FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Spain/Portugal/Gibraltar (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/spain-portugal-gibraltar-713/)
-   -   Not sure about late dinners? [Restaurants near Madrid Palace Westin] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/spain-portugal-gibraltar/1933405-not-sure-about-late-dinners-restaurants-near-madrid-palace-westin.html)

mphall Sep 25, 2018 9:01 am

Not sure about late dinners? [Restaurants near Madrid Palace Westin]

I am looking for suggestions for restaurants near this hotel or near the Prado. We like anything but would love a view. Any thoughts? Thank you.

TWA884 Sep 25, 2018 10:03 am

Originally Posted by mphall (Post 30243527)
I am looking for suggestions for restaurants near this hotel or near the Prado. We like anything but would love a view. Any thoughts? Thank you.

No view, but fabulous food and approximately a five minutes walk from the hotel.

TriCiclo (Michelin listing) is my favorite restaurant in Madrid.

If you're looking for more traditional fare, try LA CASTELA (Michelin listing). It is about a mile and a half from the hotel on the other side of Parque de El Retiro, about a ten minutes cab ride or a half hour walk.

Reservations are a must at both.

pbiflyer Sep 29, 2018 11:51 am

While not great food, there are two stands in Retiro park next to the water, Las Estatuas and Bar Mirador . Spectacular views and people watching.
We were there in January with light coats, so anytime is a good time there.

mphall Oct 1, 2018 2:58 pm

Not sure about late dinners?

I am not a fan of eating late dinners but I understand that Spain likes to do this. Are there suggested places to go an get tapas for dinner. We are staying near the Prado. Thank you.

Ldnn1 Oct 1, 2018 3:44 pm

Is your question about timing, or about good places for tapas?

mphall Oct 1, 2018 3:56 pm

Yes. Good tapas places. A view perhaps!

catcher1 Oct 1, 2018 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by mphall (Post 30267790)
I am not a fan of eating late dinners but I understand that Spain likes to do this. Are there suggested places to go an get tapas for dinner. We are staying near the Prado. Thank you.

You'll be just a few blocks from the Plaza de Santa Ana. Great for people watching from outdoor restaurants flanking the square, with food any time of day. A guaranteed delight.

Jimgotkp Oct 2, 2018 2:26 am

IME, most of the restaurants that cater to tourists are either open from 12PM-12AM or from 12PM-3PM/6PM-12AM. The better restaurants are usually open for 8PM-1AM, this includes the tapas joints as well.

JFSV Oct 2, 2018 2:48 am

There are a couple of nice ones in Calle Jesus (close to the Westin Palace hotel).

lhrsfo Oct 7, 2018 8:43 pm

Going anywhere early guarantees you will be dining exclusively with other tourists, and mostly American ones.

ESpen36 Oct 10, 2018 12:23 pm

Spaniards seldom have dinner before 9pm, and even 10pm is on the early side for some. (but, the next morning they do not have a big, hearty American breakfast....instead, usually just a quick coffee and croissant)