Covid-19 Spain

Old May 16, 20, 10:29 am

Programs: LATAMPass Gold, AA Gold, DL Silver Medallion
Yup. But no way the US is in this list of safe countries to fly from, which is something that has been asked in this thread. Most US states have allowed their shelter in place orders to expire and have not renewed them, there is no way in hell that Spain will allow visitors from that country if they do not quarantine before.
Old May 16, 20, 12:36 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, Iberia Silver
Originally Posted by MfromL View Post
Yup. But no way the US is in this list of safe countries to fly from, which is something that has been asked in this thread. Most US states have allowed their shelter in place orders to expire and have not renewed them, there is no way in hell that Spain will allow visitors from that country if they do not quarantine before.
U.S visitors tend to be big spenders so maybe there will be a way to accomodate them. Look at what Iceland is planning to do to test people on arrival or Austria charging 190 euros for a test on arrival...these look like reasonable solutions Spain could adopt. If someone is going to fly to Ibiza and rent a villa for 1000s of euros, they can afford a test.
Having seen the way the virus has been evolving in the U.S., public opinion within Spain would probably lean towards not accepting American visitors without these kinds of controls in place. Unless the U.S were to reduce infections to rate at which it could be considered "safe "
Old May 16, 20, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HalconBCN View Post
UK is also a big target market if they can get their situation under control by then.
England can not.
Old May 16, 20, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by LapLap View Post
England can not.
You could be right - Scots, however, would be warmly welcomed.
Old May 16, 20, 7:21 pm

And Irish!

[Edit: I said Irish, not Northern Irish]

Last edited by MfromL; May 17, 20 at 8:03 am
Old May 17, 20, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

And Irish!

Ireland is one island with two very different death rates

Medic warns of impact of coronavirus spike in border regions amid calls for Northern Ireland health service to improve 'appalling' data collation

Old May 17, 20, 6:32 am

The idea of safe corridors is picking up speed. Such that the Balearics might decide which regions of Germany they want to accept flights from based on covid data. Same could be done for the UK, presumably. The UK is a vital tourist market for Spain so I am sure no stone will be left unturned in the effort to bring them in safely.

https://www.lavanguardia.com/economi...es-verano.html
Old May 17, 20, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

And Irish!

[Edit: I said Irish, not Northern Irish]
There has been talk about Ireland and Northern Ireland becoming a single epidemiological unit. Assuming that doesnt happen, the Republic of Ireland will still continue to be blighted by infections spilling over from Northern Ireland. I linked to two Irish News articles (not N.Irish or British) that touch on the complexity of the relationship between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland.
Old May 19, 20, 11:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP.
what happens if I have a overnight layover in madrid on june 29th

Last edited by Amil; May 19, 20 at 11:35 pm
Old May 20, 20, 2:40 am

Where are you coming from / flying to?
Old May 20, 20, 6:13 am

Also, what passport do you hold?
Old May 20, 20, 8:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP.
Originally Posted by HalconBCN View Post
Where are you coming from / flying to?

US passport . from italy going to DFW
Old May 21, 20, 5:03 am

Originally Posted by Amil View Post
US passport . from italy going to DFW
Okay, this a hard one to predict at this point in time. You could take this flight if Spain considers Italy to be a safe country of origin, if your US flight operates as planned, if Spain has lifted the 14 day quarantine.... a lot of ifs.
We will have to wait and see what happens, but if you can make alternative plans - flying from Italy or avoiding an overnight layover in MAD, you can better mitigate the risks.
Old May 21, 20, 8:03 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Amil - We need more information. What airline are you flying "Italy" to MAD? I assume you are flying AA from MAD to DFW. You will fly out of T4, but if you come into T2, you could have problems with the quarantine rule since you will enter Spanish territory and then leave again a few hours later.
Old May 21, 20, 1:19 pm

Well, since he is flying MAD-DFW, the most likely scenario is that he has an IB flight connecting to AA, which means T4. However, he said overnight layover. And if I recall correctly the DFW flight leaves around noon, which means at least 12 hours of layover.

This scenario is a bit complicated as we do not know the rules under which Barajas (and all European airports) are going to be operating when most flying resumes.

The EASA just released some guidelines for post-COVID airport operations in the EU that seem to point that airports will see a decrease of activity (for example only passengers allowed to enter terminal buildings) and new restrictions in the way passengers are allowed to move in the terminals and interact with each-other. It wouldn't surprise me that airports shut-down areas or completely for disinfection at the end of each business day.

I would just wait and see. But if it is a flight you can delay, I would try to do it, or as previous posters recommended, try to catch a non-stop to the US.
spainflyer and HalconBCN like this.

Search this Thread