FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Spain/Portugal/Gibraltar (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/spain-portugal-gibraltar-713/)
-   -   Lisbon neighborhoods/ hotels (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/spain-portugal-gibraltar/1975390-lisbon-neighborhoods-hotels.html)

cakegirl Jun 24, 2019 10:50 am

Lisbon neighborhoods/ hotels

Hello, I will be in Lisbon for 5 days in July and am having trouble figuring out the neighborhoods and choosing where to stay. I like interesting, cool neighborhoods rather than too touristy but don’t want to be isolated. I’m interested in food, drink ,culture, museums , markets, and shopping.
Does anyone have recommendations for hotels or which neighborhood to stay? I’m traveling alone so would like something a little lively like the equivalent of an Ace.

Palal Jun 24, 2019 11:09 am

The historic center (Graça, Castelo, Alfama, Bica, Bairro Alto, Chiado) is overrun by tourists who are looking for a cool but not touristy neighborhoods and are interested in food, drink, culture, museums, markets and shopping.

:rolleyes: :D

P.S. What's an Ace?

cakegirl Jun 24, 2019 12:04 pm

Is that a recommendation?
The Ace is an American hotel chain that is now expanding internationally. They tend to be fun social hotels, so good for someone traveling solo.

CaptainMiles Jun 24, 2019 5:56 pm

I think what Palal is trying to say is that the vast majority of tourists look for food, drink, culture, museums, markets, and shopping. So naturally the neighborhoods that offer these are full of tourists, probably reaching your definition of too touristy.

You need to relax some requirements for us to be able to provide a recommendation. You can't have food, drink, culture, museums, markets, shopping and not touristy. Does not exist.

Maestro Ramen Jun 24, 2019 6:28 pm

I would avoid anything around the station area (rocio). Tourist traps all around and folks casually trying to sell you drugs.

Rest of central town is still touristy all round but not that bad and everything is within walking/tram distance. Uber rides are cheap as well so neighborhood shouldnt matter too much.

If you want to avoid the touristy areas you could get a hotel a few metro stops down from the centre - like I do. But you might feel "isolated" there as it's mostly locals, no English on menus, etc...

cakegirl Jun 24, 2019 7:28 pm

Those were a list of things I'm interested in. I don't expect it all on the same block.
As a woman traveling alone and a chef I like access to good bars and restaurants at night without having to travel a long way in an unfamiliar city. Hopefully that can be in a neighborhood that is also to convenient to other things I'm interested in. If this was NY I would say avoid Times Square, check out the LES.

TWA884 Jun 24, 2019 8:11 pm

Lisbon is a relatively small city, only about 500,000 residents. Most attractions and good restaurants are no more than a fifteen to twenty minutes Uber/taxi ride from the center. I stayed on Avenida Liberdade and walked almost everywhere. Some of the best food in the Lisbon is found in the Mercado da Ribeira, a large food hall where most of the top chefs in the city have outlets.

CaptainMiles Jun 25, 2019 5:59 am

Looking through your past FT posts, it seems that you also like luxury and the fine things in life. Yet for this trip you want a fun social hotel. Keep in mind that in Lisbon the most social hotels are actually hostels, which are the best to meet and mingle. There are some nice, stylish, quasi-luxurious hostels in Lisbon. Check out hostelworld.com.

Marriott is opening a Moxy at Picoas, which is a not too touristy neighborhood. Moxy are fun and social and the closest to an Ace you will come. However, I don't think the Moxy will be open by July.

Check out Memmo Principe Real. Principe Real is a not too touristy neighborhood (not a tourist-free neighborhood). and is adjacent to Bairro Alto where you can find many bars and nightlife, so you will be able to walk to the hotel easily. It is luxurious, secluded, and has great views, even a pool. Also near some very good restaurants. Easy walk to city center (not so easy coming back, it's uphill, but you'll get used to it). I think this Memmo would be a good fit for you. There is also a Memmo in Alfama but that is tourist central, avoid.

Another nice hotel is Tivoli Avenida Liberdade. It is one short block away from Avenida da Liberdade, yet secluded enough to not be in tourist center but still close to everything. Awesome restaurant and bar on top floor (SEEN, which by its own name is the place to see and be seen) had great evening views.

These two hotels are more for the affluent traveler, not the hostel backpacker. Expect that those are the kind of people you will meet there.

Avoid the Belem area for a place to stay. There are museums there, with lots of tourists during the day, dead at night, and far from everything else.

cakegirl Jun 25, 2019 7:15 am

Thanks that’s so helpful. Both Memmo properties were on my radar so I’m glad to have the info about each of their locations.
I like nice hotels, and don’t stay in hostels , but also don’t travel the same way every time. Many of my previous posts were for couple trips, this is a solo trip.

TWA884 Jun 25, 2019 9:06 am

Originally Posted by TWA884 (Post 31236247)
I stayed on Avenida Liberdade and walked almost everywhere.

Originally Posted by CaptainMiles (Post 31237374)
Another nice hotel is Tivoli Avenida Liberdade.

That's where I stayed. Great hotel. Excellent location. Got a great deal on Hotwire, $200 a night including all taxes and fees.

dan9124 Jun 26, 2019 11:53 am

Is anyone else seeing the Memmo Principe Real as being totally blocked off on marriott.com? Not a single night available for the whole calendar, though 3rd party sites show availability.

cakegirl Jun 26, 2019 12:17 pm

I didn’t realize it was a Marriott . I did notice many nights at both Memmo properties were booked in July.

On another notice can anyone recommend a well priced car service to get from Lisbon to Comporta?

Palal Jun 29, 2019 10:20 am

Originally Posted by cakegirl (Post 31242325)
On another notice can anyone recommend a well priced car service to get from Lisbon to Comporta?

I'd suggest doing the drive yourself as it's quite easy (take the highway and avoid the long lines for the ferry)

pbiflyer Jun 29, 2019 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by cakegirl (Post 31236153)
Those were a list of things I'm interested in. I don't expect it all on the same block.
As a woman traveling alone and a chef I like access to good bars and restaurants at night without having to travel a long way in an unfamiliar city. Hopefully that can be in a neighborhood that is also to convenient to other things I'm interested in. If this was NY I would say avoid Times Square, check out the LES.

Check out the Time Out Market. While touristy, great sampling of local restaurants. And lots of locals were there when we were there.

erik123 Jul 6, 2019 3:25 pm

Alfama is a great neighborhood but if travelling alone more touristy will actually be better.