Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Spain/Portugal/Gibraltar
Reload this Page >

Check-in time for morning ex-MAD flight to Toronto

Old Apr 23, 19, 8:29 pm
Original Poster

Hello:

I have an early flight departing at 9:00am on a Wed from Madrid on Air Canada (Terminal 1). I am a solo female traveler and therefore don't want to take a taxi or Uber. So, i will most likely take the earliest bus leaving close to Atocha bus station at 6am. The airport info page says that under normal traffic conditions, it should take 35-40min. I know there is a direct train from Atocha station, but it only goes to T4. Connecting buses are available, but it's less convenient for me to do this train-bus transfer since I will have quite a lot of luggage (shopping maniac!). So, I am leaning towards the bus.

I will fly in business class and therefore have Fast Track security check access. My questions are:
1. What does morning traffic look like in this above mentioned bus route?
2. I have access to fast track security line, but I guess there is not a fast track immigration line. How long is the usual wait?
3. Overall, do you think I should take the bus or the train?
4. I have only used T4 and heard from a friend that T1 is a "mess". How true is this statement?

I like Iberia's T4, but I don't like that fact that other terminals are completely separated from each other.

Thanks.
Old Apr 25, 19, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by Barkinpark View Post
Hello:

I have an early flight departing at 9:00am on a Wed from Madrid on Air Canada (Terminal 1). I am a solo female traveler and therefore don't want to take a taxi or Uber. So, i will most likely take the earliest bus leaving close to Atocha bus station at 6am. The airport info page says that under normal traffic conditions, it should take 35-40min. I know there is a direct train from Atocha station, but it only goes to T4. Connecting buses are available, but it's less convenient for me to do this train-bus transfer since I will have quite a lot of luggage (shopping maniac!). So, I am leaning towards the bus.

I will fly in business class and therefore have Fast Track security check access. My questions are:
1. What does morning traffic look like in this above mentioned bus route?
2. I have access to fast track security line, but I guess there is not a fast track immigration line. How long is the usual wait?
3. Overall, do you think I should take the bus or the train?
4. I have only used T4 and heard from a friend that T1 is a "mess". How true is this statement?

I like Iberia's T4, but I don't like that fact that other terminals are completely separated from each other.

Thanks.
With all due respect, you (and your belongings) will be much safer in a taxi / uber than in a public bus. Especially because the airport bus is a known target of pickpockets. If you want to feel ultra-safe, order a premium Uber (UberOne) and you will get a professional driver in a Tesla.

As of the other things:

1./ There should not be any traffic at 6am
2./ There is not fast track immigration line indeed. Waiting times for EU passport holders are short to very short. For non-EU passport holders it can be longer but 9am is not rush hour.
3./ A taxi or an Uber. O a shuttle if you are in a hotel.
4./ Is much older than T4, but you have to walk much less. It does not look "pretty", but I found T1/2/3 to be quite nice. Security is as fast as T4.
Barkinpark likes this.
Old Apr 26, 19, 4:21 am

Programs: AA Platinum (LT Gold), Stariott Lifetime Plat Premier, National Exec,Hyatt,Melia, BA Exec, Iberia+
Agreed with Schrodingerdog, I would take a taxi or Cabify/Uber. I would have zero concern doing so as a solo female traveler (I am one) in Spain at any time of day. And as you say you have a lot of luggage, that would be far more convenient. Iím also guessing cost isnít a concern if traveling in business class and shopping a lot. I would simply take a taxi.
There shouldnít be any traffic at that time of day.
GalaxyChris and Barkinpark like this.
Old May 3, 19, 7:01 am

Programs: A3*G, EY Silver
If you're flying in biz, get to the airport at T-90 mins at the earliest - 7:30. If you have no bags to check, you can even check-in online and get there at T-60. Assuming an hour for the bus (it shouldn't take that long), leave at 6:30-7:00 from Atocha (check the timetable). Another alternative is the metro, though that'll be 1-2 transfers, depending on where you're coming from. Don't take the train to T4, that will be slower.

1. No traffic
2. Assume 15-20 mins.
3. All depends on where you're leaving from.
4. T123 is more efficient than T4 (and faster to get through) but not as nice looking (I'll take efficient over nice-looking any day).
Barkinpark likes this.

Search this Thread