Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Spain/Portugal/Gibraltar
Reload this Page >

Spain and vaccinated.... Mixed messages??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Spain and vaccinated.... Mixed messages??

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2021, 9:31 am
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Reports on other forums say that when people check with Spanish consulates, they’re being told of new extension.

Booking in July isn’t a sure thing either.

If you go to Iberia’s site, you can select your origin and destination and when you select US to Spain, it’s still showing June 7 and vaccinated Americans can enter.

Spain is open to many vaccinated and non-vaccinated travelers. Testing and quarantine may be required. Also, every passenger must pre-register electronically before departure.

Spain announced that, as of 7 June, fully vaccinated travelers will be allowed to enter Spain with proof of vaccination with vaccines approved by the European Medicines Agency (EMA) or the World Health Organization (WHO). Details subject to change.
https://www.iberia.com/us/en/covid-1...t-regulations/

Wonder if the media are going to ask Sanchez’s office the reason for the change in dates.

Maybe getting the UK tourists is good enough.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 12:39 pm

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Originally Posted by 8420PR
As you have an EU passport you are all set, and I think no reason to expect changes that impact you. In my opinion the reopening of borders is not so closely linked to the removal of restrictions in Spain. Already, bars and restaurants are open until midnight, with 50% capacity restrictions inside. Clubs and discos are still closed. Face masks are still required almost everywhere. All of this may or may not change, regardless of if the borders are opened to US citizens.
Thanks, good to know. I have been keen to ask my friends about restaurant night out, which is something I enjoy doing a lot in Madrid and Barcelona (I don't know if it is like here in Florida and the Mid West, where no one has masks anymore, nor shame). But good to know. Nothing like tapas and canias or a good glass of wine during those summer days. My and my brother will be considering it an adventure, as we are also visiting friends on all those cities.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 3:24 pm

Not that it's necessarily meaningful, since also not official announcement, but it appears Iberian is still under the impression vaccinated travelers will be allowed in June 7, and that perhaps the info has not yet been updated:

As we understand, vaccinated passengers will be allowed to enter Spain from june 7th one, despite the fact that the information still hasn't been published on the BOE (Boletín Oficial de Estado). For further informations, please contact the spanish embassy or consulate
Since I'm a new user I cannot post links to sites, but twitter /Iberia_en/status/1400127748627181569
FWIW, I also emailed Barcelona.com (again, not an officially related site), and they said very similar to Iberia:

I have a flight to Spain on June 8 from Greece, I assume based on my reading of the Spanish entry requirements that as an American I still would not be allowed in (presuming there's some border control between Schengen-Schengen flights?)? Was wondering if anyone might have insight into that.

FWIW, I also emailed Barcelona.com (again, not an officially related site), and they said very similar to Iberia:

From the 7th vaccine will be enough even from Greece but we are still waiting for more info from Spanish gvt
Old Jun 2, 2021, 5:49 pm
exp
Suspended

How many FTers here have flights to Spain this month?

Planning to cancel or reschedule?
Old Jun 2, 2021, 7:01 pm

That's why I'm poking around here - trying to gauge what others are doing. I have a flight for the 10th but honestly feeling pretty bearish about it.. Might change to Greece or Croatia.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by exp

That's why I'm poking around here - trying to gauge what others are doing. I have a flight for the 10th but honestly feeling pretty bearish about it.. Might change to Greece or Croatia.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 7:16 pm
exp
Suspended

Well FWIW:

To clarify, the restrictions that have been extended until June 30 apply only for arrivals from third countries. There are multiple exceptions to the restrictions. The extended entry ban does NOT apply to vaccinated travellers from the United States, Rwanda, Singapore, South Korea, Thailand, Hong Kong, Macao and China. Spain has relaxed restrictions even further for visitors from the UK, Australia, New Zealand, Israel and Japan. Tourists from those countries who have proof of vaccination no longer have to show the results of a negative COVID test.

In addition, legal residents of the EU, those who hold a long-term visa issued by a Member State, students who study in one of the EU nations, highly qualified workers, and those who travel for essential purposes are not affected by the extended travel ban.

In making the decision to close its borders for Algeria and Morocco, Spanish authorities reportedly did so because those countries have reported COVID cases involving the so-called Indian variant of the virus.
https://thepointsguy.com/news/spain-...t-apply-to-us/

But he doesn't cite the source for the claim that the travel ban extension doesn't apply to Americans.

And he issues these caveats:

We are still urging caution on booking trips to Spain this month. You might want to wait until we have official details on the use of digital health certificates, and how Americans will be able to provide proof of vaccination.

In fact, the Tourist Office of Spain in New York is still reportedly advising consumers against booking tickets to Spain at the moment.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 7:52 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Yeah the TPG article and Iberia's tweet suggest there's still hope for vaccinated travelers, but no one should take those as official word (obviously).

A lot is going to happen in the next 5 days. Let's see.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 9:16 pm

Have a trip planned for August. Hopefully, it will "shake out" by then.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 5:57 am

The extended entry ban does NOT apply to vaccinated travellers from the United States, Rwanda, Singapore, South Korea, Thailand, Hong Kong, Macao and China. Spain has relaxed restrictions even further for visitors from the UK, Australia, New Zealand, Israel and Japan.
Originally Posted by exp
But he doesn't cite the source for the claim that the travel ban extension doesn't apply to Americans.
Exactly, I read this article as well -- not only can't I find any source for the travel ban not applying to Americans [...does that sequence of negatives work out right?] but I also haven't seen any Spanish (or broadly European) source with the separation of countries into two lists (US through China and then UK through Japan). This is the first time I've seen anywhere that New Zealand is subject to even looser entry requirements than, say, South Korea, and given the lack of links in the quoted paragraph I remain pretty skeptical.

I'm in the "traveling in August" boat so not immediately/directly affected, but I'm obviously quite curious to see what (if anything) will happen on June 7.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 7:37 am

Programs: ExecutiveClub GGL/CCR MileagePlus 1K FLyingBlue GOld
Originally Posted by andrewesque
Exactly, I read this article as well -- not only can't I find any source for the travel ban not applying to Americans [...does that sequence of negatives work out right?] but I also haven't seen any Spanish (or broadly European) source with the separation of countries into two lists (US through China and then UK through Japan). This is the first time I've seen anywhere that New Zealand is subject to even looser entry requirements than, say, South Korea, and given the lack of links in the quoted paragraph I remain pretty skeptical.

I'm in the "traveling in August" boat so not immediately/directly affected, but I'm obviously quite curious to see what (if anything) will happen on June 7.
TPG took that info from a website that is merely read by African readers I suspect.
I went to https://www.boe.es/boe/dias/2021/05/...-2021-8972.pdf and translated the document which does not say anything that it is only for certain countries, but a general third countries based on "Council Recommendation (EU) 2020/912 of June 30", then I went to check that EC 2020/912 said the following countries are allowed to enter. "Third countries whose residents should not be affected by temporary external borders restriction on non-essential travel into the EU
  1. AUSTRALIA
  2. CANADA
  3. GEORGIA
  4. JAPAN
  5. NEW ZEALAND
  6. RWANDA
  7. SOUTH KOREA
  8. THAILAND
  9. TUNISIA
  10. URUGUAY
  11. CHINA*"

This is the link from where I got the info. https://data.consilium.europa.eu/doc...20-INIT/en/pdf
Since Spain is making their regulations with the EC and mentions it on their document for continuation on restrictions, is safe to say that TPG just spread some rumors without any factual base
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 8:05 am

Programs: DL DM
This sounds reassuring, but I'm not seeing the original source: https://thepointsguy.com/news/spain-...t-apply-to-us/

There are multiple exceptions to the restrictions. The extended entry ban does NOT apply to vaccinated travellers from the United States, Rwanda, Singapore, South Korea, Thailand, Hong Kong, Macao and China. Spain has relaxed restrictions even further for visitors from the UK, Australia, New Zealand, Israel and Japan. Tourists from those countries who have proof of vaccination no longer have to show the results of a negative COVID test.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 8:36 am

Programs: UA PP, 2 MM; IC;
Originally Posted by exp

I rescheduled SNA-ATH and will hang out there until something changes in Spain.. I'm gone 3 months..
Old Jun 3, 2021, 10:59 am

Programs: DL DM; 2MM
Originally Posted by exp

FWIW ... I have (and have had numerous cancelled for the past couple of months) speculative bookings from the WestCoast-US to Spain and Portugal over the next few months, in order to take ownership of a newly built residence near Malaga, that I've yet to see for the first time.
I have an EU passport and NIE and was fully vaccinated many months ago - but am so confused about who can or cannot enter and don't have the spare time to read Flyertalk all day for the latest updates

My next few departures are scheduled for June 29th and July 4th ..... fingers crossed.
After those dates, I am scheduled to depart basically every month until Easter next year.

Last edited by Travelomania; Jun 3, 2021 at 11:05 am
Old Jun 3, 2021, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by seanp7
Yeah the TPG article and Iberia's tweet suggest there's still hope for vaccinated travelers, but no one should take those as official word (obviously).

A lot is going to happen in the next 5 days. Let's see.
New tweet from Iberia today, they're holding their position re: the 7th.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.