Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CDC Passport sufficient to enter Spain?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2022, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Buzzman
I responded to you some weeks ago (February 28) with the answer to this. There is no confusion... please read the official Spain entry site and enter your destination country to enter Spain.. at:

https://travelsafe.spain.info/en/

There you will find the following language:

1. If you have a certificate of vaccination (at least 14 days from the date of the last vaccination dose). Accepted vaccines: Pfizer-Biontech, Moderna, Astra-Zeneca, Jansen / Johnson & Johnson, Sinovac and Sinopharm.
Keep in mind that you need 14 days from the last dose at least and no more than 270 days since the date of administration of your last dose. From that moment on, your vaccination certificate must show the administration of your booster dose. You may prove it with your EU COVID Certificate as long as it is updated and in force.
But the question is whether this is actually ENFORCED. Because if it is, it is both insane and will tank the Spanish tourist industry. For instance, there are at least 100 million unboostered Americans right now, and booster uptake is now approaching zero. I'm sure UK booster numbers are similar.

BTW, if you enter Spain via land, is there even a system to check for your booster status?
Old Mar 25, 2022, 12:17 am

Programs: UA PP, 2 MM; IC;
Originally Posted by spainlover
I’m American. Unclear if my last dose needs to be within 270 days if I have a booster. I got a booster the 1st week of August as I was in a vaccine trial, so it’s been more than 270 days but 4th shots aren’t yet approved. Am I in some limbo?

There is no requirement to boost the booster... and it does not say that your booster must be within 270 days of entry.. only that you must have a booster after 270 days....
spainlover likes this.

Last edited by Buzzman; Mar 25, 2022 at 12:23 am
Old Mar 25, 2022, 12:20 am

Programs: UA PP, 2 MM; IC;
Originally Posted by iahphx
But the question is whether this is actually ENFORCED. Because if it is, it is both insane and will tank the Spanish tourist industry. For instance, there are at least 100 million unboostered Americans right now, and booster uptake is now approaching zero. I'm sure UK booster numbers are similar.

BTW, if you enter Spain via land, is there even a system to check for your booster status?
As to the first inquiry, if you plan to enter and have to obtain the Spth QR code for entry, whether you are boosted will be checked at that time and if not boosted they will not issue the code.
I came through over land last weekend and there are no controls.
Old Mar 25, 2022, 12:45 pm

Programs: IB+, BAEC
The enforcement is almost entirely on the airlines. There may be a random control when entering but it's about as likely as getting pulled in for a customs inspection, something that's never happened to me in Spain as a frequent traveler. Which is not to say the risk is zero, but I would bet more on not being able to board in the first place. The airline definitely will check your card and the Timatic requirements.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2022, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Buzzman
As to the first inquiry, if you plan to enter and have to obtain the Spth QR code for entry, whether you are boosted will be checked at that time and if not boosted they will not issue the code.
I came through over land last weekend and there are no controls.
I have a family member planning on flying to France next month, crossing the land border, and then flying back to the USA from Spain. She's not boostered. Will she likely be OK?

Meanwhile, I have plans to fly from the USA to Spain in June. I'm vaxed but not boostered and, given the current UK data (which "nobody" likes to talk about), there's no way I'd get a booster shot. I don't think Spain can keep their anti-scientific vaccination policy in place for very long, but maybe I need to start making alternative travel plans.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 12:38 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Another48 hour question...

We have an itinerary rhat takes us from CPT > DOH > LHR > AGP. Total time in travel is 46 hrs 25 minutes. We plan on checking in at the airport about 4 hrs prior to departure, so 50hrs 25m before arival in Spain. I'm a bit confused as to how I get the QR code to board my flight in CPT. We do have a EU QR code issued from Swiss, and have filled out the Spanish questionare and am in the waiting pattern until t-48. Just a bit nervous as to whether or not QR will let us check-in without the QR code from Spain since we will not be within the 48 hrs.....ahhhh plus as an added we got booted on our Q-suites flight QR1370 wich is a bummer. But at least now we'll get to try the non qsuites(CPT-DOH) , then an A380(DOH-LHR) and then Q-suites(DOH-SEA)
Old Mar 28, 2022, 1:19 am

Is that all one itinerary on a single ticket? There's got to be a very long layover there for what's less than 20 hours of being in the air.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 3:27 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by LupineChemist
Is that all one itinerary on a single ticket? There's got to be a very long layover there for what's less than 20 hours of being in the air.
All one ticket. We've got a 22.5 hr layover in DOH and a 4hr?? layover in LHR.

9.5 hr flight + 22.5 hr layover + 7 hr flight + 4 hr layover + 3 hr flight. = A very long 46 hour journey
Old Mar 28, 2022, 3:50 am

Seems like the solution is going to have to be to ask for a final doc-check at the boarding gate then and fill the form in the airport. Either that or see if you can get checked in only part of the way and check-in again. I doubt they'd let you board unless the docs for the entire itinerary are okay, though.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 6:07 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by LupineChemist
Seems like the solution is going to have to be to ask for a final doc-check at the boarding gate then and fill the form in the airport. Either that or see if you can get checked in only part of the way and check-in again. I doubt they'd let you board unless the docs for the entire itinerary are okay, though.
Might be a sily question, but the QR code issued by Switzerland, that is a valid EU QR code and if checked by any app shows we are vaccinated...does that not work?

You make me a bit nervous saying you doubt they'd let me board...I assume boarding is going to end at say around t-30-45 minutes before departure. That puts us at just slightly over 47 hrs from the time we would be boarding. Less than say 45 minutes to finalize the QR code from Spain. What all is involved in the process at t-48 hrs? Is all I need to do is upload a picture of our CDC card with 3x vax? I could easily get that done, but the question becomes...how quickly does the link / text come at t-48 and also how quickly the QR comes after dox being submitted.

I find it a bit strange QR would sell the ticket if one were not able to board right?
Old Mar 28, 2022, 6:13 am

The Swiss QR code is just the vax certificate. That is part of the document check that goes into the SpTH QR code. You can do most of the application beforehand and it's honestly basically just hitting send and getting a qr code back. Takes 5 minutes and even less if you have the application prepared already. But I can't imagine any airline letting someone board without everything completed as per Timatic. You might not be one of the first on board but all in all seems like plenty of time to get it sorted.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 6:16 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Although reading post 24 from Buzzman seems there is some possibility that the link could come through 2 days prior to arrival, not necessarily 48hrs, which would be the stroke of midnight on Mar 30th, possibly local CPT time. That would be reassuring, but the wait has got me a bit skittish.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 12:59 pm

Completed Spanish travel form this morning for arrival Sunday. Got QR code but did not ask to scan anything only date of last shot and type. Husband lost CDC card but we have CLEAR pass that has photo, dates of vaccination and boosters, and the QR code from Rite Aid pharmacy, which gave shots. Also have picture of CDC card. Will we have any problem on arrival?
Old Apr 1, 2022, 6:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP 6MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by shoreylj
Completed Spanish travel form this morning for arrival Sunday. Got QR code but did not ask to scan anything only date of last shot and type. Husband lost CDC card but we have CLEAR pass that has photo, dates of vaccination and boosters, and the QR code from Rite Aid pharmacy, which gave shots. Also have picture of CDC card. Will we have any problem on arrival?
As long as you have the SpTH form with the QR code, you should not have any problem entering Spain.
I returned today from a 10-day trip in Spain. Upon arrival at Madrid Barajas airport, my SpTH form was scanned and that was it. No other documentation was asked from me upon arrival.
During my entire stay, I did not have to show the SpTH form again anywhere, from hotels to restaurants to museums to palaces and so on.
seanp7 likes this.

Last edited by hxhbk; Apr 1, 2022 at 6:45 pm Reason: typo error
Old Apr 11, 2022, 9:24 am

We flew IB MIA/MAD last week and if I hadn’t asked at check in if he wanted to see my QR I don’t think he would have. Not much difference on arrival in MAD.

From my experience here are some things that I learned. I submitted my SpTH and then my wife’s a month before departure using the same email and when I tried to complete them hers went right through mine would not take. I finally redid my SpTH and added a zero in front of my passport number and it took.
Also my CDC card did not have my full name including Jr as my passport does and they didn’t care at immigration or where they checked our Covid documents. I expected that to happen at immigration but it actually happened at the main terminal T4 before baggage

Hope it helps

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.