FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Spain/Portugal/Gibraltar (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/spain-portugal-gibraltar-713/)
-   -   Northern Portugal/Spain vs Southern Route (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/spain-portugal-gibraltar/1954612-northern-portugal-spain-vs-southern-route.html)

dave_261 Feb 4, 2019 11:53 am

Northern Portugal/Spain vs Southern Route

Hi all- I'll spare the lengthy itinerary options I've come up with for a trip in mid April, and pose it as a simpler question...

First, the background. We have tickets into Lisbon and out of Madrid. The 2 options we're looking at are:
- North: via Porto (then train to) San Sebastian, Bilbao, Burgos, Salamancia, Segovia, Madrid
- South: via Lagos, Faro, Seville, Cordoba, Madrid

Of course we'd do other things along the way, but this covers the basics. We're interested in good food and wine, seeing some of the smaller towns and culture, and getting outdoors. I know the weather in the north could be a bit dicier than in the south.

Ok so the question... if you HAD to pick the cities in the north trip vs. the cities in the south trip, knowing no other facts about me or where I've traveled (which I know is unfair), which would you suggest to someone?

kmora Feb 4, 2019 11:58 am

I would pick the south option without hesitation. The north is interesting, of course, but there is nothing richer in options and beauty like the south cities you listed. Include Granada if you can, it will be the cherry on top!

Palal Feb 5, 2019 4:30 am

Ah decisions, decisions!

With the exception of a few spots, the Algarve is not my thing. Costa Vincentina (the Atlantic Coast south of Sines) is beautiful though. Seville, Córdoba and Ronda are really cool.

AFAIK, there are no trains from Porto to S. Sebastian. You can fly there on Volotea or to Seville on Ryanair.

Food and wine are great along both routes.

markwilliamuk Feb 8, 2019 3:55 am

Enjoy Lisbon city breaks at first when you visited. later go throughPortonorth and explore Porto with your friends & family.

catcher1 Feb 10, 2019 6:36 am

Southern route. Drive. Stay at Paradores in villages and the countryside.

keisari Feb 19, 2019 9:21 pm

It is literally a toss up. Whichever way you pick you cannot go wrong. There are great food options in all of Spain and each city/town has its own charm. If you take the Northern route consider adding Santiago de Compostela even if only for one night.
The only caveat is April; higher chance of rain and colder weather in the north vs most likely dryer and warmer in the south.
Train connections are not as good in Spain as in other EU countries but driving is easy even though parking is a hassle in most cities.
There are some routes that are better covered by bus. Just one more option up your sleeve.