Yet Another Itinerary Thread

Old Jul 22, 18, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Yet Another Itinerary Thread

I'm heading to Spain for 2.5 weeks in October/November. Here's what I'm working on so far:
  • Madrid, two days with a side trip to Toledo
  • Seville, 3 days
  • Granada, 2 days stopping in Cordoba on the way from Seville
  • Two days walking through Las Alpujarras
  • Barcelona, 4 days
  • San Sebastian, 1 day
  • Bilbao, 1 day (flying out of Bilbao)

So far I've only booked my outbound flight to MAD. Haven't booked the return so I could fly out of a different airport if I change that itinerary. I'm planning on doing everything by train except the GRX-BCN leg.

I may demote Las Alpujarras to a day trip from Granada in order to spend an extra day in that city. I was hoping to stash my suitcase in Granada and walk from Pamponeira through Bubion to Capileira one day, spend the night, then walk to Trevelez the next day and return by evening bus to Granada. I may just do a day trip, walking up one valley then taking a bus back that evening.

Thoughts?
Old Jul 22, 18, 2:43 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
With the exception of Las Alpujarras, I've been to all the places on your itinerary.

In my opinion, Madrid deserves more than a day (assuming that the side trip to Toledo is included in that day count), it has fabulous museums, a spectacular royal palace and great parks and monuments. Two days are probably sufficient for Sevilla during a trip in which you are visiting eight cities in the course of just over two week. Can't tell if your two days in Granada include the stop in Cordoba; it takes a full day to properly explore the Alhambra, and there is a lot more to see. San Sebastian is a very picturesque beach resort, although it was rainy, cold (50's) and windy when I was there last month, but if you are not a foodie - great pintxo bars and more Michelin stars per capita than any other place in the world - I'd spend that day elsewhere; perhaps make Bilbao a two days stop instead of one, there are the Guggenheim Museum, the riverwalk and the old town (Casco Viejo).
Old Jul 23, 18, 4:05 am

Programs: A3*G, EY Silver
I would add a day for the Basque Country to be split between San Sebastian and Bilbao at the expense of a day in Barcelona.
Old Jul 25, 18, 12:48 am

Programs: Krisflyer Elite Gold, BAEC Bronze, Amex Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold
I agree with the above re: (i) increasing Madrid to 3 days; (ii) reducing Sevilla to 2 days; and (iii) reducing Barcelona to 3 days. That extra day you could add to e.g. San Sebastian or Madrid.
Old Jul 26, 18, 9:48 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all for the advice. For clarification, I wasn't counting the travel day through Cordoba towards either Seville or Granada.

The exact itinerary was this:

- DEN-CLT-MAD
- Arrive Madrid
- Madrid (side trip to Toledo)
- Madrid to Seville
- Seville
- Seville
- Seville to Granada via Cordoba
- Granada
- Granada
- Las Alpujarras
- Las Alpujarras, late flight to Barcelona
- Barcelona
- Barcelona
- Barcelona
- Barcelona
- Barcelona to San Sebastian
- San Sebastian
- San Sebastian to Bilbao
- BIO-MUC-DEN

I also planned on a day trip to Figueres during one of my Barcelona days. I'm still undecided on the night in Las Alpujarras. I may make that a day trip from Granada instead and use the extra day somewhere else (maybe just as a third day in Granada). I need to keep reading about that area and decide which villages are most interesting to me, that will probably dictate my decision.

As for San Sebastian, I'm going there entirely for the food (and vermouth!). My plan was the take the morning train from Barcelona, giving me a day and a half in SS, then a morning bus to Bilbao leaving most of a day there for the Guggenheim.

Since I plan on spending ~half my trip in Andalusia, I may not do the side trip to Toledo and instead spend that day in Madrid. Probably just wait and see how jetlagged I feel that morning (fortunately I'm flying J).
Old Jul 27, 18, 11:55 am

I think that's a great itinerary. Busy, but at least a couple nights most everywhere. Smart that you've got some extra time in Barcelona, as I could spend weeks there and never get tired of it.

On Toledo (and also Segovia, which you don't mention), as much as I love both cities, I think they warrant an overnight, as that really adds to the magic of both. I'm not sure I'd cut out time from Madrid and replace it with a day trip to either, especially your first day after landing. Tons to do in Madrid by itself.
Old Jul 28, 18, 9:12 am

Programs: A3*G, EY Silver
Madrid-Seville takes 2 hours 30 min, so that's not really a travel day. Same for - Seville to Granada via Cordoba. Reduce Barcelona, add one day for S. Sebastian and Bilbao.
TWA884 likes this.
Old Aug 2, 18, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Starwood Plat, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Silver
Just one comment. One of the best things about Spain is to just enjoy the pace of life. Sitting at an outdoor cafe or in a park, sipping a drink and watching the world go by is one of the things I enjoy most about Spain.
It doesn't seem like you have a lot of time for that. But make sure you do it.
Whether it is sitting drinking fresh squeezed orange juice (with maybe a splash of vodka) in Retiro park, drinking a beer beachside in Barcelona, a vino tinto along the river in Sevilla, make sure you take time to relax and enjoy the flow of life in Spain.
spainlover and catcher1 like this.
Old Sep 30, 18, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Update on this: thanks to those cheap *A Spain-US J fares that popped up yesterday I've now added a second trip to Spain.

I'm cutting Bilbao/San Sebastian from this trip and adding that time to Barcelona for five whole days there, flying out of BCN. Then in February I'm returning for a week in the Basque Country, flying into BIO and out of EAS. I'll definitely spend time in Bilbao and San Sebastian, but I'll need to decide if I head south into La Rioja or perhaps east across the border for a few days in Pays Basque—I've been reading good things about St-Jean-de-Luz.
Old Sep 30, 18, 4:57 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by txflyer77 View Post
Update on this: thanks to those cheap *A Spain-US J fares that popped up yesterday I've now added a second trip to Spain.

I'm cutting Bilbao/San Sebastian from this trip and adding that time to Barcelona for five whole days there, flying out of BCN. Then in February I'm returning for a week in the Basque Country, flying into BIO and out of EAS. I'll definitely spend time in Bilbao and San Sebastian, but I'll need to decide if I head south into La Rioja or perhaps east across the border for a few days in Pays Basque—I've been reading good things about St-Jean-de-Luz.
A couple of other suggestions for when you are in that region: Vitoria-Gasteiz (read up in Wikipedia for a start), and coastal towns along the northern coast (e.g., Santillana del Mar--Altamira caves, Santander).

Search this Thread