6.5 days in Madrid

Old Jul 27, 19, 11:09 pm
Original Poster

6.5 days in Madrid

Flying into and out of Madrid late October. It's my first time to Spain, but travel partner has been to Barcelona before. Is it best to spend all nights in Madrid, and do some day trips?

I was thinking it might make sense to do 2 nights Madrid, and then 3 nights in San Sebastian (or Seville), and last night in Madrid. Would that make sense? Primarily interested in food.

Thanks!

Last edited by Boringbarry; Jul 27, 19 at 11:25 pm
Old Jul 27, 19, 11:33 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
I was going to write that there is plenty to see in Madrid and suggest that you spend four days there and take two day trips, one to Toledo and one to Segovia. However, since food is your primary interest, you should spend some time in San Sebastian.
Old Jul 29, 19, 7:04 am
Original Poster

Thanks, does it sound about right then to do 2 nights Madrid, 3 San Sebastian, and then head back for Madrid the last night?
dascc likes this.
Old Jul 29, 19, 10:20 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Originally Posted by Boringbarry View Post
Thanks, does it sound about right then to do 2 nights Madrid, 3 San Sebastian, and then head back for Madrid the last night?
There is a lot more to see in Madrid. I can easily spend a full day at the Prado. There are other great museums, monuments, parks, the Royal Place, plazas, fountains, grand boulevards and so much more. There are also some excellent places to eat.

San Sebastian, however, is in a separate class when it comes to food. There are three Michelin restaurants and a total of eleven Michelin starred restaurants - the most in Spain - and lots of other great restaurants and pintxos (tapas) bars. You need advance reservations in most of the starred restaurants (for some of them, it may already be too late for October). If you do spend three days in San Sebastian, take a day trip to Bilbao.
Boringbarry likes this.
Old Aug 5, 19, 7:56 am

I was going to write that there is plenty to see in Madrid and suggest that you spend four days there and take two day trips, one to Toledo and one to Segovia. However, since food is your primary interest, you should spend some time in San Sebastian.
Rightly said there is so much to see in Madrid and it will take at least 4 days to experience it.

Last edited by albertbrown; Aug 5, 19 at 8:02 am
Old Aug 5, 19, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Starwood Plat, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Silver
If you like food, make sure you go off the beaten path. So many neighborhoods with great food. I started a thread about looking for off the beaten path suggestions. There was some great food ones in there.
I had some great food in the Lavapies neighborhood. I had a great chicken dish at an unassuming place called Tapas Y Fotos.
Some other tasty tapas at a place called Tainto Y Tapas.
Old Aug 11, 19, 7:49 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Sevilla is great and you could do it in a day with the high sped train. I would spend 2 days there though.
I second the recommendations for day trips to Toledo or Salamanca.
Old Oct 10, 19, 3:22 pm

Programs: aa ua dl jb starwood marriott hyatt
I would save San Sebastian for another trip. It’s a long way from Madrid. I would train to Seville then Granada and then back to Madrid. 1 night Mad, 1 night Seville 2 nights Granada and 1 night Madrid
Old Oct 24, 19, 6:40 am

Top restaurants in Madrid Fall 2019

If your intention is to do Madrid and San Sebastian, go ahead. You will have time to discover the 2 cities, but it's true that with 2 days in Madrid you will only observe the major highlights. Book restaurants in advance if you havent done it yet. This is a list of places where I'd go in Madrid for food:

1-. La Malanga

Mercado de la Cebada is one of those local food markets where you can still smell the old-fashioned stalls from the XIX century, where 'madrileños' bought fresh products. La Malanga is a hispanic-american sloppy food restaurant with a 3 sq. meters kitchen. Sebas, a Cordon Bleu chef master, cooks perfect Ceviches, amazing 'arroz Chaufa' and freshly served barbaqued octopus. A must to check, specially on week days, as you will be more comfortable.

2-. Lakasa

Contemporary cuisine adapted to old school Spanish dishes. Probably you will be ending paying around 60-80€ per person if you really want to get full, but it's a delicious and unique experience. Check their instagram page for daily suggestions!

3-. El Brote

My vegetarian pick is now at its best season. This restaurant focuses on wild mushrooms and fall is all about that! 'Boletus' and 'Niscalos' are probably the most common & known ones, but deffinitely worth to try the rest. Perfectly when combined with a white wine bottle.

4-. Charoles

Travellers interested in trying the best regional dish, must visit El Escorial, a beautiful town in Madrid's northern mountain range. 1 hour away from the center. 'Cocido madrileño' is their specialy. Fully served chickpeas stew with noodles and all sorts of meat and vegetables. A 'siesta' is recommended afterwards.

5-. Nakeima

I would say that this goes beyond expectations. A must if you are a foodie. They don't accept reservations, you just need to visit the restaurant at 12.30PM, when they give away tickets at the line. 1/2 bites dishes which will make you try new flavours! A food trip totally recommended.

Search this Thread