Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Spain/Portugal/Gibraltar
Reload this Page >

Portugal COVID Testing Requirements Visitor & Transit

Old Jun 13, 2020, 12:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K

Looking to book Portugal on TAP to PDL and of course, will have to show negative COVID tests from within 72 hours of arrival, or get tested on arrival. Does anyone know how long the turnaround time for the local government testing is?
Old Jun 13, 2020, 4:53 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Local government testing on the mainland or in the Azores?
This is what TAP's site says:

Code:
Portugal - Azores

All passengers disembarking at the airports of Ponta Delgada, on the island of S. Miguel,
or Lajes, on the island of Terceira, coming from airports located in areas considered by
the World Health Organization to be areas of active community transmission or with active
transmission chains of the SARS-CoV-2 virus, are required to fulfill, alternatively, one of the following procedures:

Submit proof, in paper form, of a document issued by an accredited laboratory for the testing of COVID-19,
attesting to the SARS-CoV-2 screening test, within 72 hours prior to the departure the airport of origin.
The document must state the passenger's identification, the laboratory where it was performed, the date
of the test, the signature of the person responsible for carrying out the test, and the NEGATIVE result.
In this case, and if the stay is extended for seven or more days, the passenger must, on the 5th and 13th day,
counting from the date of the SARS-CoV-2 screening test, if the stay is for the mentioned duration or more,
contact the health authority of the municipality where you reside or are staying, with the objective of conducting
a new SARS-CoV-2 screening test, done by the local health authority, the result of which you will
be notified within 24 hours; or

Complete a screening test for SARS-CoV-2, done by the local health authority, with the collection
of biological samples upon arrival, and must remain, in prophylactic isolation, in a hotel room
indicated for this purpose until the result of said test NEGATIVE, in which the amount of time
between the collection of the samples and the NEGATIVE test result must not exceed 48 hours.
In this case, and if the stay is extended for seven or more days, the passenger must, on the
5th and 13th day, counting from the date of the SARS-CoV-2 screening test, if the stay is for
the mentioned duration or more, contact the health authority of the municipality where you
reside or are staying, with the objective of conducting a new SARS-CoV-2 screening test, done
by the local health authority, the result of which you will be notified within 24 hours; or
Carry out voluntary quarantine for a consecutive period of fourteen days in a hotel indicated
for this purpose, prior to the end of the mentioned period, biological samples will be
collected and a SARS-CoV-2 screening test to be done by the local health authority; or
Return to the destination of origin or travel to any destination outside the Region,
in which case until the time of the flight mandatory prophylactic isolation in a hotel
indicated for the purpose must be fulfilled;

In cases where the SARS-CoV-2 virus test result is POSITIVE, the local health authority,
within the scope of its powers, will determine the procedures to be followed.

In cases where mandatory quarantine is decreed by the health authority, it must, within
24 hours, be submitted to judicial validation with the competent court.

In the period pending the results of the SARS-CoV-2 screening test, as well as in cases of
voluntary quarantine or mandatory quarantine, safeguarding compliance with the guidelines
determined by the health authority for the prevention of infection, those who are subjected
to them must be able to enjoy the same services that are made available to a guest under normal
circumstances, except for those that may make the guidelines previously determined unfeasible or weakened.

Procedures for passengers coming from outside of the Region who wish to move to another island,
must proceed as indicated:
Passengers must communicate this intention, on arrival, to the health authority, by completing
a declaration for this purpose;
Passengers who perform a SARS-CoV-2 screening test upon arrival in the Region, if
they have another island as their final destination, can move to this island, after receiving the NEGATIVE result;

Passengers who present a previous NEGATIVE SARS-CoV-2 screening test, if they have
another island as their final destination, can move to this island;
Passengers referred to in the previous paragraphs, when arriving at the final destination
island, must comply with the procedures mentioned in above paragraphs a) and b), in the
regards to contact with the municipal health authority, on the 5th and 13th day, for conducting a SARS-CoV-2 screening test.

All passengers must comply with the rules for the use of a mask, physical distance and
respiratory etiquette defined by the regional health authority.

In cases where the SARS-CoV-2 virus test result is POSITIVE, the local health authority,
within the scope of its powers, will determine the procedures to be followed.

Necessary information concerning the hotel units determined for this purpose and the
associated services and conditions, will be available through the COVID-19 Line for
non-medical issues - 800 29 29 29 or by email [email protected].

Last edited by Palal; Jun 13, 2020 at 4:58 am
Old Jul 7, 2020, 4:44 pm

Rules Changed today. WHICH SUCKS!!! Just a FYI - Middlesex County process takes 4-5 Days to process your test results which does not work for me. Not sure what part of Ontario you are from. Im getting my Portuguese passport next week just in case the results do not come in on time. Prior to this rule you did not need a test to land in mainland.

COVID-19 test for entry or transit in Portugal

Portuguese authorities have determined that on flights departing from Portuguese-speaking countries and the United States of America, non-Portuguese passengers or non-residents of Portugal, with destination or transit in Portugal, who do not present at the time of departure proof of a COVID-19 test, namely molecular RT-PCR test, a with a negative result, carried out within the last 72 hours before departure, are not allowed to board or permitted entry to Portugal.

Portuguese citizens or foreign nationals with a permanent residence in Portugal who travel without a molecular RT-PCR test will be immediately tested upon arrival at the airport, in which case the cost will be charged to the passenger.

The tests will be carried out and made available by ANA, SA, through qualified health professionals, which can be subcontracted, and passengers must wait for the results of the tests confined to the location where they will be staying, providing their contact details and following the rules of the Directorate-General for Health.

Passengers who are unable to comply with these requirements and who have a travel date until July 15, have the possibility to change the trip for the following week, and shall be exempt from paying the change fee, however the fare difference will be charged, if applicable, and the change will be according to flight availability. For travels from July 16 onwards normal fare rules of the ticket will apply.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 5:49 pm
tff

Programs: FB LTPE, TP Gold, All Gold
Here's the official order (in PT):
https://dre.pt/web/guest/home/-/dre/...ails/maximized
Old Jul 8, 2020, 7:36 pm

Any idea how much the tests on arrival cost?
Old Jul 12, 2020, 9:26 am

I am super confused:

Portuguese authorities have determined that on flights departing from Portuguese-speaking countries and the United States of America, non-Portuguese passengers or non-residents of Portugal, with destination or transit in Portugal, who do not present at the time of departure proof of a COVID-19 test, namely molecular RT-PCR test, a with a negative result, carried out within the last 72 hours before departure, are not allowed to board or permitted entry to Portugal.

---> doesn't the red part mean only flights departing from Brazil etc and USA need to have the test for departure IF they are not portuguese or living in Portugal (then they can get tested in Portugal when they arrive if they are portuguese)? I am Canadian and i fly in late August.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by thresholdartist
I am super confused:

---> doesn't the red part mean only flights departing from Brazil etc and USA need to have the test for departure IF they are not portuguese or living in Portugal (then they can get tested in Portugal when they arrive if they are portuguese)? I am Canadian and i fly in late August.
Canada is on the white list as far as EU is concerned. No tests for you
tmac100 likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 5:30 am

Originally Posted by Palal
Any idea how much the tests on arrival cost?
Old Jul 16, 2020, 2:24 am

Originally Posted by itdontmeanathing
Oops. I don't know if that's the price for a swab test or the PCR test.
Old Jul 20, 2020, 2:50 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
Is there a website that states where swab tests are done at the Lisbon airport on arrival?

I searched the LIS airport and ANA websites but found no real info except policy stuff. Also, English sites would be good.
Thanks.

Last edited by tmac100; Jul 20, 2020 at 5:56 am
Old Jul 20, 2020, 4:46 am

The air travel regulations created for 1 July to 15 July have been extended. Relevant sections quoted below. Keep reading past paragraph 3 because paragraphs 5, 7 and 9 refer to it.

For the whole document see https://dre.pt/application/file/a/138056701 Site and PDF are in Portuguese. Chrome browser translates using Brazilian Portuguese. To use European Portuguese, go to Bing Microsoft Translator. Paste the URL into the left hand box. Clicking on the URL in the right hand box opens the translated site in a new tab. The PDF is locked. You'll need to unlock it to copy and paste into an online translator. It's free at this site - https://www.ilovepdf.com/unlock_pdf

3 Prohibit air traffic to and from Portugal from all flights to and from countries not part of the European Union or which are not countries associated with the Schengen Area, except for essential travel only:
(a) flights originating in and to portuguese-speaking countries; brazil, however, will be only flights to and from So Paulo and to and from Rio de Janeiro are admitted;
(b) flights originating in and to the United States of America, given the presence of important Portuguese communities.

5 Passengers on the flights referred to in paragraph 3 must provide, at the time of departure, proof of laboratory testing for the screening of THE SARS-CoV-2 infection, with a negative result, carried out in the last 72 hours prior to the time of boarding, otherwise they will be refused entry into national territory.

6 Nationals and foreign nationals with legal residence in national territory, as well as diplomatic personnel stationed in Portugal and on-board personnel, who, exceptionally, do not have proof of laboratory testing to despiste the infection of SARS-CoV-2 with negative result, in accordance with paragraph 5, upon arrival in national territory, are forwarded by the competent authorities to carry out the test at their own expense or their employers, as appropriate.

7 . For the purposes of paragraph 3, essential journeys shall be deemed to be those intended to permit the transit or entry or exit of Portugal of:
(a) nationals of the European Union, nationals of States associated with the Schengen Area and members of their families, pursuant to Directive 2004/38/EC of Parliament and the Council, and third-country nationals legally resident in a Member State of the European Union;
(b) third-country nationals traveling for professional, study, family reunion, health or humanitarian reasons, and in accordance with the principle of reciprocity.

9 Paragraph 3 shall not apply to flights intended to allow nationals or holders of a residence permit to return to Portugal in Portugal, or to flights intended to allow the return to their respective countries of foreign nationals who are in Portugal, provided that such flights are promoted by the competent authorities of such countries, subject to prior request and agreement, and with respect for the principle of reciprocity.
Old Jul 20, 2020, 4:57 am

Article from 7 July says testing is done at the airport.

https://www.portugalresident.com/non...from-saturday/

Article from 15 July says both airline and passengers can be fined for arriving in Portugal without a negative molecular RT-PCR test.

https://www.portugalresident.com/fin...egative-tests/
Old Jul 20, 2020, 4:59 am

Originally Posted by tmac100
Is there a website that states where swab tests are done at the Lisbon airport on arrival?.
Haven't seen one. Maybe that's because if SEF says you need to have the test, your only choice will be to go where you're told.
Old Jul 20, 2020, 6:06 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by itdontmeanathing
Haven't seen one. Maybe that's because if SEF says you need to have the test, your only choice will be to go where you're told.
Agreed.
There seems to be confusing (to me) info. I will have a D7 Residency visa for coming to live and retire in Portugal and am a Canadian with absolutely no family links to Portugal. Hence when I fly TAP on Sept 25/26, it would be good to have info in advance. Right now, I cannot find out where I can get the tests done in Toronto, either. Basic info, but nothing for sure.

A state of flux... By September there will be more changes - that is a given. I will just do what is needed before, during, and after my YYZ-LIS flight.
Old Jul 20, 2020, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by tmac100
Agreed.
There seems to be confusing (to me) info
You seem to be confused by more than my one line post. You're a third-country national who's reason for travel doesn't meet the requirements of 'essential travel', nor are you legally resident in a member state of the European Union.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.