Entry to Portugal from Canada

Old May 20, 22, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AF, Aeroplan
Entry to Portugal from Canada

Hi All:

Going to go to Lisbon end of June,

Reading the site it's not that clear,

If I am fully vaccinated and boosted from Canada, do I need a negative PCR test 72 hours before arrival?

Some sites are saying not needed and some are saying it is required.

Also my Paper Proof of Vaccine from Canada is sufficient proof that I am vaccinated ? Or do I have to download that EU vaccination App?

https://www.visitportugal.com/en/con...ented-portugal

Reading this it seems to me that if I am Vaccinated then pre-arrival test is not required. (Lots of "or") Does not mention if Canadian Vaccine Certificate is accepted

Thanks in Advance.
Old May 20, 22, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by eagle215 View Post
Does not mention if Canadian Vaccine Certificate is accepted
That's because it's not accepted. To establish vaccination status you need either an EU Digital Covid Certificate or an equivalent certificate from one of the listed reciprocal countries. Since you have neither, you will need a PCR test within 72 hours or antigen test within 24 hours.

I believe Portugal is the only remaining country in Europe that still requires a negative test result from unvaccinated travelers AND only accepts proof of vaccination issued by EU (or reciprocal) countries. It has done away with requirements for an EU certificate or neg test result for everyday activities once you're inside Portugal.
Adam1222 likes this.
Old May 20, 22, 9:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SF_trotter View Post
That's because it's not accepted. To establish vaccination status you need either an EU Digital Covid Certificate or an equivalent certificate from one of the listed reciprocal countries. Since you have neither, you will need a PCR test within 72 hours or antigen test within 24 hours.

I believe Portugal is the only remaining country in Europe that still requires a negative test result from unvaccinated travelers AND only accepts proof of vaccination issued by EU (or reciprocal) countries. It has done away with requirements for an EU certificate or neg test result for everyday activities once you're inside Portugal.
Thanks!
Old May 20, 22, 10:48 pm

Programs: AC E50, *G, HH Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by eagle215 View Post
Thanks!
Does anyone know if an antigen test obtained from a Shoppers Drug Mart will satisfy this requirement or does it have to be a PCR test?
Old May 21, 22, 6:43 am
Original Poster

[QUOTE=Nomad346;34267657]Does anyone know if an antigen test obtained from a Shoppers Drug Mart will satisfy this requirement or does it have to be a PCR test?[/QUOTE

"Only antigen tests acceptable by the European Union Health Committee are accepted for travel. The results must be in Portuguese, French, English, Spanish, or Italian and may be presented in paper or digital format. Self-tests are not accepted."

If SDM is accepted by the European Union Health Committee then I would presume OK. But I do not know.

However, it's interesting as I got this below off of the Air Canada site ....

"Travellers with vaccination certificates issued in Canada (see 65 additional countries) are not required to have negative COVID-19 test results before travelling to Portugal."

I also checked Air France's site and it says the same as Air Canada

It's confusing as heck...

I am hoping by end of June things change and Canada is added for valid certificate of vaccination , however not holding my breath for that.
Old May 21, 22, 8:56 pm

So... It appears the official policy is no longer being enforced.

If you click the "Feedback From Users" tab on the Visit Portugal website you'll see recent travelers reporting that:

1. Vaccination certificates are checked by the airlines, and Canadian (and US CDC) certs seem to be accepted by Air Canada, TAP, and others for exemption from covid testing.

2. Immigration officials in Portugal (as in the rest of Europe) generally do not check covid documentation.

3. Official sources, such as Visit Portugal and the Portuguese Consulate, still parrot the official rule that travelers without an EU certificate need to have a neg test.

Unless you're extremely risk adverse and want complete peace of mind, a Canadian vaccination certificate seems to be fine.
eagle215 likes this.
Old May 22, 22, 7:11 am
Original Poster

If you click the "Feedback From Users" tab on the Visit Portugal website you'll see recent travelers reporting that:

1. Vaccination certificates are checked by the airlines, and Canadian (and US CDC) certs seem to be accepted by Air Canada, TAP, and others for exemption from covid testing.

2. Immigration officials in Portugal (as in the rest of Europe) generally do not check covid documentation.

3. Official sources, such as Visit Portugal and the Portuguese Consulate, still parrot the official rule that travelers without an EU certificate need to have a neg test.

Unless you're extremely risk adverse and want complete peace of mind, a Canadian vaccination certificate seems to be fine.

Thank you for the info!
Old May 22, 22, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Wow, after reading all the "Feedback from Users" It looks like Testing is not required as long as you are Double Vaccinated in Canada and looking like they accept the Canadian Vaccine certificate.
Old Jun 14, 22, 8:45 pm

Programs: AC-E50K, IHG-P, Bonvoy-G
Still no changes on their website, confusing.
Old Jun 22, 22, 2:15 pm

To add to the confusion, Air Canada travel hub states that you do not need to test provided you are fully vaccinated. It also features a much larger list vs. the official EU/Portugal pages.

From AC:
"Travellers with vaccination certificates issued in Canada , Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Albania, Andorra, Armenia, Benin, Cape Verde, Colombia, El Salvador, Faroe Islands, Georgia, Israel, Indonesia, Jordan, Lebanon, Malaysia, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, Morocco, New Zealand, North Macedonia, Panama, San Marino, Serbia, Seychelles, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand, Tunisia, Togo, Turkey, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, Uruguay, Vietnam, Vatican City, Brazil, United States, Saudi Arabia, Australia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Qatar, mainland China are not required to have negative COVID-19 test results before travelling to Portugal.

Currently, only the EU Digital COVID Certificate of vaccination and vaccination certificates issued by third countries under reciprocal conditions are accepted. Please see mandatory proof of vaccination details on accepted certificates.

Travellers unable to present a valid certificate recognized by the Portuguese government will be required to comply with rules for unvaccinated travellers."
Old Jun 22, 22, 9:02 pm

Programs: AC-E50K, IHG-P, Bonvoy-G
It’s confusing but was recently updated with the list of countries. Seems like they forgot to remove the reference to EU digital certificate. I’m leaving June 28. Based on AC info, I don’t think I will get tested.
Old Jun 24, 22, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is now on the Portuguese entry requirement page, any ideas, because I haven't a clue what this means:

FLIGHTS FROM THE U.S.A. AND CANADA
Passengers from the United States of America and Canada may use, upon arrival in Portugal, the technological border control doors (e-gates) within the scope of the Automatic Recognition System for Documentally Identified Passengers (RAPID4ALL).
This measure is already in force at Lisbon and Ponta Delgada International Airports, and will soon be extended to Porto and Faro.

Edit - Ok, I found that it is just an automated gate, but the way it appeared in their entry requirements I thought this was related to covid vaccines / tests. Guess it remains the same, a negative test required if you got vaccinated in Canada.
Old Jun 27, 22, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by Prestige View Post
Itís confusing but was recently updated with the list of countries. Seems like they forgot to remove the reference to EU digital certificate. Iím leaving June 28. Based on AC info, I donít think I will get tested.
Please let us know how it goes. I am leaving a week after you. At this point I will not test as per AC.
Old Jun 27, 22, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by scoobybpc View Post
Please let us know how it goes. I am leaving a week after you. At this point I will not test as per AC.

https://www.visitportugal.com/en/con...ented-portugal

If you click on the "feedback from users" tab it seems to me as long has you had your booster/second shot 270 days before entering Portugal, Customs/borders are NOT checking for PCR/Antigen tests.

I was on the Air France site and after entering my connections is destination it also says testing not needed as long as proof of vaccination present.

If you want peace of mind, by all means get the PCR/Antigen test.

Last edited by eagle215; Jun 29, 22 at 8:05 pm Reason: sp
Old Jun 29, 22, 7:39 am

Air Canada updated their requirements yesterday:
"Fully vaccinated travellers from Canada , Brazil, United States, Saudi Arabia, Australia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Qatar, mainland China, South Korea may be required to have negative COVID-19 RT-PCR (or similar NAAT) test results. The test must be taken a maximum of 72 hours before the first departure to Portugal. Alternatively, travellers may present a laboratory antigen test (TRAg) taken a maximum of 24 hours before departure to Portugal. Only antigen tests acceptable by the European Union Health Committee are accepted for travel. The results must be in Portuguese, French, English, Spanish, or Italian and may be presented in paper or digital format. Self-tests are not accepted.

This testing requirement includes travellers in transit.

Different rules may apply to travellers going to the Azores or Madeira. Please check the source for more details.

Please contact your airline to confirm if proof of vaccination issued in your country or territory will be accepted."

Still confusing because it says "MAY be required"..

I checked out the source AC is using here:
https://imigrante.sef.pt/en/covid-19...-0be01b91-3c05

I find it interesting because it states:
All travel, essential and non-essential, are authorized for all passengers who enter by air, sea or river, regardless of their origin, as long as they present, at the time of departure, the following:
a) EU Digital COVID Certificate; or vaccination certificate (related to a COVID-19 vaccine allowed in this market); or a full recovery certification
or
b) Vaccination or recovery certificates issued by third countries, under conditions of reciprocity;
or
c) Supporting evidence of the negative nucleic acid amplification test (TAAN) or rapid antigen test (RAT) from the last 72 or 48 hours before boarding, accordingly.

Passengers who doesn’t have any of above, should be tested at the arrival (TAAN or RAT), but before entering national territory, at their own expense.
These measures do not apply to under 12 years old."

I guess worst case is I get tested when I land there.

EDIT: looking at TAP website and entering in my information, under quick facts it said no test required. Under testing section it says MAY be required (same as AC).

Last edited by scoobybpc; Jun 29, 22 at 8:52 am

Search this Thread