Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Spain/Portugal/Gibraltar
Reload this Page >

Emed Abbott's BinaxNOW for entry to Portugal

Emed Abbott's BinaxNOW for entry to Portugal

Old Mar 28, 2022, 1:30 pm

Graciecatt,

Did you end up using BinaxNow from BOS to LIS? If so did you have any issues?
Old Mar 28, 2022, 6:48 pm

I am not Gracicatt but she has not left yet. I leave this Thursday and she indicated in an earlier post that she leaves "shortly" after me.

I will not be able to answer your question as I do not plan to use the Binax Now test to enter Portugal. I do plan to submit my Swiss Covid Certificate to United later this evening. If accepted, great. if not, I have an IDNow test at Walgreens scheduled on Wednesday.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by ReachELS
I am not Gracicatt but she has not left yet. I leave this Thursday and she indicated in an earlier post that she leaves "shortly" after me.

I will not be able to answer your question as I do not plan to use the Binax Now test to enter Portugal. I do plan to submit my Swiss Covid Certificate to United later this evening. If accepted, great. if not, I have an IDNow test at Walgreens scheduled on Wednesday.

Thanks very much! I am guessing you are a US Citizen? I will be curious to know if the Swiss Cert works - I have one from France that I got when traveling last month and think I may try to use that. Unfortunately, TAP does not have a way to submit in advance (that I am aware of) so any more info greatly appreciated!!
Old Mar 28, 2022, 7:09 pm

I am indeed a US citizen and am expecting the Swiss Covid Certificate to work - let you know in 90 minutes!

Fingers crossed.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 7:40 pm

I am indeed a US citizen and am expecting the Swiss Covid Certificate to work - let you know in 90 minutes!

Fingers crossed.
Good luck - and thanks so much!
Old Mar 28, 2022, 9:16 pm

Fingers crossed.
All green check marks on the United Travel Ready site - I think that I am good to go. Next hurdle...the gate agent.

Last edited by ReachELS; Mar 29, 2022 at 6:21 am
Old Mar 31, 2022, 7:06 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond

Fingers crossed.
Originally Posted by Leesa Hudak
Good luck - and thanks so much!
Hi - sorry I didn't see this earlier. I really wish TAP had some sort of advance check to make sure we'll be ok. We are expecting that the Swiss Cert will be OK but just to be absolutely sure that the Gate Agent doesn't wonder about the validity of our Swiss cert, we downloaded the German Corona-Warn app and loaded our Swiss cert into it. The reason for doing this was pointed out to me that Germany is part of the Schengen countries and it even says EU Digital Covid Certificate right on the top so there's no possibility that a Gate Agent will think it's not an actual EUDCC.

I guess it remains to be seen if a Gate Agent will take it upon themselves to wonder how US citizens can get a valid EUDCC but hopefully we won't encounter an agent who feels powerful/challenging. I'm STILL wondering if we should test before we leave just to be 110% sure.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by Graciecatt
I'm STILL wondering if we should test before we leave just to be 110% sure.
I should be able to provide you with some insights in about 8 hours. I will post after reaching the gate at IAD.

PS - Thanks for the German Corona-Warn tip - have followed your lead.
Graciecatt likes this.

Last edited by ReachELS; Mar 31, 2022 at 9:43 am
Old Mar 31, 2022, 11:02 am

I should be able to provide you with some insights in about 8 hours. I will post after reaching the gate at IAD.

PS - Thanks for the German Corona-Warn tip - have followed your lead.
Thank you - good luck and keep me posted!

Editing to add - did you test as a backup?
Old Mar 31, 2022, 12:34 pm

did you test as a backup?
No - according to both the United Travel Ready center and Portugal, we don't need them. The whole purpose of the Swiss Certificate was so that we didn't have to test.

My backup is:
1. I am carrying the rules with me in case there is pushback. It is indisputable that we meet the entry requirements.
2. I have a pair of Binax Now tests in my backpack (even though their acceptance is not guaranteed).

We have 3 hours between arrival at IAD and boarding.
Graciecatt likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 5:08 pm

I am in the United Club lounge at IAD. All the United personnel looked at was my boarding pass which showed “Travel Ready” based on the documentation I submitted Monday night:

- Swiss Covid Certificate
- Portugal PLF
- But NO TEST

The gate agent told me that they would not need to see anything besides my boarding pass and passport prior to boarding.

graciecatt - obviously, I am dealing with United. Unfortunately, I cannot opine in how TAP will handle things.
Graciecatt likes this.

Last edited by ReachELS; Mar 31, 2022 at 6:20 pm
Old Mar 31, 2022, 7:31 pm

I am in the United Club lounge at IAD. All the United personnel looked at was my boarding pass which showed “Travel Ready” based on the documentation I submitted Monday night:

- Swiss Covid Certificate
- Portugal PLF
- But NO TEST

The gate agent told me that they would not need to see anything besides my boarding pass and passport prior to boarding.

graciecatt - obviously, I am dealing with United. Unfortunately, I cannot opine in how TAP will handle things.
Thanks ReachELS . I am paranoid b/c all we need to do is get on the plane and we are golden after that. It sounds like you are all set - have a wonderful trip!!
Old Apr 2, 2022, 10:42 pm

Thanks ReachELS . I am paranoid b/c all we need to do is get on the plane and we are golden after that. It sounds like you are all set - have a wonderful trip!!
Graciecatt...2 things:
  1. Lisbon is simply spectacular - I would recommend a visit here someday. We will return.
  2. As you are transiting here, I hope that you are not required to clear customs. The line at passport control was 2 hours long for us and I have heard from other travelers that they had a 3-4 hour queue. I have never experienced anything like that before..
Old Apr 3, 2022, 10:17 am

Graciecatt...2 things:
  1. Lisbon is simply spectacular - I would recommend a visit here someday. We will return.
  2. As you are transiting here, I hope that you are not required to clear customs. The line at passport control was 2 hours long for us and I have heard from other travelers that they had a 3-4 hour queue. I have never experienced anything like that before..
ReachELS UGH yes I think we have to clear customs as we are entering Schengen for the first time. I will do some research and ask some questions to be sure. If all goes well, we have a 5 hour layover which sounds like it might just be enough time with no time to relax in the lounge.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 11:13 am

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Just passed through LIS en route to MAD. Yes, the line for Shengen passport control was at least 90 minutes. Thankfully our connection was tight enough that we got pulled out of the line halfway through. The TP lounge was packed to the brim, no open seats.

AC relied on our CDC cards for Portugal transit. Portugal definitely checked the cards upon arrival and my EU DCC courtesy of Panama worked just fine.
Graciecatt likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.