Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Spain/Portugal/Gibraltar
Reload this Page >

Madrid Restrictions Next Week (June 28-30)

Old Jun 25, 2022, 4:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond

I suspect anyone planning to visit Madrid next week is aware of the NATO meetings taking place here: more than 5000 visitors from 40 delegations, including President Joe Biden. What they may not be aware of are the restrictions on movement in the capital. Final decisions have not been made in every case, but what is clear at this point is:

The Madrid Trade Fair (IFEMA) region on the outskirts of town, where most of the meetings will be held, will be a no-go zone 24 hours a day, with a security perimeter set up in the three kilometers (1.8 miles) surrounding the facility. This means that getting from and to Barajas Airport will be affected, and alternate routes will have to be found. The principal route to the Airport, the M-11 highway, will be closed to traffic. An alternate route to the Airport, the Barcelona highway, will be closed at certain times of the day, from the city center to a point approximately 20 km outside Madrid.

In the city center, the major axis Paseo del Prado / Paseo de la Castellana will be highly restricted to vehicular traffic and may be restricted to foot traffic at some points. This is the area where many of the major hotels are located and NATO delegations will have priority of movement.

Both the Prado Museum and the Royal Palace will be closed to visitors. The Reina Sofa Museum and the Royal Theater (Teatro Real) will be closed in order to host events for the visiting delegates.

Not that anyone would have a reason to rent a car to visit Madrid, but parking within 500 meters (1/3 of a mile) of major hotels will be prohibited and cars towed.

A bit of a pain for a very good cause / reason, I think.
spainlover likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.