Wiki Posts
Search

Car Rental in Portugal (Lisbon)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2018, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Car Rental in Portugal (Lisbon)

We'll be in Portugal for about a week. The first couple of days we'll be in Lisbon (no car) and after that we head out to parts unknown. (at least at this point in our planning)
Car rental company suggestions?
Thanks
Old Nov 8, 2018, 1:39 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
I usually use a consolidator (e.g. rentalcars.com or economycarrentals.com) to rent cars here. Off-peak (outside of July-August) the prices are very low. When you book, make sure fuel is full-to-full with no admin costs, and that the amount of insurance that you want is included (basic insurance is mandatory and included if you book on a non-US site, with a deductible of 500-1500€ or thereabouts). Fuel is expensive, motorway tolls are expensive. Get via verde (toll device) which will cost you about 1€/day or less, which will save you a lot of hassle with paying tolls.

Other than the big brand names, which tend to be good generally, a few rental agencies that I've rented from that I found to be smooth...
- driveonholidays, autoclick, guerin (big brand name), keddy (europcar), interrent (make sure you're avoiding the extra fees) and others that I don't remember.

In my experience, Centauro and goldcar have hidden fees on their cheapest rentals, and are best avoided.

Regardless of the agency, expect to spend some time to pick up the car and inspect it well and make sure you note down any scratches.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Palal
I usually use a consolidator (e.g. rentalcars.com or economycarrentals.com) to rent cars here. Off-peak (outside of July-August) the prices are very low. When you book, make sure fuel is full-to-full with no admin costs, and that the amount of insurance that you want is included (basic insurance is mandatory and included if you book on a non-US site, with a deductible of 500-1500€ or thereabouts). Fuel is expensive, motorway tolls are expensive. Get via verde (toll device) which will cost you about 1€/day or less, which will save you a lot of hassle with paying tolls.

Other than the big brand names, which tend to be good generally, a few rental agencies that I've rented from that I found to be smooth...
- driveonholidays, autoclick, guerin (big brand name), keddy (europcar), interrent (make sure you're avoiding the extra fees) and others that I don't remember.

In my experience, Centauro and goldcar have hidden fees on their cheapest rentals, and are best avoided.

Regardless of the agency, expect to spend some time to pick up the car and inspect it well and make sure you note down any scratches.
Thanks!
Any experience with SIXT?
Old Nov 8, 2018, 8:10 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
In 2016, I booked a full size, BMW 3 series or similar, at LIS through Economy Car Rentals. The actual provider was Luso Rent a Car. We ended up with a BMW 3 Series station wagon, about a year old with approximately 11,000 km on the odometer. It was fairly well equipped, M Sport trim with navigation, and was in good mechanical condition, however, it had a beat up exterior. It cost significantly less than what was quoted by other companies.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 2:16 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by pkerr
Thanks!
Any experience with SIXT?
The times I've rented with them I had no issues, other than the fact that they were on the expensive side.

Luso Rent a Car - also no issues with them.

If you want to earn some avios, Avis+Iberia have a promo now - 3 day rentals of a group C or higher car that include a Saturday night rental get you 9000
avios. The 3-day rental shouldn't cost you more than 25€ at a neighborhood avis location (not sure about how much more/less it would be at the airport location).
Old Nov 9, 2018, 7:43 am

I used Sixt, booked through Rentalcars.com. No problems at all and good price. Definitely get the toll device for the motorways, there are roads where the toll applies automatically.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the info...
Old Nov 15, 2018, 8:27 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
A few years ago I rented from Avis which was located in the Hotel Marques de Pombal where I was staying. It was convenient and no problems.
I have rented in France from Sixt and had no problems at all. The counter was closed and I had to leave the car in the parking lot at CDG and drop the keys in a box. I was worried. Took tons of pictures of the car and the key being dropped etc.... expecting problems but never had an issue.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 8:29 pm
Original Poster

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.