Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Spain/Portugal/Gibraltar
Reload this Page >

Driver/Guide from Lisbon to Porto (stopping Aviero/Obidos)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2018, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott/SPG Plat (won't last), Hilton Gold

I'm going on a personal vacation in the spring - first one in awhile! Thinking about splurging on a driver/guide from Lisbon to Porto who can stop in a couple of towns on the way (maybe Aviero and Obidos, but open), for two people (mom and daughter). Anyone have a great recommendation? (I've never used this section of FT before - not sure it's as active as the other sections but figured that FT folks always have great taste.)

Thank you!
Old Oct 28, 2018, 8:04 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Nobody has responded and I am sorry but I have no recommendations.
A couple of years ago I rented a car in Lisbon and drove past Fatima, spent a night in Coimbra, went to Porto and up to Santiago de Compostela in Spain. The roads are great, the driving easy, good signage and lot of stop areas.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 10:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott/SPG Plat (won't last), Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by keisari
Nobody has responded and I am sorry but I have no recommendations.
A couple of years ago I rented a car in Lisbon and drove past Fatima, spent a night in Coimbra, went to Porto and up to Santiago de Compostela in Spain. The roads are great, the driving easy, good signage and lot of stop areas.
Thank you for your response though! Did you enjoy Coimbra? It's on my list. Thanks!!
Old Nov 5, 2018, 8:16 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by onetess
Thank you for your response though! Did you enjoy Coimbra? It's on my list. Thanks!!
Coimbra was very nice. It is a medieval town (you should do at least part of it by foot) with lots of plazas, a nice University, I missed the library.
Definitely a place to spend the night or stop for a few hours.
I loved Lisbon. I is an amazing underrated city. The food is excellent and the view are great.
I know you are not going to Spain but Santiago de Compostela is truly a gem. The main cathedral, the great squares, the narrow streets, the markets and the awesome Northern Spanish food.
onetess likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 8:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'd drive. It's relatively easy in Portugal, even if you haven't yet driven much in Europe. Just be sure to confirm an automatic, with AC for warm weather. You'll save money to spend on other stuff and have more flexibility. With Michelin guides, maps, and GPS you don't need a driver/guide.

Coimbra is special. It's a very old preserved small city with a historic university where traditionally students serenaded their love interests.

If you're going to cross the Spanish border, in addition to Santiago, Bayona (spelled various ways) near Vigo is special with a stunning but not particularly expensive parador built into an old fortress on the coast. The parador in Santiago is much more fancy (IIRC it's officially rated as five star luxury) and more expensive, but it's a truly special experience to stay here.

Try to stay in some posadas and historic boutique hotels along the way.
onetess likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 7:50 am

Similar thing. Lisbon for a couple nights, train up to La Coruna (stopping along the way).

Then picking up a car in La Caruna, and driving to Barcelona thru/along Pyrenees (also stopping along the way) It would be late May, early June. Just starting to research. May post if I have any questions, or if anyone has suggestions..
onetess likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.