Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ES] Foodie stops for San Sebastian, La Rioja, and Bilbao

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2021, 8:44 am
Original Poster

[ES] Foodie stops for San Sebastian, La Rioja, and Bilbao

Planning a trip to this area of Spain soon, and visiting these three areas (and the places in between).

I've now sorted out where to stay in those areas, but wondering if anyone had recommendations for good restaurants? I have a car, so am relatively flexible where to drive. Quality of wine list not that important, as we've both given up alcohol.

Looking for a few splurge ones (Michelin star or thereabouts), and also above average places (mains eur25-40), and also any unusual or unique places to check out as well. We're both seafood and meat lovers, although would prefer restaurants that have a balanced menu and more refined and creative smaller dishes rather than just massive surf and turf portions.
Old Aug 21, 2021, 10:49 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro (LT Gold), Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium, National Exec,Hyatt,Melia, BA Exec, Iberia+
I’m going to San Sebastián in just over a week. I crowdsourced vía Spanish friends and friends of friends for recommendations and got A LOT of recommendations, including some places that came up over and over again. Will report back once I’ve been. There are many pintxos bars, so you could go to a number of restaurants and just try their top pintxo (a pintxo is a couple bites of food, smaller than a tapas portion).
I’ll be on that portion of my trip alone, so choosing not to do any of the Michelin **/*** restaurants, but certainly Arzak, Akelarre, Mugaritz and Martin Berasategui would be amazing on high-end options.
bitterproffit likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2021, 8:58 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by spainlover
...so choosing not to do any of the Michelin **/*** restaurants, but certainly Arzak, Akelarre, Mugaritz and Martin Berasategui would be amazing on high-end options.
Those are way more than €25-40 for the main course. Our meal at Arzak three years ago was at the time the most expensive we've ever had and one of the most memorable. We've since had two more expensive meals, Narisawa in Tokyo and the late SOMNI in Beverly Hills.

From our research of pintxos bars. I wish that I could remember where we actually stopped during our pintxos crawls. Everything that we had was excellent.

Bilbao:
  • Berton (Michelin Plate)
  • Sasibil (Michelin Plate)
  • Gure-Toki (Michelin Plate)
    • extra creative
  • El Globo (Michelin Plate)
  • Irrintzi
    • looks a bit more interesting than the typical pintxos
Donostia /San Sebastian:
  • Ganbara (Michelin Plate/recommended by multiple articles)
  • Bar Zabaleta
    • just for the tortilla
  • Bar Txepetxa
    • Can't find a menu, but specializes in anchovies
  • Bergera (Michelin Plate/recommended by multiple articles)
  • La Cuchara de San Telmo
    • These are plated - not served as toast like most other places
    • A bit more "fine dining" style food
    • very highly recommended
  • Bar Nestor
    • Need to put down name an hour before they open for tortilla
    • Just serve tortilla, steak, tomato salad, padron peppers
  • Bar Haizea
    • A bit more old school
  • Bar Martinez (Michelin Plate)
    • interesting mix, worth a stop
  • A Fuego Negro (Michelin Plate)
    • some different options from other pintxos
    • more veggies
  • Gran Sol (Michelin Plate)
    • recommend Jaizkibel, Hondarribia and Huevo Mollete
For recommendations by chefs/owners two Basque restaurants in NYC's East Village, take a look at this article:
wmz and Laur0824 like this.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro (LT Gold), Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium, National Exec,Hyatt,Melia, BA Exec, Iberia+
[QUOTE=TWA884;33509758]Those are way more than €25-40 for the main course. Our meal at Arzak three years ago was at the time the most expensive we've ever had and one of the most memorable. We've since had two more expensive meals, Narisawa in Tokyo and the late SOMNI in Beverly Hills.

yes, he said splurges that were Michelin star or thereabouts as well as places in range of €25-40 for main course. Those are much pricier than €25-40, but would hit the splurge criterion.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Sorry I'm bad with names so no recommendation on restaurants, but I remember the cod and the octopus being fantastic in San Sebastien. We had a guide that was a member of a local supper club whose recommendation for Pinxtos was to try one thing at each place instead of trying to get everything from one place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.