VAT refund at LIS

Old Jan 28, 19, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

VAT refund at LIS

I bought a large suitcase in Portugal and would like to claim a VAT refund upon my departure from LIS with TP.

My plan is to pack my things in the new bag, bring it to the airport, get the VAT refund form stamped by customs landside, check the luggage at TP's check-in counter, pass security and get my refund at one of the operators airside (Global Blue, Planet Tax Free, Innova Tax Free, Travel Tax Free).

Questions:
  1. Is there any reason for one to choose one operator over another? If I understand correctly, I can also just mail the VAT refund form myself.
  2. Can anyone confirm that the information below (source: ANA) is accurate and up-to-date?

What do I need to do at the airport?

To facilitate the verification process, we suggest that you put all of the goods into just one bag, if possible.

CHECKED BAGGAGE: Go to the check-in desk for your flight and tell the person on duty that you have items to declare. Next, go to an electronic terminal (kiosk), taking with you:

- Your passport or other identity document;
- Your boarding pass;
- The proof of purchase with registration code that you were given in the shop;
- The goods and corresponding invoices.

Follow the instructions at the kiosks, which will show:

Code Green: You can make your way to the handler's conveyor belt (Groundforce or Portway) or return to the check-in desk to check your bags. Next, go to the desk belonging to the VAT refund operator to receive your refund or put your validated form into one of the drums provided for the purpose.

Code Red: Go to the Customs desk.
PS: I know this probably belongs in a different subforum but I was hoping to get the attention of our TP/LIS experts without crossposting.
Old Jan 29, 19, 9:23 am

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP; Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I purchased a new suitcase last month in Lisbon and flew out on TAP. This is the process at Lisbon airport that I had to follow.

1) check in with airline and inform them one of your bags is tax free. They will tag all of your luggage to your destination then return the tax free suitcase to you with the tag attached and put the other bags down the belt to be loaded into the aircraft.

2) take the new bag only (as the other bags are now on their way to the aircraft) with your boarding pass, passport, receipts and tax free forn to the tax free area. Itís a different check in area with both customs and a baggage collection point. Itís not the easiest to find so make sure you get the counter number. It took me about 10 minutes from the TAP check in area. Customs will stamp the document and the counter next to them will take the bag and place it onto your flight.

3) I used the refund counter after security and with the receipt, customs stamped tax free form, passport and boarding card in hand the refund took 5 minutes and was paid in cash against a small fee. My receipt was issued by global blue. Iím not sure if the same refund counter took other companies receipts or not.

its possible you may have been issued a receipt encouraging you to use their barcode scanning passport scanning machine. Thatís always an option but I wouldnít feel comfortable and preferred to just get the stamp as the line is usually empty before security.
mmff likes this.
Old Jan 29, 19, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the detailed explanation.

I wasn't sure this would work for a checked bag because in theory the goods to declare for a VAT refund should be unused and in mint condition, and a bag full of clothes is neither. Did the customs agent check it thoroughly before stamping your form? Did you keep the brand/model labels on the bag until then?
Old Jan 29, 19, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP; Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I did not keep the tags on the bag. The bag had even been beaten up a little with dents and weighed over 23kg. No one blinked. I believe suitcases are an exception to the unused rule but still need to be purchased less than 90 days before you depart the EU.
mmff likes this.
Old Jan 29, 19, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cxbonne View Post
I did not keep the tags on the bag. The bag had even been beaten up a little with dents and weighed over 23kg. No one blinked. I believe suitcases are an exception to the unused rule but still need to be purchased less than 90 days before you depart the EU.
Thanks, that's very helpful to know.

Search this Thread