Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Spain/Portugal/Gibraltar
Reload this Page >

Madrid - San Sebastian - Barcelona

Madrid - San Sebastian - Barcelona

Old Nov 30, 18, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX MPC Silver
Thanks everyone for your inputs. There's been a change in my travel plans. My group of friends also plan to go to Spain on our next trip. So i thought me and my wife will just go to another European country so I won't be going to the same places in the same year.

I will be back on this thread when we start planning for our group trip to Spain.
Old May 9, 19, 8:34 am
Original Poster

I’m back in planning for our friends group trip to Spain this October.

We already booked our tickets, flying in to Seville, then fly out from Barcelona. Total of 13 days including the flight days. Day 1 we arrive at Seville around noon. And leaving Barcelona on the afternoon of our last day.

We will be going to Seville, then Madrid, then finally Barcelona. How should we distribute the days in each of these cities? We are open to adding other places to our trip, as long as they are just day trips from one of the 3 cities mentioned.
Old May 9, 19, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Starwood Plat, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Silver
What do you like to do? That may make a difference.
Madrid has great museums. Barcelona great atmosphere. Sevilla a more laid back way.

You can do several day trips from Madrid, if you want. Toledo and Segovia are easy train rides.
Best Barcelona day trip is to wineries or roman ruins.
Cordoba is an easy train ride from Sevilla.

Without knowing much about your interests, I would say (11 real days) - 3 - 4 - 4. But that could change dramatically depending on interests. You could spend a week at each destination and not run out of things to do.
I assume no car, all train transport, correct?
TWA884 and boybi like this.
Old May 9, 19, 8:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pbiflyer View Post
What do you like to do? That may make a difference.
Madrid has great museums. Barcelona great atmosphere. Sevilla a more laid back way.

You can do several day trips from Madrid, if you want. Toledo and Segovia are easy train rides.
Best Barcelona day trip is to wineries or roman ruins.
Cordoba is an easy train ride from Sevilla.

Without knowing much about your interests, I would say (11 real days) - 3 - 4 - 4. But that could change dramatically depending on interests. You could spend a week at each destination and not run out of things to do.
I assume no car, all train transport, correct?
We are a bunch of males in our 40s and 50s. We are not much into museums, but we can see ruins, old towns, ancient sites, etc. We are more into food and drinks and eating real local foods.

Will it be too much out of the way if we include San Sebastian in our trip?
Old May 9, 19, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Starwood Plat, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by boybi View Post
We are a bunch of males in our 40s and 50s. We are not much into museums, but we can see ruins, old towns, ancient sites, etc. We are more into food and drinks and eating real local foods.

Will it be too much out of the way if we include San Sebastian in our trip?
All of the cities will fit well then. I like Barcelona over Madrid a bit, but the 3-4-4 or even 2-4-5 for Sevilla, Madrid, Barceloan would work. If you are going to do a day trip from one of the cities, make that your extra day.

How would you get to/from San Sebastian? Drive, train, fly? Each is going to take a half day+, so you are going to lose 1.5 days in travel and you are already doing a bit of that in a short time.
I always advocate less places more time, but it is up to you. You can sample each of the cities in less time and go more places.
Old May 9, 19, 9:52 pm
Original Poster

Just checked that it's impossible to do a day trip to San Sebastian. We'll just see what other places we can day trip from each of the 3 cities.

Btw, how are the trains of Spain? Are they the trains of Italy, France or Germany?
Old May 10, 19, 10:07 am

Programs: AA Platinum (LT Gold), Stariott Lifetime Plat Premier, National Exec,Hyatt,Melia, BA Exec, Iberia+
Trains in Spain are excellent, particularly among major cities. You'll take the AVE (alta velocidad = high speed) train from Sevilla to Madrid in 2 1/2 hours or a bit over, and then from Madrid to Barcelona in 2 1/2-3 hours depending on stops. There's also a high-speed train from Madrid to Toledo in under 30 minutes (it's an hour by car). Not every city pair has high-speed train connections, but most of the majors.
I'd probably do 3-4-4 in terms of number of days, but could also see just 2 days in Sevilla if not going anywhere else nearby as a day trip. For day trips, I would do Toledo (am biased as I spent a semester there in college, but it's a gorgeous former capital of Spain) and from Barcelona either Girona or Tarragona or Cadaques/Costa Brava, depending on preferences. Barcelona and the whole region of Cataluña is amazing for food - I'd try to do one of the top high-end ones if that fits your interests. Celler de Can Roca around Girona is probably impossible to get into, but Disfrutar in Barcelona or sister restaurant Compartir in Cadaques, Tickets in Barcelona, Moments in the Mandarin Oriental or one of several other top ones. There are many, many wonderful places to eat ... You could also do a winery tour. There are also plenty of good restaurants in Madrid and all over Spain.
You might want to check out a football game, either Real Madrid or FC Barcelona (or Atletico, but most people pick one of the first two).
Hope those help with some ideas.
pbiflyer likes this.
Old May 13, 19, 7:15 am
Original Poster

We might want to try to watch a bull fight, will there be one in October in Seville or in Madrid? I think bull fighting is banned in Barcelona?