Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Spain/Portugal/Gibraltar
Reload this Page >

Dual U.S./France Citizen traveling to Spain: HELP

Old Mar 28, 19, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Hi there. I just booked a ticket for my father from NYC to Barcelona. He is a dual citizen & has both a U.S. & a French passport. I entered his U.S. passport info on the airline's site. Is this a problem if he's staying for 6-8 months?
Old Mar 28, 19, 3:16 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by JerseyGirlLisa View Post
Hi there. I just booked a ticket for my father from NYC to Barcelona. He is a dual citizen & has both a U.S. & a French passport. I entered his U.S. passport info on the airline's site. Is this a problem if he's staying for 6-8 months?
As long as he enters the EU with an EU passport, he should have no issue whatsoever. I always enter the EU with my EU Passport for this reason.
Old Mar 28, 19, 4:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If you happened to enter the US passport information, he can change that at the airport. Remember, enter the EU on the EU (Spanish) passport and enter the US on the US passport.
Old Mar 28, 19, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

Here's the thing...his French passport has a slightly different name & I had already purchased the ticket w/his "American" name, so I entered the U.S. passport. To change the passport info would involve changing the name on the reservation.
Old Mar 28, 19, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

Jspira: But then what do you do, use your U.S. passport to return here?
Old Mar 29, 19, 4:27 am

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, HH Silver
This is quite simple. Enter his US passport in the airline system. The airline will know nothing but US passport, which matches he ticket. Check in with American passport. When arriving in Spain, present the French passport to the immigration officer.

When returning, again present the US passport to the airline at check in. Then present the French passport to the immigration officer when leaving Spain. Present the US passport to the immigration officer when arriving in the US.
Old Mar 29, 19, 4:35 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by CaptainMiles View Post
This is quite simple. Enter his US passport in the airline system. The airline will know nothing but US passport, which matches he ticket. Check in with American passport. When arriving in Spain, present the French passport to the immigration officer.

When returning, again present the US passport to the airline at check in. Then present the French passport to the immigration officer when leaving Spain. Present the US passport to the immigration officer when arriving in the US.
Not nearly as simple as you make out. If only the American passport is shown to the airline then he would be denied boarding as the anticipated stay is longer than permitted for a US citizen. In reality both passports are going to have to be shown to the airline with an explanation of the situation
:D! likes this.
Old Mar 29, 19, 6:09 am

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by JerseyGirlLisa View Post
Here's the thing...his French passport has a slightly different name & I had already purchased the ticket w/his "American" name, so I entered the U.S. passport. To change the passport info would involve changing the name on the reservation.
Nothing to worry about if both his passports are currently valid at the time of the trip.

Most of the US-EU dual nationals in my family have different name arrangements in their EU passports than in their US passports. As long as they have both passports, it’s not a problem at all — beside the issue of frequent flyer program account status benefits and flight credit not necessarily working as smoothly.
Old Mar 29, 19, 6:17 am

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by ajeleonard View Post
Not nearly as simple as you make out. If only the American passport is shown to the airline then he would be denied boarding as the anticipated stay is longer than permitted for a US citizen. In reality both passports are going to have to be shown to the airline with an explanation of the situation
The first sentence above isn’t necessarily true, but there would often — but far from always — be an explanation needed about how/why there isn’t an applicable overstay situation.

The second sentence above is also not necessarily true, but there would often need to be an explanation provided about how an overstay situation isn’t applicable.

I only have US passports and many of my US-EU roundtrip bookings involve me appearing to have more than 90 day stays in the Schengen area, but for many such times I don’t need to provide the airlines with any explanation about overstaying.
Old Apr 1, 19, 9:04 am

Programs: A3*G, EY Silver
Because there are no exit controls in the US, the person should transmit his US passport info to the airline (APIS) and show them the EU passport if questioned. They can then show the EU passport at the border. No issues whatsoever.
:D! likes this.
Old Apr 3, 19, 2:59 pm

Programs: TK Gold
CaptainMiles is correct. This won't be an issue. I do this all the time between my Australian and Italian passports often travelling but entering a country with different documents. (I don't do this when travelling to the USA though.) In Italy it is usual for women to retain their maiden names so often a female will have totally different surnames between their Italian documents and foreign documents.

Search this Thread