Wiki Posts
Search

ATMs in LIS.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2023, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US Air, Flying Blue, United, Air Canada, Aeromexico
ATMs in LIS.

Does anyone know what ATMs can be found in LIS Terminal 1 airside and what is the maximum amount allowed to withdraw per transaction?
And more importantly, what fee do these ATM charge for withdrawals using a card not issued by one of the Portuguese banks?
Any tips on how to withdraw Euros from these ATM and minimize the fees as much as possible?
Thanks.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 11:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
In my experience if you use a debit card in a machine operated by a local bank - with a Multibanco logo - then they won’t charge you to withdraw (it is illegal for a Portuguese bank to charge for use of an ATM). However in lots of tourist areas there are standalone ATMs aimed at tourists (normally operated by “Euronet” but also some other companies) which do charge quite ridiculous fees (and will do the scam of offering to charge you for the withdrawn Euros in your home currency with a horrendous exchange rate) so you should avoid them.

I found a photo of the ATMs at Lisbon Airport T1 arrivals. Do not under any circumstances use the machines on the left, you will be ripped off. The proper bank machine on the right will be fine (but it still might offer to sell you Euro in your home currency, so reject that always).

Old Feb 5, 2023, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BahrainLad
In my experience if you use a debit card in a machine operated by a local bank - with a Multibanco logo - then they won’t charge you to withdraw (it is illegal for a Portuguese bank to charge for use of an ATM). However in lots of tourist areas there are standalone ATMs aimed at tourists (normally operated by “Euronet” but also some other companies) which do charge quite ridiculous fees (and will do the scam of offering to charge you for the withdrawn Euros in your home currency with a horrendous exchange rate) so you should avoid them.

I found a photo of the ATMs at Lisbon Airport T1 arrivals. Do not under any circumstances use the machines on the left, you will be ripped off. The proper bank machine on the right will be fine (but it still might offer to sell you Euro in your home currency, so reject that always).

Thank you very much I will check it out tomorrow.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 6:02 am
Original Poster

I am LIS now and so far the only ATMs I see airside in T1 are the Euonet ones.
One gentleman at the reception desk said that there's no Multibanco ATMs in the airport.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 7:46 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by ticu
I am LIS now and so far the only ATMs I see airside in T1 are the Euonet ones.
One gentleman at the reception desk said that there's no Multibanco ATMs in the airport.
Check near the food court. Also, there are definitely some multibancos landside.
Old Feb 27, 2023, 11:35 am
Original Poster

On my return FAR-LIS-YYZ I noticed an MB ATM in Faro, landside near the Information desk.
These ATMs in Portugal only dispense 200 euros per transaction for maximum two withdrawals per day.
They don't charge any ATM fee though so the only fees you will incur will be from your home bank (cash withdrawal fee plus conversion fee if your account is not in euro).
Thought this might help others looking for this info.
Old Apr 9, 2023, 1:12 pm

Good to know, as I might need to do that later this month, hopefully not too much, if any at all. I'm so glad that I bought some Euro when the dollar to Euro was at 1 to 1.035.. It's currently at 1 to .917. a bit over a 10% difference
Old Apr 11, 2023, 4:38 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
It's also worth pointing out that since the pandemic contactless/Apple Pay acceptance is now the norm in Portugal, even down to the smallest transactions. Of all the places I frequent on my trips (3-4 a year as my father lives there) the only place that doesn't accept contactless is our local chicken peri-peri joint.
pbiflyer likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2023, 10:13 am

Programs: Aeroplan
I believe the food court area had some

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.