Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Spain/Portugal/Gibraltar
Reload this Page >

Asking people who know Lisbon well

Old Apr 24, 19, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Hey I have an 11 hour flight layover in Lisbon from midnight until 11am. I was looking to take some pictures/photography of the scenic view of the 25 abril bridge from the cristo rei view. I see on google maps its under a half hour drive. I was thinking of being up early in the morning to catch photo at sunrise. I'd like to be at the airport at 9am as that should give enough time to get to international terminal to fly to United States. So, Its good that I leave at 8am to give me an hour time to get from Criso Rei to Lisbon airport. I'd think being up at sunrise around 6am should be good as I'd have 2 hours for picture taking. Let me know what you think as I hope its possible.
Old Apr 24, 19, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by pjacqueimo View Post
Hey I have an 11 hour flight layover in Lisbon from midnight until 11am. I was looking to take some pictures/photography of the scenic view of the 25 abril bridge from the cristo rei view. I see on google maps its under a half hour drive. I was thinking of being up early in the morning to catch photo at sunrise. I'd like to be at the airport at 9am as that should give enough time to get to international terminal to fly to United States. So, Its good that I leave at 8am to give me an hour time to get from Criso Rei to Lisbon airport. I'd think being up at sunrise around 6am should be good as I'd have 2 hours for picture taking. Let me know what you think as I hope its possible.
very doable... I'm assuming you'll already have your boarding pass so no need to go to check-in counter. It isn't a big airport so it wont take much time to get to your gate from security.
pbiflyer likes this.
Old Apr 26, 19, 11:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, HH Silver
I am not 100% sure, but I think the gates to Cristo Rei only open at 09:30.

There could be heavy morning rush traffic, but you should still be able to make it in under an hour. Weekdays only, weekends traffic is light at that hour.

Are you renting a car or taxi/uber? If renting a car, get it from one of the on-airport companies, as returning off-airport and taking a shuttle could easily add another 30 minutes.
Old Apr 27, 19, 2:53 am

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by CaptainMiles View Post
I am not 100% sure, but I think the gates to Cristo Rei only open at 09:30.
i called there to confirm. Yep, I was right, gates open at 9:30, there is no access for sunrise. You'd better find something else to do because your plan won't work.
Old Apr 27, 19, 8:56 am
Original Poster

oh well. Hoping the bridge has cool views at night or there are other awesome spots to see the bridge in the morning
Old Apr 29, 19, 9:52 am

Programs: A3*G, EY Silver
Obviously, the bridge is best viewed from the east side in the AM, and the west side in the PM. At night the lights are on until 1AM. In my opinion, the best view is from the water. You can always try taking a ferry across from Lisbon to Almada and back, though there are no open air decks.

I would suggest you do the following:
Take the ferry from Cais do Sodré to Cacilhas, then walk to Ponto Final https://bit.ly/2Wbpn3K (or even further down), get some pix there. Take the elevator up (https://bit.ly/2GSvVz6), and get some more pics. Then get an uber back to the Airport from there or walk to the Pragal train station and take the train to Roma.

One point to note - the heaviest traffic over the bridge (and around the city) in the morning is 8:00-9:30AM. You can always take the train from Pragal to Roma and then catch an Uber from there - that may be faster than taking an Uber directly from Cristo Rei.

Search this Thread