Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Spain/Portugal/Gibraltar
Reload this Page >

Itinerary Plan Lisbon to Porto - With Seniors who cannot walk too much

Old Jul 29, 18, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

We are taking my parents on a trip to Portugal - flying into Lisbon, and flying out of Porto. They love seeing new countries and chose Portugal - however, I am now trying to work out an itinerary where we can see the country/sights with limited walking. They have, of course, said they will happily sit and wait at places so we can go off and do our own sightseeing - but at the end of the day, I still do not want to limit activities so that we are spending time together.

Here is the plan:

Sat -Fly Into Lisbon from Madrid around 10am. Do the HOHO.
Sun - rent car, then day trip - need suggestions on where we should go. Sintra is an option or Evora. Trying to figure out where we should go, to see scenery, history - without requiring a lot of walking.
Mon - Check out, drive to Aviero - make that our base - and then drive to Coimbra for a day tour.
Tues- Spend in Aviero, maybe driving around, local sightseeing. Eating local food.
Wed - Drive to Porto. Sightseeing in Porto
Thurs - Day trip to ?
Friday - Douro River Cruise
Sat - Morning flight to Madrid.

What are your thoughts on this itinerary? Nothing is finalized except for flights in and out of Portugal so open to suggestions.

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply

D
Old Jul 30, 18, 8:01 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold, AA Platinum
Am I reading the itinerary correctly, that you're only spending half a day in Lisbon? It's a fantastic city, and probably deserves at least a couple full days.

A note on Sintra...it's a great day trip, but if your parents have trouble walking, it may not be the best. You can take the train out from Lisbon, which lets you off right next to the bus that circles around to about half the castles/sights. However, at each one, there's a lot of walking involved, and still a lot of hills. I remember the walk to and inside the Moorish castle, in particular, as extensive. I don't believe renting a car would be any better than taking the bus around, although it may save you a bit of money with 4 people. I mentioned the bus only because that's what I did, so I'm not really familiar with the parking there or if that would require even more walking for your parents.
Desirees likes this.
Old Aug 1, 18, 10:44 pm

Programs: CO OnePass; AAdvantage Dirt; IHG Priority Club Plat; Hyatt Plat; Marriott Gold; Avis PresPref;
Both Lisbon and Porto will present some challenges as the hills are estimable, even with a HOHO there will be considerable walking. Build in considerable extra time for breaks. If you do not already have the uber app, strongly suggest you get it and use it liberally.
Desirees likes this.
Old Aug 1, 18, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton IHG LH BA TK
Driving and parking is an awful hassle in and around Lisbon - and in any Portuguese city. If your parents have mobility difficulties, then Sintra isn't the best idea: even with a taxi or car there are slopes, steps and lots of walking. Evora's not easy for navigating and quite a hike for a novice day trip. It might be easier to take a trip by train to the beach resort and dormitory suburb of Cascais. Trains take 30+minutes and run every 20 minutes or so. Lunch at some beach cafe or somewhere smart (like the Hotel Albatross) overlooking the sea.

Unless you have ties with the place, I don't really get Aveiro as a base. It's probably easier all round to take the train to Coimbra, overnight there, then resume the train journey the next day to Porto.

Of course, a car can be a great convenience, and there are delightful places on the coast - and inland - as you move north from Lisbon. Perhaps you are trying to pack too much into a week, though i understand the urge to see the lot...
Old Aug 14, 18, 4:17 am

Programs: continental united starwood hilton marriott
How about a river cruise? Just took one with a group of senior citizens with their grandkids (arranged thru Road Scholar) was exactly what you are looking for.
If not interested in using them, check itinerary and use that as a guide
Desirees likes this.
Old Aug 14, 18, 10:04 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
I would recommend a stop at Fatima. Even if you are not catholic or if you are not devout the place is inspiring. The area is flat and the church is very close to the city center. Not so much touristy as a place of pilgrimage.
Desirees and BamaVol like this.
Old Aug 15, 18, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton IHG LH BA TK
Originally Posted by keisari View Post
.....Not so much touristy as a place of pilgrimage.
I suppose it's all in the eye of the beholder.

The place must have its spiritual side, but I've yet to break through the awfulness of the commercial roadshow that swamps the town. More tourist tat for sale than I'd expect to see in a rust-belt theme park.
Old Aug 20, 18, 7:07 pm

Programs: CO OnePass; AAdvantage Dirt; IHG Priority Club Plat; Hyatt Plat; Marriott Gold; Avis PresPref;
Just back from another Lisbon/Porto trip and again impressed with the hilliness of both Lisbon and Porto. Thanks to uber my mobility impaired companion got to see plenty, and I reiterate the recommendation to have an account set up prior to your travel. Sintra is definitely a no go for anyone with limited mobility, but Cascais may be a pleasant visit. We never waited more than 5 minutes for a ride and all were pleasant.
If you decide to do the HOHO bus, the Red Bus seems to be more frequent than the rival Yellow Bus.
Most museums have an elevator though it my not be apparent and you may need to ask for it.
Enjoy!
Old Aug 21, 18, 7:43 am

Programs: BD the last decent FFP
Originally Posted by Desirees View Post
Here is the plan:

Sat -Fly Into Lisbon from Madrid around 10am. Do the HOHO.
Sun - rent car, then day trip - need suggestions on where we should go. Sintra is an option or Evora. Trying to figure out where we should go, to see scenery, history - without requiring a lot of walking.
Mon - Check out, drive to Aviero - make that our base - and then drive to Coimbra for a day tour.
Tues- Spend in Aviero, maybe driving around, local sightseeing. Eating local food.
Wed - Drive to Porto. Sightseeing in Porto
Thurs - Day trip to ?
Friday - Douro River Cruise
Sat - Morning flight to Madrid.

What are your thoughts on this itinerary? Nothing is finalized except for flights in and out of Portugal so open to suggestions.

[...]
give it one more day to Lisbon (you can cut the Thursday which you have not scheduled yet).
Do the HOHO one day (just visiting Jeronimos + Natas café , Belem tower and Descoveries monument is 3h easy at slow pace)
Another day take an electric Tuktuk from Praça da Figueira and ask for the hilltops tour (I did last year and there are amazing views from these), it's mostly out of the HOHO path, and this gets you into the old corners of town which are gorgeous.
For the day trip from Lisbon you can do Sintra in the morning (visit the Palace and maybe a trip to Cabo da Roca - Western most point in continental Europe) and on the way back go through Cascais and Estoril which are nice to have a quick stroll and enjoy the ocean.
Aveiro is a great and I recommend it (i'm from around so extremely biased :-) )
However you don't need it as base. Just go 1 night to Coimbra, then 1 night in Aveiro and then Porto (being based in Aveiro the backtracking to Coimbra is not worth it)
For the day in Aveiro besides the old town and a canal boat tour you can go to the beaches in an afternoon:
Praia da Barra(8 minutes drive from Aveiro):
Lighthouse
tallest in Portugal (open Wednesday afternoon as of 14h45 for visits, 4 groups can go up at 30 min intervals)
Walk along the canal near the lighthouse (goes all the way to the entrance of the lagoon).At the entrance of the lagoon on the fields on the right you can see the old codfish drying location (those codfish brought from Canada)
Have an ice cream in Sherbet (amazing flavors).
Visit Tribo do Sol for some cool beachwear and a huge sands collection from all over the world
Churrascao restaurant if you need food here (local food, grilled squid is my highlight. fish of the day usually pretty good as well)

Barba Azul sushi restaurant

Just enjoy one the 4 beach bars.
Costa Nova (3 minutes drive from Praia da Barra):
Go here to enjoy the old stripped houses
Have a nata in the Atlantida Café (in the middle of the houses)
Enjoy a quick stroll along the Ria
Go to the beach (super white sandy beach) If you want to eat here, Marisqueira da Costa Nova (Clams – ameijoas ‘a bulhao pato or any fish of the day) is probably the best.
These 2 beach places are fairly small, so the walking is easy.

I agree with others if walking for your parents is a big burden skip Sintra
Desirees and flatdawgs like this.

Last edited by GBM.flights; Aug 21, 18 at 9:16 am

Search this Thread