Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums >
Reload this Page >

Destinations

Europe

Spain/Portugal/Gibraltar

Current Travel/Tourist Conditions in Spain?

Old Jan 18, 22, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

We have a trip booked to Madrid leaving February 8 return March 4 from the USA. Im having second thoughts about going.

im worried about how restrictive the COVID regulations are on a day to day basis and whether the restrictions will kill the joy of the trip. Wed also go to Valencia and Seville

Does anyone have current information that would help me make a decision?
Old Jan 18, 22, 1:14 pm

Currently in Spain. COVID restrictions here vary by autonomous community (much like they vary in the US by state). This is an English article from El Pas from late December that should still largely be accurate in terms of restrictions, but for the most up-to-date information you'll have to search by the autonomous community -- in your case the Comunidad de Madrid, the Comunidad Valenciana, and Andaluca.

Anecdotally, I have been in Barcelona and am now in Madrid. From the point of view of a tourist it is very restriction-light here in Madrid -- there is no COVID passport requirement for restaurants, bars, or nightlife. I'm not sure if there are capacity restrictions in place here, but given that it's January and a low tourist season, it hasn't impacted me much. I know you're not going to Catalonia, but there there was a 1am-6am curfew and a COVID passport requirement for restaurants and bars -- just to point out how the restrictions differ by region. You will want to look up what the rules are in the Comunidad Valenciana and Andaluca.

Nationally, there is both an indoors public space and an outdoors mask mandate (with some exceptions for exercise etc.) -- in both cities I've been, I'd estimate that ~60-70% of people are wearing masks outside and virtually 100% of individuals wear masks inside (dining and drinking aside of course). Indoors public masking is still very much the norm (and the rule) here.
random.parts and testing1.2.3 like this.
Old Jan 23, 22, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
I have been to Seville just before Christmas and was in Malaga last weekend and everything is very light in terme restrictions apart the classics : mask wearing and green pass to show to access most hotels and restaurants. The weather was absolutely great, so those were lovely weekends. None of this should prevent you to go IMO.
HalconBCN likes this.
Old Jan 23, 22, 3:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
delete
Old Jan 30, 22, 11:20 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Silver
Go ahead with your trip - enjoy the sights, food, and scenery. Nice sunny days in Madrid right now, even if the evenings are chilly.
Old Jan 31, 22, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. We are going to go
Goldorak likes this.
Old Feb 3, 22, 6:06 pm

Tagging on this thread hope OP doesn't mind. Looking at possibly BCN in March. Anyone on the ground with feedback etc? Much thanks.
Old Feb 4, 22, 7:04 am

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
Originally Posted by sof_lance View Post
Tagging on this thread hope OP doesn't mind. Looking at possibly BCN in March. Anyone on the ground with feedback etc? Much thanks.
Was just in BCN last week. Was asked for proof of vaccination at restaurants I went to.
Don't think I had to show this at Picasso Museum.
Masks were required indoors, and maybe even outdoors, but not everyone complied if that was the case (however, many were wearing masks outside).
sof_lance likes this.
Old Feb 5, 22, 6:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The outdoor mask requirement will reportedly be lifted next Thursday, Feb. 10.

Spain to Remove Outside Mask Mandate Next Thursday
sof_lance and Helsinki Flyer like this.
Old Feb 7, 22, 3:13 am

Programs: PC(QR), IB, CX Marco Polo, SAA Voyager
Can someone advise us, going to Spain from Germany, if a Covid test is required prior to leaving Germany? PCR or Antigen test and what are the time limits? Thanks. We understand that we must complete the SpTH form less than 48 hours before arriving in Germany.
Old Feb 7, 22, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
The outdoor mask requirement will reportedly be lifted next Thursday, Feb. 10.

Spain to Remove Outside Mask Mandate Next Thursday
This is very good news. I hate the masks
Old Feb 9, 22, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bakoboy View Post

No one likes masks especially outdoors but they are essential indoors not only to protect you but others as well. I have a 90 year old mother I am caregiver for and I like the idea of masks indoors.
testing1.2.3 likes this.
Old Feb 11, 22, 12:34 pm

Programs: BAEC
Spain has relaxed it's restrictions for teenagers, almost in time for half term, updated rules from Monday...

Spain relaxes Covid restrictions for UK teenagers
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60335735

Unvaccinated British teenagers will be allowed into Spain from Monday with a negative PCR test, Spanish tourism minister Fernando Valds has told the BBC.
Old Feb 12, 22, 1:22 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by bakoboy View Post
just think how much you would like the ventilator as the sedative wears off
Old Feb 12, 22, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
As Andrewesque says, both the rules and the customs vary by autonomous community. I live in Madrid and here, we have just been given permission to take off our masks, outside.
Inside you wear a mask everywhere and many (I would say 50% of the population in the suburban neighborhood where I live) are still wearing masks outside. The percentage would be higher in the city center where there is more crowding. On the other hand, I have not been asked for a "vaccine passport" or evidence of having been vaccinated, at restaurants or bars. Of course, we don't have the resistance to vaccination that we read about in the US (and now, Canada), so just about everyone who is eligible for vaccination has had the shots.
bitterproffit likes this.

Search this Thread