Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Spain/Portugal/Gibraltar
Reload this Page >

Madrid with no Spanish

Madrid with no Spanish

Old Jun 25, 19, 6:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, Marriott Gold
Madrid with no Spanish

Considering 6 days in Madrid but neither my wife nor I speak Spanish. I'm concerned it will be difficult to get around and communicate making the trip a bit stressful.
Thoughts?
Also is 6 days too much? I found what I thought was a good PE fare BOS-MAD $750 ea and have it on hold.
I know we can do some days trips from Madrid as well.
Thank you
Old Jun 25, 19, 7:09 am

Programs: A3*G, EY Silver
2-3 days to enjoy Madrid, and 2-3 day trips (Toledo, Segůvia, El Escorial), or alternatively, 2 days in Madrid, 1 day trip and 2 days in Seville (a 2.5 hr high-speed train ride away).

You'll be able to get around just fine if you install Google Translate and have some common sense, millions of tourists get around just fine every year, without knowing the language.
TWA884 likes this.
Old Jun 25, 19, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Thank you
Old Jun 26, 19, 5:46 am

Programs: AA Platinum (LT Gold), Stariott Lifetime Plat Premier, National Exec,Hyatt,Melia, BA Exec, Iberia+
Thatís a good fare in premium economy. There are many people who speak English (and many who donít); for conversational English and especially in touristy areas, you should be fine.
You could spend 3 days in Madrid and do a day trip to Toledo (highly recommend) and another to Segovia or El Escorial. Even Valencia is only 1 hour, 15-20 minutes on high speed train but Iíd stay overnight if going there as thereís much to do. You could also consider splitting trip and going to Barcelona or Sevilla as examples. Both are 2 1/2 hours or a bit more depending which train via high-speed train. Focusing on Madrid with a day trip or two would allow a more leisurely stay.
Old Jun 26, 19, 6:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
In the central areas and at tourist attractions, people you deal with will speak English. The same is certainly true at international hotels, although the housekeepers not so much, so you call the guest services line or talk to the front desk in person for special requests. Some years ago I drove alone by car through rural Spain, staying in small villages, knowing only four or five words or Spanish without any problems. Younger people in Spain generally have learned English quite well in school and through movies and TV, although older educated people might know French etc. instead.

BTW don't be afraid to do the excursions on your own; you don't need to take a tour and be herded around with other foreigners and given bad expensive meals at tourist traps. Also the advantage of doing a night away from Madrid is that you would see Toledo/Segovia/Seville at night too, when these places are beautiful. There's a very pleasant culture of strolling in the evening, stopping at an outdoor cafe for a drink, and then proceeding to a restaurant for a late dinner.
pbiflyer likes this.
Old Jun 28, 19, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all. Good info.. I've pretty much decided on and booked 3 nights 3 days in Madrid. One of those days will be a day trip to Toledo.
Then head to Sevilla for 2 nights. The final night will be back in Madrid for our flight home the next day.
I have some questions on tours but I'll start another thread to avoid confusion.
Old Jun 29, 19, 2:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL PM, Starwood Plat, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
In the central areas and at tourist attractions, people you deal with will speak English. The same is certainly true at international hotels, although the housekeepers not so much, so you call the guest services line or talk to the front desk in person for special requests. Some years ago I drove alone by car through rural Spain, staying in small villages, knowing only four or five words or Spanish without any problems. Younger people in Spain generally have learned English quite well in school and through movies and TV, although older educated people might know French etc. instead.

BTW don't be afraid to do the excursions on your own; you don't need to take a tour and be herded around with other foreigners and given bad expensive meals at tourist traps. Also the advantage of doing a night away from Madrid is that you would see Toledo/Segovia/Seville at night too, when these places are beautiful. There's a very pleasant culture of strolling in the evening, stopping at an outdoor cafe for a drink, and then proceeding to a restaurant for a late dinner.
This, if you do nothing else, this. And if your stay includes a Sunday, the locals (in any spanish city) are out and about strolling and enjoying the day. One of my best vacation days in Europe was strolling around Sevilla on a Sunday, having an occasional cocktail at an outdoor cafe.