Search

Current local restrictions - Barcelona/Valencia

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2021, 11:15 pm
Original Poster
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Current local restrictions - Barcelona/Valencia

What are the current local restrictions in Barcelona and Valencia, specially the ones impacting a tourist ?
Also, and while I am fully aware this is crystal ball territory, do you think there is a chance more restrictions are brought in between Christmas and New Year ?
Old Dec 21, 2021, 12:35 pm

I cannot speak to current restrictions but given the way the numbers are looking in Spain right now (very rapid increase and currently at 79% of prior highest peak and still rising) I'd say further restrictions are clearly a possibility.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 1:22 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Air Europa Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
Meeting today between central government and the 17 regions to discuss restrictions. Spain is very decentralized so each region is like its own fiefdom. Some regions want to make mask wearing compulosry in outdoor spaces again. Madrid is totally against any new restrictions. Catalonia is pushing for a curfew between 1am and 6am and closing night life. It doesn't look like a heavy lockdown is on the cards. We will know more by Friday.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 5:29 am
Original Poster
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Thanks.
I will arrive the 28th in Valencia and the 2nd January in Barcelona. A late night curfew is OK for me. Mask outdoor no problem either.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 1:41 pm

Measures announced today. Starting Friday, masks will be compulsory outdoors again in all of Spain, except in "rural" areas or when doing sport. The regions will get more cash to beef up the healthcare system for the expected surge. The expected celebrations for January 6th (los reyes) will go ahead as normal.
Catalonia will get legal approval for its proposed 1am-6am curfew, which should come into effect on Friday.
Valencia isn't planning any restrictions of its own, its president seems to be somewhere on the middle of the scale in terms of his views on restrictions, with the Madrid president opposed to any restrictions whatsoever. It seems like the whole city of Madrid could be dying of Covid and its president would keep things open under her slogan of "freedom", as she was successful with that strategy during the previous wave last winter.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by HalconBCN
Measures announced today. Starting Friday, masks will be compulsory outdoors again in all of Spain, except in "rural" areas or when doing sport. The regions will get more cash to beef up the healthcare system for the expected surge. The expected celebrations for January 6th (los reyes) will go ahead as normal.
Catalonia will get legal approval for its proposed 1am-6am curfew, which should come into effect on Friday.
Valencia isn't planning any restrictions of its own, its president seems to be somewhere on the middle of the scale in terms of his views on restrictions, with the Madrid president opposed to any restrictions whatsoever. It seems like the whole city of Madrid could be dying of Covid and its president would keep things open under her slogan of "freedom", as she was successful with that strategy during the previous wave last winter.
well, luckily vaccinated people are not dying from the Omicron variant or even being hospitalized so smart of her to not shut down the economy again.
LETTERBOY and Kacee like this.
Old Dec 23, 2021, 4:28 am

Originally Posted by HalconBCN
Measures announced today. Starting Friday, masks will be compulsory outdoors again in all of Spain, except in "rural" areas or when doing sport.
Seeing there are airplane tickets for 125 euros roundtrip from HEL to Canariffa, I was tempted to fly during the holidays. Not any more. Being masked on a holiday even outdoors is a no go for me.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2021, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by Helsinki Flyer
Seeing there are airplane tickets for 125 euros roundtrip from HEL to Canariffa, I was tempted to fly during the holidays. Not any more. Being masked on a holiday even outdoors is a no go for me.
Frankly, it's a minor irritation but remember you don't need a mask when inside a cafe, bar, at the beach or walking in rural areas. So basically, just when walking around busy streets. And even then, police are not stopping people for incorrect mask wearing so long as it's at least covering your lips, it's ok.
Old Dec 23, 2021, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by theplayer
well, luckily vaccinated people are not dying from the Omicron variant or even being hospitalized so smart of her to not shut down the economy again.
The jury is still out on that. Either way, the current restrictions are keeping the economy open.
Old Dec 23, 2021, 10:07 am

Programs: AA EP, MUCCI, Proudly BA Blue,.
I was supposed to go to Spain with family after Christmas but I just cancelled - despite the good news that things are to remain open for the most part, we just can’t risk getting infected with the Omicron variant that has proven to be so much more infectious than previous variants. Getting stuck in a hotel room in Spain for ten days when I gotta get a kid back to school is not an option.

heartbreaking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.