Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Spain/Portugal/Gibraltar
Reload this Page >

Azores in February for 2 days..good idea?

Azores in February for 2 days..good idea?

Old Jan 15, 19, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: US Airways DM Silver, United Mileage Plus
Smile Azores in February for 2 days..good idea?

Hi, wanted to get an idea from the experienced readers of this forum if 2 days in Feb makes sense for the Azores? I'm flying into Lisbon around mid Feb, debating whether it makes sense to visit the Azores for 2 days. Big unknown is how bad the weather might be then. I know it will be cool, possibly rainy, but how high is the probability of rain? I'm debating just visiting Sao Miguel island and doing the lake tours, hiking etc, not sure if these are good ideas for Feb. Totally open to all ideas/suggestions on whether this is a good idea, or how else I can spend two days in the Azores. Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 15, 19, 10:16 am

Programs: WN A-List due to work travel patterns. Paid F or Biz for pleasure - so no need to chase status
Originally Posted by mrwise View Post
Hi, wanted to get an idea from the experienced readers of this forum if 2 days in Feb makes sense for the Azores? I'm flying into Lisbon around mid Feb, debating whether it makes sense to visit the Azores for 2 days. Big unknown is how bad the weather might be then. I know it will be cool, possibly rainy, but how high is the probability of rain? I'm debating just visiting Sao Miguel island and doing the lake tours, hiking etc, not sure if these are good ideas for Feb. Totally open to all ideas/suggestions on whether this is a good idea, or how else I can spend two days in the Azores. Thanks in advance!
Statistically, the weather will likely not be good. The Azores have a relatively wet and cloudy climate year-round, especially in winter. Even if it is not raining, there is a good chance the scenic things you want to do (seeing the volcanoes and lakes) will be up in the clouds and fog. This is a risk year-round there but especially in winter.

According to this source, February is one of the wettest months, averaging 13 days of rain and only four days of sun at Ponta Delgada (which is on São Miguel).
Old Jan 15, 19, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Hi Bear96, thanks a ton for your reply. I suppose I hadn't considered that Feb can be one of the wettest months, just figured it would rain occasionally. But it would be a damper on viewing conditions for sure. I'm tending towards not doing the Azores then. It's interesting because people do travel there during Dec-Feb, but they may have other activities in mind.
Old Jan 17, 19, 4:56 pm

Programs: WN A-List due to work travel patterns. Paid F or Biz for pleasure - so no need to chase status
A hot mud bath in the cool rain can be nice!
Old Jan 21, 19, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bear96 View Post
A hot mud bath in the cool rain can be nice!
Indeed, but not when the alternative is spending time elsewhere in Portugal or Spain for that matter

Search this Thread