Wiki Posts
Search

Madrid neighborhood question

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2018, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
Madrid neighborhood question

Hi all, I am spending the weekend in Madrid as part of a work trip. For my dates, the Catalonia Grand Via and Catalonia Plaza Mayor are both available at a decent price. Can anyone comment on if one is a better hotel or location. IS the Plaza Mayor hotel super touristy, or just in the neighborhood of the Plaza... Any tips welcome. I've looked for places in some more local neighborhoods, but interesting places are booked already. It's for this weekend....
Old Jul 2, 2018, 2:38 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by 1k-all-the-way
IS the Plaza Mayor hotel super touristy, or just in the neighborhood of the Plaza...
The Catalonia Plaza Mayor is not in the immediate vicinity of Plaza Mayor. It is located on Calle de Atocha, a major thoroughfare, about two thirds of the way between the Atocha railway station and Plaza Mayor.

Both hotels are within convenient walking distance to the major art museums, Prado, Thyssen and Reina Sofia, and Parque de El Retiro.
1k-all-the-way likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 7:03 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by TWA884
The Catalonia Plaza Mayor is not in the immediate vicinity of Plaza Mayor. It is located on Calle de Atocha, a major thoroughfare, about two thirds of the way between the Atocha railway station and Plaza Mayor.

Both hotels are within convenient walking distance to the major art museums, Prado, Thyssen and Reina Sofia, and Parque de El Retiro.
They can be pricey, but the Palace and the Ritz are excellent and have great location. It is said that if you stay at the Palace there's a good chance you'll meet somebody you know. And it happened to me!!
Old Jul 2, 2018, 7:29 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by catcher1
They can be pricey, but the Palace and the Ritz are excellent and have great location. It is said that if you stay at the Palace there's a good chance you'll meet somebody you know. And it happened to me!!
I just stayed at the Palace hotel in June.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 1:23 am

In meantime I tried as well several Hotels in Madrid.

The worst (up to now) was the Marriott Courtyard Princesa. When I stayed there the 1st time some years ago almost the complete team was on strike. Furthermore they have many tourist groups and you can have a lot of traffic noise if your room is facing the street. Basic price rooms are not renovated yet (they bathroom anyway not).

The Marriott Auditorium at the Aiport is qute nice (with nice Executive Lounge) but its too fare away from everything. I would only take it if you want to say a night before or after a flight.

Some weeks ago I stayed in the Indigo GranVia. Small rooms but very nice breakfast. Almost no noise from the streets but currently they have some construction in the building next to the Hotel ongoing. However the Roof Top Bar is Excellent and open for everybody :-) You can reach most of the points (SOL, Palace Real ...) by walking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.