Hotel in Lisbon

Old Nov 23, 04, 8:26 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Question Hotel in Lisbon

Want to spend one night in Lisbon after a conference in Spain before flying back to the States the next morning. Never been to Lisbon (hence the trip).

Can someone reccomend a good hotel in Lisbon? I looked at the Four Seasons, but the cheapest I could find was Euro295. That's a bit steep. Something less than Euro250 would be better. I would like something close to popular dining and tourism.

Thanks,
Benjamin
Old Nov 23, 04, 8:52 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
I like the Sheraton Towers in Lisbon. It isn't close to the tourist section but none of the good hotels are; Lisbon is small and it is a $5 taxi ride away, or there is the subway stop a block from the hotel. The advantage of the location is a great view and quiet; also has a good swimming pool. Rates are typically half of the Four Season rate and the Tower rooms are stylishly furnished and very comfortable. By no means a great hotel, but adequate for the purpose and recommended.
Old Nov 23, 04, 1:05 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by number_6
I like the Sheraton Towers in Lisbon. It isn't close to the tourist section but none of the good hotels are; Lisbon is small and it is a $5 taxi ride away, or there is the subway stop a block from the hotel. The advantage of the location is a great view and quiet; also has a good swimming pool. Rates are typically half of the Four Season rate and the Tower rooms are stylishly furnished and very comfortable. By no means a great hotel, but adequate for the purpose and recommended.
Thank you. Is it close to good and fun dining options?
Old Nov 23, 04, 2:08 pm

Programs: The usual for over 7 Million paid miles flown to date... My first paid flight was on a DC3.
My family and I love the Marriott near the American Embassy. As with most better hotels in Lisbon, It's on the outskirts. It's worth a cab ride, IMHO!
Old Nov 23, 04, 10:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I stayed at the Marriott Lisbon a few times this year. It's not a great hotel, but it is good enough that I feel comfortable also recommending it.

Cabs are cheap enough in Lisbon anyway and once in the center there is a reasonable subway system.
Old Nov 24, 04, 9:13 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Anyone know of any trendy small hotels there? Upscale ones.
Old Nov 24, 04, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC
Anyone know of any trendy small hotels there? Upscale ones.
I stayed at the Sheraton - O.K., but nothing to write home ... May be they finished the renovation, for $140/night more or less, I would go back. Taxi is 5 min. to the city and 15 min to the restaurants on River Tejo

People like
Lapa Palace

Rua do Pau de Bandeira, 4
1249-021 Lisboa
Portugal

Tel: 351 21 394 94 94
Fax:: +351 21 395 06 65
email: [email protected]

Lapa Palace is located on a hilltop at the heart of Lisbon's most elegant suburb, the Embassy district, close to the city's best shopping centre.

The Palace History
The word Palace derives from the Latin word palatium, from Mount Palatino, where Augustus had his magnificent house built.

Right after the earthquake from 1755, the first Baron of Porto Covo, Jacinto Fernandes Bandeira, built his house in S. Domingos Street starting the creation of the Lapa district.

Approximately 115 years later, in 1870, the succeeding Viscount built for one of his sons a beautiful house in the Lapa District. The house was later sold to the Counts of Valenças, who in 1883 decided to transform it into a Palace.

Some of the famous artists who participated in the decoration of the Palace were Rafael Bordalo Pinheiro and Columbano. Rafael Bordalo Pinheiro was one of the greatest Portuguese ceramists of the 19th century. At the Count's request, he created for the Palace pieces of furniture and tiles. Columbano, the greatest portrait painter of his time, called by some the 'painter of broken souls', has painted the walls and ceilings of the original ballroom (today the Columbano Room) with the theme Dancing through Times. Many of the characters portrayed in the wall paintings are aristocrats of the Lisbon high life, like the Count of Arnoso, the Viscount of Sacavém or the oldest son of the Count
http://www.lapapalace.com/web/olis/olis_a1a_splash.jsp
Old Nov 26, 04, 1:42 pm

Programs: US Chairmans, AA Lifetime Gold, SPG Platinum
The Le Meridien is right next door to the Four Seasons. I stayed there for 4 days last summer and it was fantastic, just a small notch below a typical RC/FS. The rates were very reasonable in the summer, although food and beverage were quite pricey especially compared to local prices. You do not have tourist attractions at your doorstep but they are within a reasonable walk.
Old Nov 26, 04, 3:24 pm

Programs: The usual for over 7 Million paid miles flown to date... My first paid flight was on a DC3.
Originally Posted by prspad
My family and I love the Marriott near the American Embassy. As with most better hotels in Lisbon, It's on the outskirts. It's worth a cab ride, IMHO!
To add to my previous post, following is addition information that I also posted on the Marriott Forum...

I stayed at the Lisbon Marriott with my 15 year old daughter this past June. The European World Cup Soccer Championships were underway with Lisbon as host city and the Russian Team was staying at the hotel so there was tremendous security in place. The rooms and hotel were okay... Typical Marriott. The breakfast buffet was standard, but did include some great cured Spanish Jamon and local Portugese cheeses. I did enjoy smoking a cigar and having a drink at the pool as the Russian team members had some interesting looking fellow travelers accompanying them. Being the dutiful Dad, of course I ignored them! From Lisbon we went on to Tangiers, and the pool view at the hotel there was substantially less "skinful!"

From the Marriott, as I recall, we did take a short, scenic 15 minute walk over the Freeway, down through a residential area to the Jardim Zoológico Blue Line Underground Station. It would have been easy to take a cab, but the walk was pleasant and healthier. We rode the Blue Line a couple stops one day to a large shopping center to buy some Soccer European Cup paraphenalia. We also rode it in the other direction to downtown. The Metropolitano de Lisboa subway system was clean, clearly marked and easy to navigate.

Last edited by prspad; Nov 27, 04 at 10:47 am
Old Nov 27, 04, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
The Le Meridien would be my choice too. It's a short walk to the main drag and you can walk a little further to the Castello. That's probably the best location and certainly a much better location than the Sheraton.
Old Dec 6, 04, 6:30 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
The Sheraton is in a business and residential neighbourhood, excellent location for some things but not near most tourist attractions. There are some really good local neighbourhood restaurants within a block of it, also some good local shopping -- definitely different from the tourist area in Lisbon and better to my taste. But the location isn't for everyone. I always wind up going to Senhor Vinho for the fado and none of the hotels is any more convenient for that, so the Sheraton is my preferred hotel in Lisbon. Just be sure to stay in the Towers part, cost a bit more but the rooms are stylishly furnished and much more comfortable, also the concierge can be very helpful if you need to deal with Portugese translation.
Old Dec 7, 04, 6:14 am

Programs: AF F+ Rouge / Flying Ash®
NH Liberdade

A new building with high tech decor, contemporary paintings and an outdoor pool, the NH Liberdade is on bustling Avenida da Liberdade, near the city's famous Plaza Marques de Pombal and the botanical gardens. The 83 rooms and suites are decorated in pale colours and have large beds, swathed in crisp white linen. Each has a pillow menu and TV with pay-per-view movies and video games. Restaurant Do Teatro has a modern decor with oriental twist and serves Portuguese cuisine, as well as international dishes. The bar has the same minimalist look as the rest of the hotel.

Business centre? Yes

Price: Doubles cost from E190, which includes breakfast

Contact: tel 351 213 514 060, [email protected], Avenida de Liberdade, 180, 1250-146 Lisboa,

www.nh-hotels.com
Business Traveller, April 2004

My upstairs neighbor, who is originally from Lisbon, swears by this relatively new hotel.
Old Dec 7, 04, 6:42 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HGP
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I stayed at the Marriott Lisbon a few times this year. It's not a great hotel, but it is good enough that I feel comfortable also recommending it.
If cost is an issue this hotel regularly seems to be available on PL for $55-65.
Old Nov 15, 05, 7:49 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by blairvanhorn
Business Traveller, April 2004

My upstairs neighbor, who is originally from Lisbon, swears by this relatively new hotel.
Just FYI - I stayed at the NH Liberdade in October (based on the recommendation above) and loved it. It was small, had a nice breakfast (included with Room costs) and very nice rooms. Its walking distance (a good 10-15 minute walk) from the main sights downtown. I got a rate of about 80 Euro a night off of their website (which seemed to be cheaper than Expedia).
Old Nov 25, 05, 5:30 am

Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC
Want to spend one night in Lisbon after a conference in Spain before flying back to the States the next morning. Never been to Lisbon (hence the trip).

Can someone reccomend a good hotel in Lisbon? I looked at the Four Seasons, but the cheapest I could find was Euro295. That's a bit steep. Something less than Euro250 would be better. I would like something close to popular dining and tourism.

Thanks,
Benjamin

Mate you should try the Bairro Alto Hotel. Location is really good as you are exactly on the spot for entertainment: the Bairro Alto neighbourhood is where you can find some of the best restaurants, bars and clubs in Lisbon (try eating at the Bota Alta - typical portuguese food at its best! and then just go into one of the hundreds of bars, get some drinks and then walk to the Incognito club and party all night long the portuguese way! - you will have lots of time to sleep on your flight back to the US).

Have fun!

Search this Thread