Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Spain/Portugal/Gibraltar
Reload this Page >

Purchasing Train Tickets in Portugal

Old Oct 9, 18, 10:08 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Original Poster

Programs: Metro-North Rubbish, Keisei Skinflint, KCR Headphones, Kopaja Platinum

Hi everyone,

So as to not cut into sightseeing time, I'd like to buy a one-way ticket from Porto to Lisbon in advance, for 24 October. Although I have read that Porto Campanhã to Lisbon Oriente is the most frequent routing, more convenient would certainly be São Bento to Santa Apolónia. What are your recommendations for this journey?

TIA,
BmB
Old Oct 9, 18, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton IHG LH BA TK
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento View Post
Hi everyone,

So as to not cut into sightseeing time, I'd like to buy a one-way ticket from Porto to Lisbon in advance, for 24 October. Although I have read that Porto Campanhã to Lisbon Oriente is the most frequent routing, more convenient would certainly be São Bento to Santa Apolónia. What are your recommendations for this journey?

TIA,
BmB
Essentially you'll be catching the same train from Campanha: the Sao Bento leg is just a short connection on a local train. The long distance train (OK, not all of the trains) will go through to Santa Apolonia from Oriente.

I guess Santa Apolonia/Oriente depends where you want to get to in Lisbon. Both are on the metro, but different lines, so you might want to consult the metro map. Oriente is the place to hop off if you want to get to the regional line that goes through Roma and Entrecampos to Sintra. All Porto and Lisbon rail stations are, I think, covered by the same fare.

Get on the website and book as early as possible and you could find some excellent ticket prices.
Old Oct 10, 18, 8:48 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Original Poster

Programs: Metro-North Rubbish, Keisei Skinflint, KCR Headphones, Kopaja Platinum
Originally Posted by IAN-UK View Post
Essentially you'll be catching the same train from Campanha: the Sao Bento leg is just a short connection on a local train. The long distance train (OK, not all of the trains) will go through to Santa Apolonia from Oriente.

I guess Santa Apolonia/Oriente depends where you want to get to in Lisbon. Both are on the metro, but different lines, so you might want to consult the metro map. Oriente is the place to hop off if you want to get to the regional line that goes through Roma and Entrecampos to Sintra. All Porto and Lisbon rail stations are, I think, covered by the same fare.

Get on the website and book as early as possible and you could find some excellent ticket prices.
Appreciate your reply, IAN-UK.

Indeed, I scoured the metro maps beforehand, and found that Bento and Apolonia are the two best ones. Would you recommend cp.pt (as a site to buy the tickets), or another one?
Old Oct 10, 18, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton IHG LH BA TK
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento View Post
Appreciate your reply, IAN-UK.

Indeed, I scoured the metro maps beforehand, and found that Bento and Apolonia are the two best ones. Would you recommend cp.pt (as a site to buy the tickets), or another one?
The CP site is pretty straightforward. It's the only on I've ever used: to be honest, I didn't know there were any others.

Santa Apolonia (named for the patron saint of dentists ) is the end of the line, the oldest Lisbon rail terminus. It was taken over in importance by the Oriente station which opened in 1998 for the Lisbon Expo, two stops out of the city from Santa Apolonia.
Old Oct 11, 18, 7:40 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Book an advance ticket on cp.pt. They will send the ticket as an SMS to your phone. You show that to the inspector. You can choose your seat online. First Class (for more space) is normally available for a very reasonable price. It's very straightforward. I would carry on to S.Apolonia for central Lisbon (it has the metro too), Oriente is miles away. Unless you can get a train that is heading down to the Algarve and get off at Entrecampos.
Old Oct 16, 18, 5:45 am

Programs: A3*G, EY Silver
Buy your ticket from Campanhã to Oriente and if the train continues to Santa Apolónia, then stay on it - your ticket covers it. If it doesn't then switch to a local train if available or take the metro or an uber.

In Porto, the local train timings Porto S. Bento to Campanhã are not always ideal, and leave you with either too much or too little time at Campanhã to change trains. Taking an uber or metro may be wiser, depending on the time of day.

Search this Thread