Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lisbon (LIS) connection - consolidated thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2012, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Lisbon (LIS) connection - consolidated thread

Do I need a Schengen visa for connection in Lisbon airport for overnight? The time between arrival and depart is less then 23 hours. I have Russian passport. I am not going to leave the airport
Thank you!

Last edited by DmitrySh; Dec 15, 2012 at 2:51 pm
Old Dec 16, 2012, 12:52 am

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
If you are not going to leave the airport and are staying airside in the ex-Schengen area, you will not need a visa and will not even meet a border officer. Be advised that the ex-Schengen section of LIS, although the newest part of the terminal, is pretty weak in terms of passenger services and amenities. It will be a tough 23 hours.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 3:26 am

Originally Posted by CaptainMiles
Be advised that the ex-Schengen section of LIS, although the newest part of the terminal, is pretty weak in terms of passenger services and amenities. It will be a tough 23 hours.
You are being friendly by calling it "Pretty weak". I would not want to spend 23 hours there. I think there is just one snack bar and a small gift shop.

Take a look at this map. The non-Schengen area is the part to the right of the "SEF immigration" icon (gates 41 and above).
Old Dec 20, 2012, 9:20 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Ой.... good luck is all I can say. No, you do not need a visa, and bring some food or something.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 6:52 am

I would totally try to get a VISA...
The weather is great and you'll have the chance to visit a bit of the city (the airport is very near to the city center)
Old Jan 5, 2013, 1:06 am

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by Koby
You are being friendly by calling it "Pretty weak". I would not want to spend 23 hours there. I think there is just one snack bar and a small gift shop.
I went through the LIS ex-Schengen zone this week. It is getting better, much better. They have added a duty-free shop of a reasonable size, a cafe/snack bar, a travel store, a clothing store, and kiosks with essential portuguese items (coffee, pastries, beer).
Old Jan 6, 2013, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by CaptainMiles
I went through the LIS ex-Schengen zone this week. It is getting better, much better. They have added a duty-free shop of a reasonable size, a cafe/snack bar, a travel store, a clothing store, and kiosks with essential portuguese items (coffee, pastries, beer).
Yea, it's better than a year ago, but how long those shops stay open is a good question.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 10:05 am

Help With Short Connection Time In LIS

I've been a lurker for a while and have not posted often, so hopefully this is in the correct forum.

I currently have an award flight (w/dividend miles) booked in September '14 from RAK-GVA-FCO on LX with a 4 hr layover in GVA. The timing isn't great and I've just found a TP flight with award space leaving at 5pm from RAK, landing at 6:25pm in LIS, with a connection (also on TP) at 7:20pm from LIS to FCO. The problem is that the connection time is 55 minutes, I have a US passport and I believe I'll have to pass through customs in LIS, leaving a very short window to catch the connecting flight to FCO.

My question is, assuming my flight is on time, does this 55 minute window allow me enough time to pass through customs in LIS and catch my connecting flight to FCO? Any knowledge would be greatly appreciated.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 12:43 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
I've made a short connection there and just so long as everything is on time, you should be fine. I honestly don't think twice about times to enter Schengen. I think the most I've taken is maybe 5 minutes from a seat at the rear of a plane. That said, on a Moroccan arrival, I would try to be toward the front since they may peruse the documents a bit more of the non EU line.

There's a separate security line that should go quickly as well.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 7:15 am

That time of the day, it's pretty calm at passport control. However as LupineChemist said, try to be at the front of the pack when you get there. Chances are you'll be bused in. First bus (are they using E145 on these or A320?), front door will get you there quickly.

You don't have to go through customs in LIS (just through passport control), but you will have to in FCO.
Old May 20, 2016, 12:59 pm

Lisbon connection

I dont know where to ask this so I will try here. We are flying from Newark to Malaga with a 1hour 20 min layover and plane change in Lisbon. Not having flown in or out of Lisbon, I was wondering if this was doable. I suspect we will have to clear customs and security, but the bags should be checked through. Any ideas?...Thanks for the help

Doug
Old May 20, 2016, 2:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
One ticket or two?

LIS has some long walks, including to baggage claim which seems to be in a different section of the terminal. Moreover, some stuff seems to be signposted to ensure that every passenger walks past every retail outlet.
Old May 20, 2016, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is this all 1 ticket/PNR? Or seperate PNR/tickets?
Airlines?
Class of travel? Airline status? Are you flying up the front of the aircraft (get off quicker)?
Passports from which country?
1:20 does not leave much margin for error
Old May 20, 2016, 5:31 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Moving thread to the Europe Forum.
Please follow there.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old May 21, 2016, 5:39 am

1:20 is pretty tight, but doable. In Lisbon, you will deplane, go through passport control, security, and then onto your onward flight.

At passport control there is a separate line for those with a short connection and non-EU/EEC passports (on the far right) and if there's a long queue (can happen when all early AM flights arrive at the same time), there's usually a staff member there helping people make their flights. Once you're through passport control, security is right there, and usually takes no more than 5 minutes. There are also TP staff there making sure people don't miss their connections.

Originally Posted by obscure2k
Moving thread to the Europe Forum.
Please follow there.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
This thread should be in the Spain/Portugal/Gibraltar forum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.