Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Spain/Portugal/Gibraltar
Reload this Page >

Spain - Mercadona - "Listo Para Comer"

Old Aug 12, 19, 4:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The Mercadona "ready to eat" range was first introduced last Autumn and as the supermarkets are being renovated more and more of them are offering a "listo para comer" section.

Have to say, I'm hugely impressed.

Am based in Alicante (city) this August and have seen a rather sharp hike in prices within the past year/past 2 to 3 years. (Three days in Almeria in Andalucía really brought home the scale of the increases as decent food was still very affordable there).
"Listo para comer" helps soften the blow.

The star offering is "berenjenas rellenas". We ate with friends at their chalet in Murcia on the way back from Almeria and amongst the amazing home cooked dishes were these stuffed aubergines. They said they weren't worth the effort of making. Absolutely delicious.
Pizzas, burgers (and chicken or pork sandwiches) are available as well as a choose your own pasta combination bar. There's a salad stand too.
For the other dishes (see photo) prices are reasonable and portion sizes ample.

Some of the foods that require frying can be heated on request at the counter. For others, you can use the microwave at the checkout.

On Saturday night I was with my parents and kid in Altea at the L'Olla firework display (described as the biggest in Europe) and we had cold drinks and a selection of the Listo para comer range as we sat on the pebbled beach. It was a fraction of the cost of any of the local bars (and better quality than most) - the Mercadona was a 5 minute walk away.
Attached Images  
Old Aug 13, 19, 4:37 am

You can find similar stuff in a lot of supermarkets in Spain. Carrefour and Alcampo will offer you that and even more (in Alcampo you can ask to have fresh meat to be cooked in the oven for you)
Old Aug 13, 19, 11:22 pm

Why is this even a thread here on the forum?
Old Aug 14, 19, 12:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Koby View Post
Why is this even a thread here on the forum?
I had no idea Alcampo could oven cook meats for you. Thanks to this thread, now I do.

Only thing is that the French supermarkets large enough to offer listo para comer are usually in urban outskirts, Mercadonas are more likely to be in prime central locations. The introduction was certainly a surprise to me.

The Mercadona "berenjenas rellenas" were a revelation (pisto con magro was fabulous too). Why shouldn't I share? ¿A ti que más te da?
Old Aug 28, 19, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by schrodingerdog View Post
(in Alcampo you can ask to have fresh meat to be cooked in the oven for you)
Does the service have a name?

Asked about it at the big Alcampo in Alicante (Plaza Mar 2) and nobody had a clue what I was on about.
Old Sep 1, 19, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Back in London and will be missing the “Listo Para Comer” range during the eating season.
But the title of this thread did spring to mind when I came across this in a Spanish store
https://www.planetadelibros.com.uy/l...en-casa/272789

Am expecting the book’s cover to propel it into infamy. If you enjoyed giving Roger & Gallet’s “Eau de Thé”, you’ll LOVE gifting “Simple” this Christmas.
Listo para.... indeed.
Attached Images  
Old Sep 1, 19, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by LapLap View Post
Does the service have a name?

Asked about it at the big Alcampo in Alicante (Plaza Mar 2) and nobody had a clue what I was on about.
Eh no idea, I've never ordered myself, always my father takes care of it.

Does the Alcampo in Alicante have a section with "Listo para comer" food? if not, maybe they have not implemented the service yet...
Old Sep 1, 19, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by schrodingerdog View Post
Eh no idea, I've never ordered myself, always my father takes care of it.

Does the Alcampo in Alicante have a section with "Listo para comer" food? if not, maybe they have not implemented the service yet...
It does not. Will keep a look out, perhaps they will introduce it by next year (they’ll need to keep up with Lidl steadily devouring more and more of the market share)
Old Sep 16, 19, 4:48 am

"comida para llevar" establishment

I personally think Mercadona isn't the best place to get "ready to eat" meals. Simply search a "comida para llevar" establishment, and you will found where local people in each neighbourhood get it. Preferible if this food shop is near a fresh market "Meccado municipal" or "mercado central". this is a way to promote local business, that is even better than use great corporations as Mercadona
Old Sep 16, 19, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by valencia attraction View Post
I personally think Mercadona isn't the best place to get "ready to eat" meals. Simply search a "comida para llevar" establishment, and you will found where local people in each neighbourhood get it. Preferible if this food shop is near a fresh market "Meccado municipal" or "mercado central". this is a way to promote local business, that is even better than use great corporations as Mercadona
You haven’t done this in Alicante, have you?
Old Oct 1, 19, 3:07 am

Programs: aa ua dl jb starwood marriott hyatt
Originally Posted by valencia attraction View Post
Curious, if you know the name and what you think of the comida para llevar place in Valencia near Calle Colon
that does several types of Paella and Fideos? Have picked it up a few times and then
ate on the tree lines boulevard. Sells out by 3pm usually.
Old Oct 4, 19, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by anngi View Post
Curious, if you know the name and what you think of the comida para llevar place in Valencia near Calle Colon
that does several types of Paella and Fideos? Have picked it up a few times and then
ate on the tree lines boulevard. Sells out by 3pm usually.
That’s “La Cuina” isn’t it?
Food there looks appetising.

How lovely to have that as a close by option.

For comida para llevar, It’s the pésimo “La Familia” franchise and little else in Alicante - it sucks
(I have a soft spot for the Pollastre Alicantí - local tip, you can request the lemon chicken if you call or pop in in advance and do an “encargo” - alas, none of the additional dishes are particularly good so I never go for any of the meal deals, just stick to the chicken. If you want to eat your chicken crispy ask for the caldo/stock to be packed separately).
Old Oct 10, 19, 2:12 pm

Programs: aa ua dl jb starwood marriott hyatt
Love the Chupa Chupa tapas at
Cervecería Sento Rambla or their others.
Have taken the boats many years from Benidorm to L’Ollas
and the fireworks are wonderful as is the boat trip.
Benidorm has a great family style charcoal grill restaurant and take out Pollo Express. Does wonderful grilled brisket. Also down the street from there is Sideria Garabatu. Menu of Dia $8.50 Bread, starter, entree, drink and dessert. All homemade family from Asturias. Easy pretty tram ride from Alicante.
Old Oct 10, 19, 2:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by LapLap View Post
Back in London and will be missing the “Listo Para Comer” range during the eating season.
But the title of this thread did spring to mind when I came across this in a Spanish store
https://www.planetadelibros.com.uy/l...en-casa/272789

Am expecting the book’s cover to propel it into infamy. If you enjoyed giving Roger & Gallet’s “Eau de Thé”, you’ll LOVE gifting “Simple” this Christmas.
Listo para.... indeed.
What's "the eating season"? Most people eat year round.
Old Oct 11, 19, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
What's "the eating season"? Most people eat year round.
Shhhhh! Don’t tell M&S and all the other supermarkets who churn out way more of their ready to eat selections in the run up to Christmas and the New Year. We also typically spend another 16%* on this thing we do all year around. (:whisper: part of this is that we tend to have more guests around to join in with all the seasonal eating)

* https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/know...d-at-christmas

Search this Thread