Family stay in Lisbon

Old Jan 24, 2019, 2:28 am
Original Poster

Family stay in Lisbon

First visit from east coast (US) to Europe in early July. We're planning on doing 5 days in Lisbon then flying to Naples and want to do 5 days in Sorrento. Family of 4, 2 adults and 2 kids (3 & 10). I'm sitting on a bit of Marriott points (Platinum Elite status) as well as Hilton points (Diamond status & HGVC). Finding a room is a bit of a challenge for the 4 of us as we'd like to stay in the city within walking distance of major attractions. With a toddler and being our 1st trip, would prefer to stay in a hotel, vs Airbnb or an apartment, and not venture too far. I tentatively booked 2 rooms at the Lisbon Marriott as most only allow 2 per room and I know upgrades aren't guaranteed. Looking for any suggestions on best way to proceed. Are we better off to forego the "5th night free" when using points? What's recommended as a central location to stay? Not trying to see everything at once but would like to see a few of the touristy areas and the beach. Don't mind taking the train but really trying to avoid renting a car.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 3:04 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
The Lisbon Marriott is in a really bad location far away from everything.

From the marriott family look into:
Altis Belm
The Sheraton
Memmo Principe Real (right in the center)
Fontecruz Lisboa (right in the center)

For Hilton look at the DoubleTree - good location close to the Sheraton.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 11:14 pm
Original Poster

I'll work on changing that now
Old Jan 28, 2019, 3:35 am

Just FYI - bad location for the Marriott = far away from everything. That part of town is ok, but there's NOTHING to around there, the city center is far away and the nearest metro stop is a bit of a walk away.

Last edited by Palal; Jan 31, 2019 at 2:47 am
Old Jan 29, 2019, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Palal
Just FYI - bad location = far away from everything. That part of town is ok, but there's NOTHING to around there, the city center is far away and the nearest metro stop is a bit of a walk away.
That's exactly what we're looking for, to be able to walk from the hotel to some sights around town.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by skw1
That's exactly what we're looking for, to be able to walk from the hotel to some sights around town.
We are staying at the Autograph collection, Fontecruz Lisboa next week. Seems centrally located. Close to a lot of things, metro, start of Tram 28, etc.
Will post a review when we get back.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 6:39 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
by the way, many hotels say no more than 2 people but they mean adults or older kids
I would check with the hotel but many will allow 2 adults with 2 young kids using existing bedding
the difficult part is finding a hotel with 2 double beds vs one larger bed or 2 twins.
I assume that you will not leave the two kids alone in a room unless they are adjoining rooms.
why not just bring 2 very thin sleeping bags and let them "camp" on the floor while you are on vacation.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 4:14 am

Originally Posted by keisari
by the way, many hotels say no more than 2 people but they mean adults or older kids
I would check with the hotel but many will allow 2 adults with 2 young kids using existing bedding
the difficult part is finding a hotel with 2 double beds vs one larger bed or 2 twins.
I assume that you will not leave the two kids alone in a room unless they are adjoining rooms.
why not just bring 2 very thin sleeping bags and let them "camp" on the floor while you are on vacation.
Just make sure the room is big enough for the sleeping bags. Even if it's a chain hotel, that does not mean the rooms will be American-sized.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 9:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, *G, JJ, AD, Global Entry, CLEAR, H.O.G. Life Member
Originally Posted by keisari
We have a trip planned in late April. In Lisbon, we will be at a hotel called O Artista. Originally the booking was just for myself and wife, and the web site indicated 2 per room, no matter what type of room was selected. There is a possibility that our adult daughter may join us, and I contacted the hotel to inform them. They promptly responded, saying no problem for 3 in the room at an additional cost, but also suggested a larger room if we thought it would be too crowded. I would suggest contacting whatever hotel you choose directly.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
For those mentioning the Fontecruz, it's a nice hotel in a good location, but I probably wouldn't recommend it for a family. It's a trendy, kind of weird hotel, IMO geared toward young singles and couples. It wouldn't be offensive or unsuitable for children, just might not be the vibe you want for a family vacation.

I think Palal's list is otherwise a good one.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.