Toledo Visit from Madrid

Old May 25, 19, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, base with everyone else
Toledo Visit from Madrid

Hi All,

Can anyone recommend a tour group for a day trip to Toledo from Madrid? We have 2 small children with us for the trip. I am not sure if I should rent a car and drive or if I should take a tour group where everything is planned for you instead of trying to figure your way yourself. If I take a tour group for our family whether I should just use whatever the hotel concierge uses or if there's a better one out there I can book myself.

This is our first trip to Spain and we will be in Madrid for 5 days. Is a trip to Segovia recommended as well? I am really open for ideas. The kids are 8 and 6 so they are not too little but they certainly need their breaks so I can't really pack the visit too much.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

FHD
Old May 26, 19, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Starwood Plat, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Silver
Keep in mind that Toledo is pretty hilly. Kids (and adults) can get tired.
The train is a quick easy ride up there. But you will have to take a taxi/shuttle to the old city. There is a zip line across the river the kids might like.
Old May 26, 19, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA Platinum (LT Gold), Stariott Lifetime Plat Premier, National Exec,Hyatt,Melia, BA Exec, Iberia+
Iíve never done a tour to Toledo because I know it very well, so afraid I canít help with suggestions on that end.
the train is really easy (30 minutes from Madrid Atocha). Just make sure to book a couple days in advance as they sometimes sell out. Then take a taxi up to Plaza de Zocodover, as previously mentioned. The kids would probably like the ďtrainĒ tour (not really a train but it looks like one) that takes you out on the road opposite the walled city where you get to see the legendary views of Toledo.
Old May 26, 19, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by spainlover View Post
Iíve never done a tour to Toledo because I know it very well, so afraid I canít help with suggestions on that end.
the train is really easy (30 minutes from Madrid Atocha). Just make sure to book a couple days in advance as they sometimes sell out.
Thanks. I didnít even think about this selling out. Do you know if both the bus and train typically sell out to both Toledo and Segovia?
Old May 26, 19, 10:24 pm

Programs: AA Platinum (LT Gold), Stariott Lifetime Plat Premier, National Exec,Hyatt,Melia, BA Exec, Iberia+
I would definitely take the train to Toledo. Itís 30 minutes from a central location vs 60-90 minutes from slightly further out. Not sure on Segovia.
Old Jun 9, 19, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
This is the Madrid tourist website and they have a specific page on what to do with kids
Spain in general is child friendly.
https://www.esmadrid.com/ninos-madri....google.com%2F

Toledo is a huge tourist attraction
viator.com has tons of options. maybe even a private tour for just the four of you may be nice.
https://www.viator.com/searchResults...toledo&destId=
Old Jun 12, 19, 12:10 pm

Programs: British Airways Gold
To get around Toledo there is a tourist hop on hop off bus that stops at the train station
Old Jun 15, 19, 8:26 am

Programs: A3*G, EY Silver
It's a high-speed commuter train vs. a normal speed bus - take the train.
Segovia is nice - an hour's train ride from Madrid-Chamartin.

Closer to Madrid there's El Escorial and Valle de los Caidos (do a search on wikipedia on what those are). The first is reachable by commuter train, the second requires a car.
Old Jun 28, 19, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Marriott Gold
I have a similar question. Just the wife and I though. I know we can get to Toledo on our own and tour the town on our own.
I'm still considering that.
However, we typically like to do tours or at least meet up with a tour guide as we like learning about the area and the sights.

Has anyone used a tour they could recommend? I've used Viator in the past but they just a consolidator. I'd prefer to deal directly with the
company that actually runs the tour.

Search this Thread