Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Spain/Portugal/Gibraltar
Reload this Page >

embossed credit card required for dollar car rental at PMI?

Old Aug 14, 18, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: hyatt gold passport, united mileage explorer

i was planning on using my CSP for the rental car preotection but i just realized my confirmation email says that the cc i use to leave the deposit hold on (prepaid the reservation) must have embossed numbers. does anybody know if this is legitimate or they are pretty lax with this rule?
Old Aug 14, 18, 2:15 pm

Programs: A3*G, EY Silver
It depends on the rental agency. Send them an email and inquire.
Old Aug 14, 18, 4:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, CX Silver, LY TL, Marriot G
I have seen this in some places in Europe, where they still use a manual credit card reader and call the transaction /hold in by phone. Increasingly rare though. Happened to me on one of the smaller Greek Islands last year
Old Aug 15, 18, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: hyatt gold passport, united mileage explorer
tried emailing, no answer. thanks for your replies!
Old Aug 16, 18, 6:50 am

Did they change the cards? The last metal Chase card I had still had embossed numbers, although they were smaller and on the back. They'll imprint on a manual card reader. You can get Chase to send you a plastic one for free, though. I did that after my metal CSR got stuck in a gas pump and my account seems to be flagged so that now I always get plastic without asking.

At any rate, that language is definitely boilerplate--it's been in nearly every rental agreement I've had in Europe. Most rental locations don't actually care because they place their hold electronically, but the parent company includes the language for the benefit of the few locations still using a "knuckle-buster" for cards.

Search this Thread