA Gold · A3 Gold · DL Gold · VY apologist
Originally Posted by LaLoretta

- The best value 4 star centrally located hotel in Barca I've found is the newly opened Zenit Borrell.
http://www.zenithoteles.com/
They have doubles on offer from about 66Euros.
The bathrooms are glorious and the furnishings modern, elegant and new.. My only quibble was that I did find the beds a tad on the firm side.
Can't think of anywhere where you'd get better value for money.
The Zenit is a nice hotel; I toured it when they first opened. However I don't think I'd call the bathrooms "glorious". I don't know of any bathrooms I'd call glorious. Maybe the RC in SIN. The special you mention expires at the end of June and I have no idea about rates for later as their site indicates zero availability during the first two weeks of July.
Old Jun 29, 2004, 10:24 am
LaLoretta

The special you mention expires at the end of June and I have no idea about rates for later as their site indicates zero availability during the first two weeks of July.

Lo siento muchacho,
I just checked at the Zenit website and there was definitely availability mid July (8,9,10 - just a random search) and the price was still advertised as 65 Euros.
But when you compare the bathrooms with those of any other hotel for that price, 'glorious' most definitely stands. I'd probably feel quite differently, however, if I'd paid 150 €plus!!!

Old Jul 2, 2004, 10:34 pm

I stayed at the Fira Palace my last two nights there a couple of years ago. A bit out of the way above the Plaza Espana, but only a block & a half walk by fountains & palaces to the subway. Wonderful accomodations, large room, great bathroom.

JP
Old Aug 6, 2004, 1:14 am

Programs: TK Gold, Etihad Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold.
Go to ratestogo.com They have the Zenit for 55 euros a night plus 7% VAT. Not to bad, I have a 2 day stay starting today. The Arts hotel is by far the best, from what I hear from others. It is on sncf-voyages.com for 200 euros a night sometimes.

Cheers

Timo
Old Aug 8, 2004, 2:14 pm

Programs: TK Gold, Etihad Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold.
I just got back from the Zenit, and other then the price, not too impressive. I first had a room with a king bed, but the A/C didn't work, all they had were rooms with two double beds, not comfortable for a couple. And in the second room, the A/C once turned out never stopped, so I woke up and it was maybe 60 degrees in the room. I set it to 72 degrees. They did give us breakfast for the problem. The wireless internet doesn't work yet, and they didn't have pillow covers for the new pillows. The maid threw away my touthpaste, and I was not to impressed, the style looked like it was stolen from the Hilton BCN. On another note, I stopped by the Arts hotel, and it is a 5 star all the way around. Great staff, environment, etc.

Timo
Old Aug 8, 2004, 2:25 pm

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Originally Posted by timo469
The maid threw away my touthpaste
It's a conspiracy! They are out to get you...first the phone card...then the toothpaste...what's next?!

Oh, and for the best pasta in Barcelona (really cheap, too!), I recommend the Pastarito, it's almost next door to the Hotel Diplomatic. Horrible service, bad lighting and atmosphere, but the pasta is excellent and the portions are huge.
Old Aug 11, 2004, 12:28 pm

I´ve just checked into the Hotel Apsis Atrium...it´s an excellent find just on the Gran Via. Free water adn juice from the minibar, pool/jacuzzi/sauna, the decor is really modern and the staff excellent. Breakfast, if booked in advance, is €7,50 (in room or in the dining room), otherwise €15.

Will have more details as the trip progresses, but so far I´m thouroghly impressed.
Old Dec 19, 2004, 9:34 pm
Suspended

Atrium Palace

Originally Posted by schreibsman
I´ve just checked into the Hotel Apsis Atrium...it´s an excellent find just on the Gran Via. Free water adn juice from the minibar, pool/jacuzzi/sauna, the decor is really modern and the staff excellent. Breakfast, if booked in advance, is €7,50 (in room or in the dining room), otherwise €15.

Will have more details as the trip progresses, but so far I´m thouroghly impressed.
Has anyone stayed at the Apsis Atrium Palace recently ?

How does the Atrium Palace compare with the NH Calderon, Silken Gran Havana or the Majestic ?

I am currently booked at the Hilton, and I am thinking of changing my booking to this hotel. Apart from the Gold benefits that I will receive at the Hilton, will I be missing out on anything by staying at the Atrium Palace instead of the Hilton (leisure trip) ?

There are several mixed reviews at Trip Advisor but generally I am more comfortable with the opinions of FT members.

Thanks.

Last edited by mario33; Dec 20, 2004 at 7:50 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.