Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Spain/Portugal/Gibraltar
Reload this Page >

Barcelona ideally located hotels

Old Jan 22, 04, 6:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; A3 Gold; Marriott LPP Ambassador; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP

I will be going to Barcelona for three nights and am currently looking for a nice hotel in the range of early 100 Euros per night (90-150) in the very heart of the city.
I am not familiar with Barcelona at all, but would be interested to be staying somewhere walking distance to all the basic tourist attractions, restaurants and entertainment.

I have researched several websites but its extremely hard to be sure which hotels are perfect in term of the location.

Any hotel names/descriptions/recommendations would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Old Jan 24, 04, 10:39 pm

Sound like you would want to be on the Ramblas. Regardless of where you stay, you'll have to use public transit to some sites such as Parque Gaul, the Sagrada Familia, etc., but much is near the Ramblas, and it is ground zero for restaurants, sidewalk cafes, and much else good that happens in Barcelona. It's a wonderful area. I understand that a downside to staying on the Ramblas is that it is possible to experience a lot of street noise in your room during the nighttime.

That said, I had a very nice stay at the Fira Palace, which was above the Plaza Espana, a block and a half off the subway. Large, very well appointed rooms, at the upper end of your price range most days, but I managed to get a 99 euro rate a couple of years ago through Expedia.

I see you're here in PHX. If you would like to borrow a guide or map for your trip, drop me a note.

JP
Old Jan 25, 04, 3:04 am
uk1
Suspended

An alternative to a cheap hotel would be Citadines. They offer studios and 1 bedroomed appartments. They have a property in the Ramblas which would be ideal. I find these are better than cheap hotels as they give you more space and somewhere to make a snack.

They have a special offer on at the moment for studios at Ramblas for 110 euros which seems to meet your budget.

http://www.citadines.co.uk/uhot/uwres_ltpms57.htm

Hope this helps.
Old Jan 25, 04, 3:09 am
uk1
Suspended

........... yes Ramblas is very noisy night time - particularly at around 4 or 5 when many clubs have shoving out time. You should be able to specify "quiet" though - although no one goes to Barcelona for a bit of peace and quiet.

Don't miss the aquarium / sea world.
Old Jan 25, 04, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; A3 Gold; Marriott LPP Ambassador; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Thank you for the recommendations!
What do you think about Hotel Continental La Ramblas? According to posts on www.madridman.com (pretty good website a la FlyerTalk for Spanish hotels), Hotel Continental is a pretty good place.
However, what about air conditioning situation in Barcelona hotels? It sounds like only high end hotels have it, is it correct, and if so, how bad is it in May or June?
Old Jan 25, 04, 2:59 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by asnovici:
Thank you for the recommendations!
What do you think about Hotel Continental La Ramblas? According to posts on www.madridman.com (pretty good website a la FlyerTalk for Spanish hotels), Hotel Continental is a pretty good place.
However, what about air conditioning situation in Barcelona hotels? It sounds like only high end hotels have it, is it correct, and if so, how bad is it in May or June?
</font>
May/June can be hot.
I guess the hotel has no A/C.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
At present Hotel Continental is a small but very well-equipped hotel. All the rooms have private, complete with hair-dryer bathroom, central heating, satellite TV, safe, telephone, fridge, microwave, iron and tropical fan.
http://www.hotelcontinental.com/home_ramblas.htm
</font>
Old Jan 26, 04, 10:50 am

Excellent detective work, USAFAN

As mentioned, early summer in BCN is warm, but not humid. AC is not an absolute necessity IMHO.

I did stay in the aforementioned Citadines once. I don't recall having/using AC (it was in early May), but had an interesting view on the bathroom of a top floor suite at the Méridien across the street
Old Jan 26, 04, 11:16 pm

Connecting the dots, between no A/C (open windows) & noisy street, I get a night with little sleep. Not insurmountable, & perhaps a room on the quiet side could be requested.

I think with a nice ceiling fan, temperature in the evenings should be pleasant. You're not at all far from the coast, so there should be some air moving outside.

JP
Old Jan 27, 04, 2:52 am
uk1
Suspended

&gt;&gt;I did stay in the aforementioned Citadines once. I don't recall having/using AC (it was in early May), but had an interesting view on the bathroom of a top floor suite at the Méridien across the street &lt;&lt;

The reason why I know about the Citadines is because I stayed at the Meridien in one of the corner suites. When I realised what I'd paid compared to the Citadines acrros the road ................

Old Jan 30, 04, 3:57 am

Also in the Ramblas is Hotel Gaudi. The only problem with the room was that the bed was tad small i.e my feet would stick out if I slept straight rather than diagonally
Old Jan 30, 04, 3:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold · A3 Gold · IB Plata
I wouldn't stay on directly on the Ramblas, as the area can be a bit dodgy at night and most of the lower-priced hotels are pretty run down and tiny.

The time frame you're talking about shouldn't require A/C. It might get warm during the day, but in the nights it will cool down. I used A/C only during the last week of July and most of August last summer and it was much hotter than normal.

The western Eixample, near the Ramblas and Plaça Catalunya, is a good place to base yourself as it is close to the Passeig de Gracia train station, a couple of metro stops, and is easy walking distance to the gothic quarter, the waterfront, and the best shopping.

For your price range I can recommend the Granvia, at about $100-night for weekends in May on Expedia. It´s a beautiful design, clean, and good service according to two different friends who have stayed there. Location is first-rate, at the corner of Pau Clarís and a two-minute walk to Rambla Catalunya and Passeig de Gracia. Another 10 or so and you´re at Las Ramblas and the gothic quarter.

One strong recommendation: don´t wait too long to book. BCN gets really expensive in the summer.

Let me know if you have other questions about your stay or want to get together. I think I do about 1 FT city tour a month .

------------------
-alan in sitges, home of the new, improved Si-Re-Do
Old Feb 3, 04, 5:34 am

Programs: SK EBD, AX Cent, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Club-A Plat, Avis' PC, CC Gold,Hertz PC, CX Diamond,BA Bronz
Another good choice IMHO, is the Guitart Gran Passage in the Eixample district (corner of Londres and Muntaner), close to good restaurants and nightlife, a 20' walk to La Rambla (If you ever wanna go there more than once...)
All rooms are approx. 500 sq.feet, and it is an all-suite hotel. No extra facilities apart from breakfast room and conference rooms.
Phone: + 34 93 2010306
Old Feb 3, 04, 9:42 am

Programs: UA PrmEx
Alan,

Given your Barcelona expertise, can you recommend some good nightlife for the late 20s/early 30s crowd? I'm going at the end of this month and appreciate the hotel recommendations.

I spent 6 months in Madrid in '93 and had a fantastic time. The key question is whether MAHOU beer is sold in Barcelona!

Thanks!
Old Feb 3, 04, 11:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold · A3 Gold · IB Plata
I can definitely help out with nightlife for that demographic. I'll send you an email later and we can discuss your details.

Yes, Mahou is sold here. I honestly can't tell the difference between that lager and Estrella lager though.

------------------
-alan in sitges, home of the new, improved Si-Re-Do
Old Feb 4, 04, 8:07 pm

Its probably out of the price range you are looking for, but the hotel Colone located on the Plaza of the Cathedrale is a great location and a pretty nice hotel. I think it may range in the 300 Euro/night. However, right behind it is the Grand Hotel Colone which I think is significantly cheaper. It is close to the ramba and walking distance from the Gaudi buildings and (possibly) Barcelonetta. The luxury hotels (no Four Seasons unfortunately) are all on the Diagonale.

Have fun in Barcelona, I'm jealous!!

Search this Thread