Wiki Posts
Search

Covid risk in Spain

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2022, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Covid risk in Spain

Thinking about a last minute trip to Barcelona, Madrid, San Sebastian. It is not really clear online what the covid situation is in Spain and I'm trying to decide if it is a good idea to make this trip. I'm fully vaxxed and had a booster so I am not really worried about severe illness. What I am very worried about is testing positive (even if asymptomatic) and not being able to return to the US on my flight back. I suspect I had covid in the past but I never had a positive test and I doubt I have had the newer variants. Objectively how significant is the current risk?
Old May 9, 2022, 8:13 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro (LT Gold), Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium, National Exec,Hyatt,Melia, BA Exec, Iberia+
They’re not testing a lot and most restrictions have been removed, so cases look low but hard to say for sure since not testing. Very few dying of COVID, but Spain has super high vaccination rates so that’s not necessarily indicative.
I would say you can lower risks by mostly eating outdoors and wearing a mask indoors the last few days of your trip. Given the time of year and nice weather, that would be not difficult to do. Great time of year to be in Spain.
Old May 9, 2022, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would say don't go if you are worried about Covid. Do go if you are in good health and not prone to hysteria. Covid is one of your smallest travel risks.
Old May 10, 2022, 1:03 am

Programs: UA PP, 2 MM; IC;
Originally Posted by spainlover
They’re not testing a lot and most restrictions have been removed, so cases look low but hard to say for sure since not testing. Very few dying of COVID, but Spain has super high vaccination rates so that’s not necessarily indicative.
I would say you can lower risks by mostly eating outdoors and wearing a mask indoors the last few days of your trip. Given the time of year and nice weather, that would be not difficult to do. Great time of year to be in Spain.
This is good advice. I live in Cadiz and things are pretty normal here with a very low incidence rate. That's not to say it's not still around but if you use common sense, mask up in close quarters and practice good hygiene, you should be fine. I take all cafe and restaurant visits outside. The weather is fine and there usually is a nice breeze. Spain only publishes it's incidence rate twice a week but generally the rates have been relatively lower than most other European major countries such as Germany, France and Italy.
spainlover likes this.
Old May 11, 2022, 5:00 pm

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Originally Posted by iahphx
I would say don't go if you are worried about Covid. Do go if you are in good health and not prone to hysteria. Covid is one of your smallest travel risks.
OP said they are worried about US regulations preventing reentry, not the disease. Definitely a reasonable fear, still.
LETTERBOY and spainlover like this.
Old May 12, 2022, 7:48 am

Programs: UA PP, 2 MM; IC;
Originally Posted by LupineChemist
OP said they are worried about US regulations preventing reentry, not the disease. Definitely a reasonable fear, still.
The question was "Objectively how significant is the current risk?" That is a general question about Covid in Spain at the moment not really limited to anything other that the incidence of Covid.

Last edited by Buzzman; May 12, 2022 at 9:43 am Reason: punctuation

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.