Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Spain/Portugal/Gibraltar
Reload this Page >

Suggested arrival time for a 5AM LIS-AMS-ORD Flight?

Old Sep 18, 19, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, SPG

Hi folks,

Have a 5AM (Tuesday) departure on KLM. Not checking a bag, relatively athletic, and traveling alone- what time should I arrive at LIS? I live near ORD and I typically don't get to the airport more than an hour before domestic takeoffs and have never had an issue (granted, Precheck too). Looks like about a 55 min bus ride, but may take an Uber if there's an issue. Would arriving 90 mins before my flight be a huge problem?
Old Sep 19, 19, 1:39 am

Programs: A3*G, EY Silver
60 mins prior to takeoff should be fine.

Take an uber - it's a 15 min/8-10€ ride from the city center. The bus (usually filled with people coming back from partying) takes waaaay long to reach the airport and goes through some fun neighborhoods. I don't know why anyone would bother using it over uber/taxi.
Old Sep 28, 19, 2:18 pm

Programs: WN A-List due to work travel patterns. Paid F or Biz for pleasure - so no need to chase status
Originally Posted by Palal View Post
60 mins prior to takeoff should be fine.

Take an uber - it's a 15 min/8-10€ ride from the city center. The bus (usually filled with people coming back from partying) takes waaaay long to reach the airport and goes through some fun neighborhoods. I don't know why anyone would bother using it over uber/taxi.
Palal - I have a similarly-timed LH flight coming up. Do you think there would be any problem in terms of driver availability with getting an Uber from the center (Chiado) leaving at around 0330 to get to the airport to check in at 0400? This would be on a Sunday morning.

I know As Alfacinhas like to stay up late - especially in Chiado - but I have never tried to get an Uber at that hour there. We won't be one of the drunk party-ers so the Uber drivers might appreciate that but I don't know how to let them know that lol.

(Oh and muito obrigado for your contributions in FT about LIS and PT!)
Old Oct 1, 19, 12:35 am

Programs: A3*G, EY Silver
There will be zero problems with uber/bolt/taxi availability. Also, as 03:30 is the tail end of the night, you probably won't hit any traffic if you're in Bairro Alto/Chiado (yes, some of the worst traffic in that area, immediately around Praça de Camões is between 8PM and 3AM), though there may still be some around that area. 30 mins is more than enough time to get you to the airport though, regardless of how bad that traffic is.
Old Oct 1, 19, 3:59 pm

Programs: WN A-List due to work travel patterns. Paid F or Biz for pleasure - so no need to chase status
Thank you.

Search this Thread