Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Spain/Portugal/Gibraltar
Reload this Page >

Emed Abbott's BinaxNOW for entry to Portugal

Old Sep 4, 2021, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club

Since Portugal doesnt recognize the US Vaccine card and I dont know of any way to obtain a EU QR code, I will need a test to enter Portugal (from Spain).
Has anyone used test results from the Emed Abbott's BinaxNOW test (Proctored Home Test)? (Also for hotels/restaurants)
Otherwise, I will have to get tested while in Spain.
JAgins likes this.

Last edited by eng3; Sep 4, 2021 at 9:18 am
Old Sep 8, 2021, 1:46 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
I just used the BinaxNOW (video supervised call) with result appearing in Navica/eMed app as proof to get on the TAP flight to LIS. Worked absolutely fine. (Aug 30)
Also worked as proof to check into hotel.
Old Sep 13, 2021, 1:35 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Bonvoy Gold, National EC
FWIW, I took an antigen test in Madrid because I wasn't sure about the BinaxNOW test. Never showed it to anyone. Flew MAD-FAO on Iberia on 8/29, and rather than asking for a negative Covid test, they asked to see our CDC vaccine cards. That was fine and we boarded without issue. That was also perfectly fine for our hotel in Portugal as well. I note that in both cases, that appears to be an improper application of the rules, so I wouldn't rely on that, but you might find Europeans to be more willing to accept your CDC vaccination card than the regulations would suggest.
seanp7 likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 6:51 pm

Any other DP of CDC cards or US digital QR codes acceptable in Portugal entry?
Old Dec 3, 2021, 1:19 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, AS MVP Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
Any recent DPs of using eMed BinaxNOW Antigen test to enter LIS? Flying to LIS end of this month from SFO -> AMS -> LIS and would probably do the video supervised antigen test with 48hrs of our flight.
Old Dec 29, 2021, 4:31 am

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by zoneflyer
Any recent DPs of using eMed BinaxNOW Antigen test to enter LIS? Flying to LIS end of this month from SFO -> AMS -> LIS and would probably do the video supervised antigen test with 48hrs of our flight.
I used it on LHR-OPO on 26DEC. Was verified at check in, prior to boarding, and on arrival and no issues at all.
zoneflyer likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2021, 3:53 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
I was at EWR on 25DEC to fly to Spain via Lisbon. The family next to me had their eMed BinaxNow test results rejected at EWR the day before and had to reschedule. The agent said that lab tests were required and at home test, even one that was video supervised, didn't meet the standard.

I'm flying back to the US in a few days again via LIS. I'm very uneasy as to whether to use the test and if so, what the best fallback option is should the results not be accepted.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 2:10 pm

Ouch

Originally Posted by enfuego
I was at EWR on 25DEC to fly to Spain via Lisbon. The family next to me had their eMed BinaxNow test results rejected at EWR the day before and had to reschedule. The agent said that lab tests were required and at home test, even one that was video supervised, didn't meet the standard.
That is not good news...was planning on using the proctored test while connecting through Lisbon both ways in April.

May I ask which airline you were flying?
Old Jan 5, 2022, 7:55 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National

I'm flying back to the US in a few days again via LIS. I'm very uneasy as to whether to use the test and if so, what the best fallback option is should the results not be accepted.
This was likely because for entering Portugal "Only antigen tests acceptable by the European Union Health Committee are accepted for travel." and that probably doesn't include the eMed BinaxNow tests.

Those tests ARE accepted by the U.S., so there should be no problem using them to go home. I used them twice in November flying home to the U.S. from Portugal (on LH in OPO and on AC in LIS).
Old Jan 6, 2022, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by chrisny2
This was likely because for entering Portugal "Only antigen tests acceptable by the European Union Health Committee are accepted for travel." and that probably doesn't include the eMed BinaxNow tests.
Maybe. But there are numerous posts on this forum and TripAdvisor where people have used the proctored BinaxNow test to successfully enter Portugal.

This is why I was surprised by enfuego's post.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 8:03 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
If I hadn't heard the experience of another traveler at EWR, I would have traveled with the BinaxNow test and not thought twice. It was one DP and I considered rolling the dice because my BinaxNow tests expire in a couple of months and I'm cheap that way. Ultimately, it was only 30 Euros to get lab tested in Madrid, so I bit the bullet now wanting to chance anything.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 9:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond

Originally Posted by chrisny2

Those tests ARE accepted by the U.S., so there should be no problem using them to go home. I used them twice in November flying home to the U.S. from Portugal (on LH in OPO and on AC in LIS).
If I hadn't heard the experience of another traveler at EWR, I would have traveled with the BinaxNow test and not thought twice. It was one DP and I considered rolling the dice because my BinaxNow tests expire in a couple of months and I'm cheap that way. Ultimately, it was only 30 Euros to get lab tested in Madrid, so I bit the bullet now wanting to chance anything.
OMG this makes me nervous. We are also flying EWR-LIS-BCN on TAP using ANA miles and I came here to read about requirements for transiting Lisbon. 3 of us are traveling - 2 live in BOS and 1 lives in LAX and we are meeting in EWR for our flight so we have to do some major math calculations to figure out when we each need to be tested.

So I thought the proctored BinaxNow would be perfect to LEAVE the US and enter LIS and BCN. But now it seems that won't work? Where is the best source to find testing requirements for transiting Lisbon? There is so much differing information all over the internet. enfuego what test did you end up using that worked?
Old Jan 9, 2022, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by Graciecatt
So I thought the proctored BinaxNow would be perfect to LEAVE the US and enter LIS and BCN. But now it seems that won't work? Where is the best source to find testing requirements for transiting Lisbon?
It would indeed be perfect...if it works. As Enfuego points out, the denial is only one data point, the 1st denial that I have read about. OTOH, I have read a dozen posts on here and other message boards where travelers entered Portugal successfully with the proctored BinaxNow test. My plan is to take BinaxNow 48 hours before departure and enter the (hopefully) negative test result on United "Travel-Ready" website.

If the "Travel-Ready" system accepts it, I would expect that the check-in agent would as well. We'll arrive real early in case things don't go as planned .
Old Jan 9, 2022, 7:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ReachELS
It would indeed be perfect...if it works. As Enfuego points out, the denial is only one data point, the 1st denial that I have read about. OTOH, I have read a dozen posts on here and other message boards where travelers entered Portugal successfully with the proctored BinaxNow test. My plan is to take BinaxNow 48 hours before departure and enter the (hopefully) negative test result on United "Travel-Ready" website.

If the "Travel-Ready" system accepts it, I would expect that the check-in agent would as well. We'll arrive real early in case things don't go as planned .
ReachELS please post your experience if you remember to do so and if you are able. Thank you!
Old Jan 10, 2022, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by Graciecatt
ReachELS please post your experience if you remember to do so and if you are able. Thank you!
I don't leave until March 31 which may (or may not) be in time to help you. I will post in any event.
Graciecatt likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.