FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Spain/Portugal/Gibraltar (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/spain-portugal-gibraltar-713/)
-   -   Bilbao for 3 days in February (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/spain-portugal-gibraltar/1933211-bilbao-3-days-february.html)

PsiFighter37 Sep 30, 2018 10:19 am

Bilbao for 3 days in February

The wife and I are finally making our way to Bilbao, which is a city (and region of Spain) that we've wanted to visit for a long time. I know the weather won't be that great at this time of year (although you never know), but wanted to get thoughts on hotels, spots to eat at, and what to do with our time in the city. I would also be curious if folks think that amount of time is worth venturing over to San Sebastien, or if we should save that for another visit.

Additionally - what is early-morning transportation to BIO like? Just curious, as we had one trip (to Florence) where we nearly missed our flight because the cabs were striking to protest Uber. I know it's a different country, etc., but would like to be well-prepared to avoid any early-morning surprises again. :)

brp Jan 16, 2019 8:50 am

Adding on to this thread as we're going for 3 days in January (leaving tomorrow, so probably should have come here sooner :)). We're staying at the Grand Hotel Domine (with a Guggenheim view) on AA miles. We have tickets for the museum. The rest is game-time decision, so recommendations are welcome.

One question:

We plan to take public transport (A3247 bus) from the airport to the city. On the return, the first bus leaves at 5:25AM (per the timetable). With a 6:45AM flight, I'm going to say that that's probably a bad idea (unless there are experiences that indicate that the trip and securoty will be fast on a Tuesday morning at that hour).

Cheers.

spainlover Jan 17, 2019 7:11 am

I would recommend going to San Sebastian. it's just over an hour and such an awesome city, so beautiful. I've never taken the bus to the airport in Bilbao (I actually haven't been to the airport as I arrived via bus from San Sebastian), but that seems awfully tight. No room for error/delays.

brp Jan 17, 2019 7:52 am

Thanks. San Sebastian was something we were looking at doing, and this recommendation raises it in consideration.

As to transport, we will take the bus in from the airport as we arrive at 19:00, and no time constraint. At 1.14 (with Barik card) it's a no-brainer. For the return, my cheapness gene is battling with my practicality gene but, in the end, we'll take a taxi or equivalent for like 20 or so.

Cheers.

spainlover Jan 19, 2019 1:12 am

Have a great time! Absolutely, bus into the city sounds like a great plan. On the way back, I hear you on saving money, but a cab is a better bet to avoid possibly missing flight if bus isn’t right on time.
If you should end up renting a car for the day to do San Sebastián, you might consider stopping at San Juan de Gaztelugatxe - google it for pics, gorgeous! Or if there’s easy public transport, but I don’t know the options.

brp Jan 19, 2019 3:56 am

Originally Posted by spainlover (Post 30673736)
Have a great time! Absolutely, bus into the city sounds like a great plan. On the way back, I hear you on saving money, but a cab is a better bet to avoid possibly missing flight if bus isn’t right on time.
If you should end up renting a car for the day to do San Sebastián, you might consider stopping at San Juan de Gaztelugatxe - google it for pics, gorgeous! Or if there’s easy public transport, but I don’t know the options.

thanks. I actually don’t really care that much about saving money. I’m just inherently cheap by nature.

Bus into the city was very easy? And Barik card is the way to go. We will certainly take the taxi back.

i hope we will have time to make it to San Sebastián.

Cheets.