Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Spain/Portugal/Gibraltar
Reload this Page >

Portugal COVID test prior to flight?

Old Jun 14, 2022, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

In the 'clear as mud' category (and useless airline which is now a wet lease, another thread!) is whether someone who is a) a Canadian citizen b) has had 3 WHO approved vaccines requires a covid test to fly to Lisbon. It seems to me that the answer is yes, since they don't seem to accept Canadian vaccine proof. Does this sound right?

Many thanks.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by emma69
In the 'clear as mud' category (and useless airline which is now a wet lease, another thread!) is whether someone who is a) a Canadian citizen b) has had 3 WHO approved vaccines requires a covid test to fly to Lisbon. It seems to me that the answer is yes, since they don't seem to accept Canadian vaccine proof. Does this sound right?

Many thanks.
Yes you do, assuming you have a Canadian vaccine certificate. If so, it's not one of the 40 non-EU countries with a reciprocal vaccine certificate agreement with Portugal, so you have to test (72 hours before departure for PCR, or 24 hours for observed antigen) to enter Portugal via air.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DCJoe1
Yes you do, assuming you have a Canadian vaccine certificate. If so, it's not one of the 40 non-EU countries with a reciprocal vaccine certificate agreement with Portugal, so you have to test (72 hours before departure for PCR, or 24 hours for observed antigen) to enter Portugal via air.
Many thanks!
Old Jun 27, 2022, 9:09 am

Did you end up going yet? according to Air Canada, Canada is on the list of accepted vaccine countries and does not require testing.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by scoobybpc
Did you end up going yet? according to Air Canada, Canada is on the list of accepted vaccine countries and does not require testing.
Flew on Wednesday with Transat out of Toronto. Girl in front of me in the queue (it was her second time queuing!) was sent to go and get a covid test at the airport testing facility for the flight to Lisbon when she tried to check in / bag drop. The agent doing my bag drop did not ask to see my certificate (I deliberately did not show I had it as I was intrigued as to whether I would be asked per this thread) so in true Flyertalk fashion, YMMV. Glad I had it though, as the line was over 2 hours to drop my bag, and if they sent me to go and get the test and queue again like that girl had to, I would have a) missed by flight and b) not been a happy bunny.

Nothing was requested on landing, I used the e-gates and was straight through.

Returning to Canada they checked vaccine certificates and marked the back of the passport with an identifier which they checked again at the gate.

ETA - just saw on the other thread that apparently as of July 1 no testing needed. So moot I guess! Ah well, just reporting back!!

Last edited by emma69; Jul 5, 2022 at 12:43 pm
Old Jul 15, 2022, 2:12 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
As we have a dedicated forum for Spain & Portugal, am going to move this thread over there. Please continue to follow the discussion in that forum.

stut
Europe Forum

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.