FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Spain/Portugal/Gibraltar (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/spain-portugal-gibraltar-713/)
-   -   Madrid neighborhood question (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/spain-portugal-gibraltar/1917709-madrid-neighborhood-question.html)

1k-all-the-way Jul 2, 2018 12:08 pm

Madrid neighborhood question

Hi all, I am spending the weekend in Madrid as part of a work trip. For my dates, the Catalonia Grand Via and Catalonia Plaza Mayor are both available at a decent price. Can anyone comment on if one is a better hotel or location. IS the Plaza Mayor hotel super touristy, or just in the neighborhood of the Plaza... Any tips welcome. I've looked for places in some more local neighborhoods, but interesting places are booked already. It's for this weekend....

TWA884 Jul 2, 2018 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by 1k-all-the-way (Post 29929806)
IS the Plaza Mayor hotel super touristy, or just in the neighborhood of the Plaza...

The Catalonia Plaza Mayor is not in the immediate vicinity of Plaza Mayor. It is located on Calle de Atocha, a major thoroughfare, about two thirds of the way between the Atocha railway station and Plaza Mayor.

Both hotels are within convenient walking distance to the major art museums, Prado, Thyssen and Reina Sofia, and Parque de El Retiro.

catcher1 Jul 2, 2018 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884 (Post 29930336)
The Catalonia Plaza Mayor is not in the immediate vicinity of Plaza Mayor. It is located on Calle de Atocha, a major thoroughfare, about two thirds of the way between the Atocha railway station and Plaza Mayor.

Both hotels are within convenient walking distance to the major art museums, Prado, Thyssen and Reina Sofia, and Parque de El Retiro.

They can be pricey, but the Palace and the Ritz are excellent and have great location. It is said that if you stay at the Palace there's a good chance you'll meet somebody you know. And it happened to me!!

TWA884 Jul 2, 2018 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by catcher1 (Post 29931169)
They can be pricey, but the Palace and the Ritz are excellent and have great location. It is said that if you stay at the Palace there's a good chance you'll meet somebody you know. And it happened to me!!

I just stayed at the Palace hotel in June. :)

GT80 Jul 7, 2018 1:23 am

In meantime I tried as well several Hotels in Madrid.

The worst (up to now) was the Marriott Courtyard Princesa. When I stayed there the 1st time some years ago almost the complete team was on strike. Furthermore they have many tourist groups and you can have a lot of traffic noise if your room is facing the street. Basic price rooms are not renovated yet (they bathroom anyway not).

The Marriott Auditorium at the Aiport is qute nice (with nice Executive Lounge) but its too fare away from everything. I would only take it if you want to say a night before or after a flight.

Some weeks ago I stayed in the Indigo GranVia. Small rooms but very nice breakfast. Almost no noise from the streets but currently they have some construction in the building next to the Hotel ongoing. However the Roof Top Bar is Excellent and open for everybody :-) You can reach most of the points (SOL, Palace Real ...) by walking.