Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Spain/Portugal/Gibraltar
Reload this Page >

Spain and vaccinated.... Mixed messages??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2021, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum Pro (LT Gold), Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium, National Exec,Hyatt,Melia, BA Exec, Iberia+
Vaccinated travelers from all countries allowed in Spain from June 7

Vaccinated travelers from all countries will be allowed in Spain from June 7th on.

English
https://www.travelandleisure.com/tra...rican-tourists
Español
https://www.google.com/amp/s/cnnespa...ajar-orix/amp/
HalconBCN likes this.
Old May 23, 2021, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by spainlover
Vaccinated travelers from all countries will be allowed in Spain from June 7th on.

English
https://www.travelandleisure.com/tra...rican-tourists
Español
https://www.google.com/amp/s/cnnespa...ajar-orix/amp/
So as an American, can I visit Spain WITHOUT a Covid test if I have a vaccination certificate?

I just changed my May travel plans to Spain to September figuring it might be awhile before I'd be allowed to just show up. This will be great news if it's truly hassle-free.
Old May 23, 2021, 5:47 pm

Yes great news indeed. Starting to make plans for a Spain trip now. But for UK visitors, at least, Canary Islands are excluded (but Balearic Islands are open). Any thoughts/speculation if/when Canary Islands will allow vaccinated visitors at some point soon?
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old May 23, 2021, 8:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum Pro (LT Gold), Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium, National Exec,Hyatt,Melia, BA Exec, Iberia+
Originally Posted by sbandy
Yes great news indeed. Starting to make plans for a Spain trip now. But for UK visitors, at least, Canary Islands are excluded (but Balearic Islands are open). Any thoughts/speculation if/when Canary Islands will allow vaccinated visitors at some point soon?
i think it’s actually exactly the opposite. The Canary Islands are the only part of Spain on UK’s green list. https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.the...rs-from-24-may
from Spain’s perspective, UK visitors are allowed in beginning Monday
Old May 24, 2021, 7:21 am

Yes sorry I think I read the guidance incorrectly and you are correct. I am an American but was reading the UK guidance and got confused and assumed that the Canary Islands were not part of the reopening. Thanks for clarifying the issue. Hopefully I will be able to book a trip soon for this summer.
spainlover likes this.
Old May 24, 2021, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So is there any confirmation that Spain will just require a vaccination certificate and will not require vaccinated people to take Covid tests to travel?
Old May 25, 2021, 12:43 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GFL, Iberia Plus Platino, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I think the exception is the Canary Island, which require negative pcr tests. This is a requirement for all passengers, including Spanish nationals travelling from the mainland
Old May 25, 2021, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by Ramos
I think the exception is the Canary Island, which require negative pcr tests. This is a requirement for all passengers, including Spanish nationals travelling from the mainland
Is there any possibility that this requirement will be relaxed? And assuming this requirement is still in effect, any idea of how difficult it is for a foreigner to get a PCR test and the costs? I posted upthread and was planning a trip to the Canary Islands and combining it with some time in the Basque Country and Asturias (I have been to other more touristed parts of Spain before so wanted to visit these places where I haven't been). Depending on how easy or difficult it is to get a PCR test done I may do Canary first and then go up north (get my test done in the US before departure). If it is easy and is reasonable in terms of costs, then obviously I have many more options and flexibility.
Old May 25, 2021, 11:20 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum For Life; ALL Platinum
Is there any possibility that this requirement will be relaxed? And assuming this requirement is still in effect, any idea of how difficult it is for a foreigner to get a PCR test and the costs? I posted upthread and was planning a trip to the Canary Islands and combining it with some time in the Basque Country and Asturias (I have been to other more touristed parts of Spain before so wanted to visit these places where I haven't been). Depending on how easy or difficult it is to get a PCR test done I may do Canary first and then go up north (get my test done in the US before departure). If it is easy and is reasonable in terms of costs, then obviously I have many more options and flexibility.
Canary Islands are part of Spain, and Spain being part of EU, as EU has decided to establish green Pass from July 1, 2021, if you are fully vaccinated with one of the 4 brands authorized in EU you shouldn't need a PCR test to enter Canary from July 1.
Tourism is number one industry for Canary Islands and they would have a big disadvantage if they want to impose any more constraint compared to their competitor;
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old May 26, 2021, 3:45 am

Old May 26, 2021, 3:55 am

No sign of negative PCR Test requirement for Canary Islands being relaxed (although they are part of Spain they are authorised by Spanish government to set their own requirements - before Spain mandated negative PCR Test for entry, Canary Islands were already requesting these). I have just booked a flight to Lanzarote & I received a reminder from airline that this was a requirement.

As far as getting a test on the islands is concerned, there are plenty of places available (there is even a mobile service that goes to your hotel/rental) but I would book a couple of days in advance. One word of warning, unless it's changed since my last trip, PCR tests in the Canary Islands are some of the most expensive that I've come across in EU
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old May 31, 2021, 9:06 am

Programs: UA PP, 2 MM; IC;

Does anyone really know what's going on in Spain with regard to allowing vaccinated persons enter?

Several weeks ago, the president announced that any non essential traveler (tourists) will be able to enter as of June 7th.. about a week from now.... Since then, there have been numerous articles, including one from Schengenvisainfo.com on 5/27 which said:
The Spanish authorities have announced that from June 7, the country will allow entry for Americans and other travellers from all over the world who have undergone the vaccination process using one of the vaccines approved by the European Medicines Agency (EMA).
Also airlines have revised schedules to incorporate this... UA & AA to be specific, yet the only thing that officially has come from a government source, and I've been watching carefully is a statement issued Saturday night the all protocols will remain in place until June 30th... except cruise ships will be allowed to visit Spanish ports as of June 7th... See https://travelsafe.spain.info/en/

In the meantime, I am a little over a week from boarding flights between SNA and SVQ and still no official word as to allowing vaccinated visitors and if so, what protocols have to be followed for things like testing. Very confusing.
Old May 31, 2021, 10:28 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Spain just extended the rules to the 30th june 2021, this will not happen.

Originally Posted by exp
Well I sent email to a Spanish govt. agency and they responded with:

Se han prorrogado las restricciones temporales de viajes no imprescindibles desde terceros países a la Unión Europea y países asociados Schengen por razones de orden público y salud pública, con motivo de la crisis sanitaria ocasionada por el COVID-19 hasta las 24:00 horas del 30 de junio de 2021:
https://www.boe.es/boe/dias/2021/05/...-2021-8972.pdf
http://www.interior.gob.es/en/contacto
https://www.boe.es/boe/dias/2021/05/...-2021-8449.pdf Esta orden surtirá efectos desde las 00:00 horas del 24 de mayo de 2021.

Atentamente,

Oficina de Información y Atención al Ciudadano
Paseo del Prado 18-20
28071 Madrid
Tfno.: 915961089/90
www.mscbs.es
[email protected]

So if you go to those PDF links and translate it, they are extending the travel restrictions order issued in July 2020 to June 30, 2021. It had been set to expire on today, May 31, 2021.

No mention about lifting on June 7 or June 9 as Pedro Sanchez said previously.
From there: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33292647-post603.html
Old May 31, 2021, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
June 7th isn't happening. As mentioned, the ban on most foreigners has been extended until June 30th. The links above show the actual law, as published in the BOE rather than a politician blabbering away.

Even then I wouldn't hold my breath for July travel. It appears that Spain and the EU want something more than an easily-forged paper vaccination card before opening up.
Old May 31, 2021, 12:43 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Even then I wouldn't hold my breath for July travel. It appears that Spain and the EU want something more than an easily-forged paper vaccination card before opening up.
If that's the case, everyone will be waiting for a long, long time. The political, legal, and technological obstacles that would have to be overcome for the US to adopt a centralized vaccination database (I assume this is what you refer to with your reference to paper cards) that would satisfy that are almost insurmountable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.