Emed Abbott's BinaxNOW for entry to Portugal

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Emed Abbott's BinaxNOW for entry to Portugal

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2022, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by swiftaw
That is, vaccinated people with proof of vaccination from a a non-EU, non-reciprocal country (for example, the US and their CDC card) would still need to present a negative test. Is this correct?

In addition, I think this would also imply that if an american used their CDC card to acquire a Swiss Covid Cenrtificate, then they could use the latter to enter Portugal without testing, is this correct?
My understanding (for what little that is worth) is that the answer to both of your questions is "Yes, that is correct".
Old Feb 18, 2022, 9:07 am

Land crossing to Portugal

We will be in Seville and want to go to Faro. We’re US citizens with CDC vax cards. We will need to get tested before entry to Portugal. I have the Bionex tests, but I was going to use them to go back to the USA.

Are there places in Seville where we can get tested to satisfy Portugal’s entry requirements? Also, will I have to get a new Spanish QR when I go back to Spain for return flight from Madrid
Old Feb 23, 2022, 10:07 am

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Originally Posted by ReachELS
My understanding (for what little that is worth) is that the answer to both of your questions is "Yes, that is correct".
I'm appreciative for the information you've shared in this thread.

We're traveling to MAD via YYZ and LIS in early April, and as much as I'd like to drop the LIS transit, it's not likely to happen. Our family is all fully vaxxed and boosted but some also tested positive for Covid within the past 2 weeks.

As we understand it, we can not rely on our CDC vax cards to allow us to transit LIS, however we can use them for entry at MAD, if they are even checked there. We also may have issues with the BinaxNow proctored test for the LIS transit because it's not on the list of approved laboratory tests, although there is lot of anecdotal evidence of them being accepted. I would imagine we also don't want to be taking PCR tests 6 weeks after having Covid, as the PCR tests may still be positive.

So, I think we're looking at trying to get Swiss digital vax certs and as an alternative, we should also line up a lab antigen-test within 24 hours of our departure to YYZ. Perhaps it's worth a call to our airline (AC) to see if they will permit the BinaxNow test, as that would greatly simplify things??
Old Feb 23, 2022, 6:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by work2fly
I'm appreciative for the information you've shared in this thread.

We're traveling to MAD via YYZ and LIS in early April, and as much as I'd like to drop the LIS transit, it's not likely to happen. Our family is all fully vaxxed and boosted but some also tested positive for Covid within the past 2 weeks.

As we understand it, we can not rely on our CDC vax cards to allow us to transit LIS, however we can use them for entry at MAD, if they are even checked there. We also may have issues with the BinaxNow proctored test for the LIS transit because it's not on the list of approved laboratory tests, although there is lot of anecdotal evidence of them being accepted. I would imagine we also don't want to be taking PCR tests 6 weeks after having Covid, as the PCR tests may still be positive.

So, I think we're looking at trying to get Swiss digital vax certs and as an alternative, we should also line up a lab antigen-test within 24 hours of our departure to YYZ. Perhaps it's worth a call to our airline (AC) to see if they will permit the BinaxNow test, as that would greatly simplify things??
I would absolutely get the EU certificate. It's easy, fast, and cheap. I would be less likely to want to hang my hat on a single answer about the Abbott test from whoever happens to answer the phone at Air Canada, much as we here in this thread still have to make up our own minds about the Abbott test from listening to all the anecdotes. Could your recently-positive family members get a PCR test a week or so before your flight to see if they're still positive and then you'll know what you're dealing with? Then in conjunction with the EU cert you'll have time to get a doctor's note of recovery, and you should have a better idea how to proceed. In our case, we are not going until June and hopefully Portugal will change their minds for transits. We have our EU certs, but if we were leaving tomorrow, I would also have us get tested at a local clinic within Portugal's window just to be safe and not plan on using the Abbott tests until we come home.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by Graciecatt
I would absolutely get the EU certificate. It's easy, fast, and cheap. I would be less likely to want to hang my hat on a single answer about the Abbott test from whoever happens to answer the phone at Air Canada, much as we here in this thread still have to make up our own minds about the Abbott test from listening to all the anecdotes. Could your recently-positive family members get a PCR test a week or so before your flight to see if they're still positive and then you'll know what you're dealing with? Then in conjunction with the EU cert you'll have time to get a doctor's note of recovery, and you should have a better idea how to proceed. In our case, we are not going until June and hopefully Portugal will change their minds for transits. We have our EU certs, but if we were leaving tomorrow, I would also have us get tested at a local clinic within Portugal's window just to be safe and not plan on using the Abbott tests until we come home.
Unfortunately, it appears the Swiss digital certificate is no longer available to non-Swiss citizens/residents.

So, unless the rules change, that leaves us relying on 24 hour antigen tests at laboratories/pharmacies both on the outbound and return, since we're transiting LIS both ways. I like the idea of doing a trial PCR test a week in advance, as if those come back negative, we can do them again within 72 hours which would be better than last minute testing.

Also, frankly, the Portuguese are being such pains about this that we're also looking at changing our flights to either go direct to Spain, or somewhere else that accepts CDC vax cards or the Biinax proctored test. This isn't easy, as our biz tix were about $1,500 each, so we're looking at having to pay significantly more to make changes.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 10:33 am

Unfortunately, it appears the Swiss digital certificate is no longer available to non-Swiss citizens/residents.

So, unless the rules change, that leaves us relying on 24 hour antigen tests at laboratories/pharmacies both on the outbound and return, since we're transiting LIS both ways. I like the idea of doing a trial PCR test a week in advance, as if those come back negative, we can do them again within 72 hours which would be better than last minute testing.

Also, frankly, the Portuguese are being such pains about this that we're also looking at changing our flights to either go direct to Spain, or somewhere else that accepts CDC vax cards or the Biinax proctored test. This isn't easy, as our biz tix were about $1,500 each, so we're looking at having to pay significantly more to make changes.
Wow the Swiss closed that quickly. Although I don't know how long it was available prior to us learning about them and applying. It's just me but I wouldn't change my flights/destination for $$$ just to avoid a test. You have time to work with it and not be surprised or shut out.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 6:03 am

From: https://www.bag.admin.ch/bag/en/home...ml#-1428730671

"The certificate requirement within Switzerland was lifted on 17 February 2022. For travel outside Switzerland, depending on the measures in place in the country in question, COVID certificates may still be required. For this reason, certificates are still being issued. COVID certificates that have already been issued retain their period of validity. In addition to this, the cantons also have the authority to order measures (such as a certificate requirement) within their canton to prevent the spread of communicable diseases."

The Swiss issued certificates to tourists for the legitimate purpose of facilitating travel to Switzerland. As the certificates are no longer required to visit, it makes perfect sense that they would limit new certificates to Swiss citizens allowing them to travel to countries still requiring a certificate...like Portugal.

So it appears that this "back-door" EUDCC loophole is closed.

For those who did receive Swiss certs, "COVID certificates that have already been issued retain their period of validity."
Old Mar 8, 2022, 9:58 pm

Has anyone actually used the binax now home (video proctored) antigen test to get into Portugal from the US lately? Would love to hear if it works
Leesa Hudak likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 4:19 am

Originally Posted by off2rome
Has anyone actually used the binax now home (video proctored) antigen test to get into Portugal from the US lately? Would love to hear if it works
It's not officially on the list of approved tests, so YMMV depending on who you're flying. I was told on the AC forum that they absolutely won't accept that test at SFO.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 8:08 am

But if you were lucky enough to have jumped on the Swiss EU Digital Covid Certificate like we were, will having that EUDCC as a US citizen suffice so we don't have to test to transit LIS? I can't find anything definitive that looks official.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 8:10 am

But if you were lucky enough to have jumped on the Swiss EU Digital Covid Certificate like we were, will having that EUDCC as a US citizen suffice so we don't have to test to transit LIS? I can't find anything definitive that looks official.
Unfortunately I missed that! However in reading the posts above the consensus answer seems to be "yes" the Swiss certificate will work
Graciecatt likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 9:28 am

https://www.visitportugal.com/en/con...ented-portugal

Or a valid vaccination certificate (with a complete vaccination schedule or a vaccine booster) or recovery certificate issued by a third country, under reciprocal conditions: Albania, Andorra, Armenia, Benin, Cabo Verde, El Salvador, Faroe Islands, Georgia, Israel, Iceland, Jordan, Lebanon, Liechtenstein, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, Morocco, New Zealand, North Macedonia, Norway, Panama, San Marino, Serbia, Singapore, Switzerland, Taiwan, Thailand, Tunisia, Togo, Turkey, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom and the Crown Dependencies (Jersey, Guernsey and the Isle of Man), Uruguay, The Vatican
Underline is mine. You're good to go with only the Swiss certificate.
Graciecatt likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 10:32 am

https://www.visitportugal.com/en/con...ented-portugal

Underline is mine. You're good to go with only the Swiss certificate.
I read that underline part as being the conditions/countries for a recovery certificate. I'm only assuming that the EUDCC is one of Portugal's "valid vaccination certificates". If a Swiss-issued EUDCC is considered valid is the part I'm having trouble finding spelled out.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 11:32 am

I read that underline part as being the conditions/countries for a recovery certificate. I'm only assuming that the EUDCC is one of Portugal's "valid vaccination certificates". If a Swiss-issued EUDCC is considered valid is the part I'm having trouble finding spelled out.
I believe the reciprocity requirement applies to both the vax certificate or the certificate of recovery. The below link is cited at the end of the paragraph regarding Portugal's requirements. It says the Swiss certificate is accepted the same as an EU certificate.

https://ec.europa.eu/info/live-work-...certificate_en
Graciecatt likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 11:51 am

the visit Portugal site specially calls out Switzerland as valid. Plus Switzerland is Schengen associated so still considered EUDCC. Plus you can import your Swiss pass into any EU app.
Graciecatt likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.