Search

Portugal Reopens to Many Foreign Visitors 4 June 2020

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2020, 1:34 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Arrow Portugal Reopens to Many Foreign Visitors 4 June 2020

“Starting June 4, Portugal is reopening to foreign visitors again.

As destinations all over the world continue to ease coronavirus-related restrictions, restaurants, resorts, and air routes are slowly reopening. On June 4, Portugal’s national airline, TAP Air Portugal, will resume its nonstop flight between Lisbon and Newark airport, following the completion of the country’s three-phase reopening strategy. On June 6, Portugal will formally allow E.U. nations, except Spain and Italy, to enter via air.

Americans hoping to responsibly visit Portugal this summer will have some rules and requirements to keep in mind. If you’re visiting mainland Portugal, you will not be required to quarantine, but your temperature will be taken by walk-through camera systems. Once in the country, social distancing measures are in effect. Masks are recommended at all times, and required while riding public transportation, gathering outdoors, and inside most attractions.”

Somewhat different and more rigorous requirements are in place for those visiting the Azores, the nine autonomous islands in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean, and Madeira.

“As Portugal begins reopening, visitors shouldn’t expect everything to be back to normal, though as of June 1, every business has been given permission to reopen. And on June 6, all its beaches can start welcoming visitors again, too. For an extra layer of precaution, the tourism board has introduced the Clean & Safe program, a seal given to tourism venues that adhere to the health and hygiene protocols of the Directorate-General for Health. Hotels, for instance, are committed to regularly taking and recording the temperature of its staff, providing easy access to personal protective equipment for both staff and guests, and creating a separate, easy-to-isolate room for people suspected of being infected with the virus. So far, 8,000 hotels, restaurants, and attractions have been approved for the year-long use of the seal.”

link to full article in Conde Nast Traveller magazine
84fiero likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 5:09 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Air Europa Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
Excellent news for Portugal.
Spanish news outlets say the border with Spain will reopen on June 22, or July 1 latest.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 7:08 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle
This is great news for my trip in September!
Old Jun 15, 2020, 3:46 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Bonvoy Titanium Elite Lifetime
I'm looking to book tickets this week for either late September of early October. Need to get back on the travel train!!!!
Old Jun 16, 2020, 12:10 am

Originally Posted by tuono07
I'm looking to book tickets this week for either late September of early October. Need to get back on the travel train!!!!
My opinion is the world will close again in August / September when the second wave hits. If you check the forecasts, August / September is looking very bad for travel. But that's just my opinion. I'm hoping it won't be that bad.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 5:03 am

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by FlyingSloth
My opinion is the world will close again in August / September when the second wave hits. If you check the forecasts, August / September is looking very bad for travel. But that's just my opinion. I'm hoping it won't be that bad.
I can't see lockdowns coming back. The economic consequences will be unbearable.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 10:21 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Bonvoy Titanium Elite Lifetime
Originally Posted by FlyingSloth
Its possible of course but I still plan to book and see what happens. I also agree that another shutdown would be catastrophic for the global community.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just cancelled a June - July trip but anxious to rebook later in the year if this holds.

However, this thread on the TAP forum makes it sound like it might not be so simple (read the posts starting June 14).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.