Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Spain - help me find the right book

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2020, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

Spain - help me find the right book

I'm looking for a book that will help me understand contemporary Spain - a little politics, a little culture, maybe some history, too. This is prep for potentially a long (3 to 6 months) stay in Spain while working on a project there. I speak rudimentary Spanish, not enough to read a complex volume, so need something in English.
Old Dec 12, 2020, 1:14 am

To understand contemporary Spain? This recent one by Paul Preston: "A People Betrayed". But I am not sure if personally I would want to know about this (not so nice) side of the country when going there for only 3-6 months...

And if your destination happens to be Barcelona: "Barcelona" by Robert Hughes.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 9:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Koby
To understand contemporary Spain? This recent one by Paul Preston: "A People Betrayed". But I am not sure if personally I would want to know about this (not so nice) side of the country when going there for only 3-6 months...

And if your destination happens to be Barcelona: "Barcelona" by Robert Hughes.
I think a book titled "A People Betrayed: A History of Corruption, Political Incompetence and Social Division in Modern Spain" is more political than I'm looking for, thanks.

Would probably be more in the Madrid area than Barcelona.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2020, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Aleix Saló will get you there quicker, and more enjoyably, than anyone else.

You might even be able to manage Espańistan in Castellano, the humour is very contemporary so if you can figure it out from reading it you’ll be in a great position to recognise it once you arrive.
(Simiocracia is a little more in depth, perhaps a little better for what you’re saying you want)

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by LapLap; Dec 26, 2020 at 2:17 pm
Old Jan 3, 2021, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LapLap
Aleix Saló will get you there quicker, and more enjoyably, than anyone else.

You might even be able to manage Espańistan in Castellano, the humour is very contemporary so if you can figure it out from reading it you’ll be in a great position to recognise it once you arrive.
(Simiocracia is a little more in depth, perhaps a little better for what you’re saying you want)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aleix-Saló/...t_pop_ebooks_1
Thanks, those look like a possibility. At this point I think I may wait 6 months to see if the work in Spain is even viable, given COVID may completely squash it if the pandemic does not slow way down soon.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Thanks, those look like a possibility. At this point I think I may wait 6 months to see if the work in Spain is even viable, given COVID may completely squash it if the pandemic does not slow way down soon.
I have no idea where you’re based, but the COVID story is not playing out well in any of “my” countries (England, Spain or Japan), I wouldn’t be particularly optimistic about the next six months.

But, if you have 6 minutes to invest you can find an English subtitled summary of Simiocracia here:
sushanna1 likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 6:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LapLap
I have no idea where you’re based, but the COVID story is not playing out well in any of “my” countries (England, Spain or Japan), I wouldn’t be particularly optimistic about the next six months.

But, if you have 6 minutes to invest you can find an English subtitled summary of Simiocracia here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2C1vBh-Is8
I'm in the first county in the U.S. to have a major outbreak of COVID, and right now it's at the point here where I barely leave the house due to the high prevalence rates.

Will look at the video, thanks.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 3:36 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Air Europa Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
and right now it's at the point here where I barely leave the house
you'll feel totally at home in Spain, then. And everywhere in Europe.
CDTraveler likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 8:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HalconBCN
you'll feel totally at home in Spain, then. And everywhere in Europe.
I've been reading about Madrid and a lot of people breaking quarantine due to the snow. Sounds like a rough situation there these days.
Old Jan 20, 2021, 10:06 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
You might have a look at John Hooper, The New Spaniards. Covers the areas you mention: politics, culture, history. He's knowledgeable and a good writer. Buen viaje!
LETTERBOY and CDTraveler like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.