Lisbon connection

Old Jun 27, 18, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Lisbon connection

we are flying from Porto, Portugal to Lisbon on TAP and then need to transfer to United to US. We only have 1 hr 45 min...can we make this?
Old Jun 27, 18, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Welcome to FlyerTalk Walkerrph! We're going to move this thread to a forum where you are more likely to receive an answer. Have a pleasant flight.

Cholula
CommunityBuzz Co-Moderator
Old Jun 27, 18, 6:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by Walkerrph View Post
we are flying from Porto, Portugal to Lisbon on TAP and then need to transfer to United to US. We only have 1 hr 45 min...can we make this?
If both flights are on one PNR, your bags will be checked through and you will have absolutely no problem making this connection.
Old Jun 27, 18, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

Lisbon connection

Ticket from Porto to Lisbon on TAP is separate from ticket of Lisbon to US...travel agent really screwed up giving us correct info...figure we’ll be in same terminal but have to go get luggage, check in at UA and TSA, Passport could create problems with less than 2 hr timeframe
Old Jun 27, 18, 7:54 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Both TAP and United are Star Alliance airlines. When checking your bags in Oporto, ask to have them checked through to your final destination. If successful, that should take care of your problem, otherwise, you'd be getting awfully close to United's baggage check-in cut off in LIS.
Old Jun 27, 18, 8:16 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
If your OPO-LIS flight is on time, I think you could make the connection. But for some reason, in my experience, the Porto flights have a pretty poor on-time reliability. It very well could be my luck though.

If it's your first time, Lisbon airport can be a bit confusing to transfer in. And if TP doesn't check the bags through, you'll need to walk quickly because security and exit immigration can take a while.

So just hope they through check your bags (or travel with only carry-on) and you'll be fine
Old Jun 27, 18, 9:34 pm
Original Poster

Thx..I’ve tried to get answers from TAP and UA if we could check thru knowing their alliance members...get conflicting answers. We’ll be in Lisbon a couple of days before heading to Porto so will check when we land. Figured it could be tight if I can’t check bags thru...
Old Jun 28, 18, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
On separate tickets you should not expect the luggage to be tagged to the final destination. This means that you will need to exit and go landslide to retrieve your bags and recheck them. You will then go through security (there is no TSA in Portugal) and exit formalities. If your flight to Lisbon is late, there is a fair chance you’ll miss your United flight, meaning you’re on your own getting home. Bad travel agent!
JDiver and Yoshi212 like this.
Old Jun 28, 18, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, HH Silver
Thx..I’ve tried to get answers from TAP and UA if we could check thru knowing their alliance members...get conflicting answers. We’ll be in Lisbon a couple of days before heading to Porto so will check when we land. Figured it could be tight if I can’t check bags thru...
UA has a strick cut-off of check-in one hour before scheduled departure. In fact, 75 minutes before departure you'll see them starting to dismantle the check-in area (removing signs and ropes) and reducing staff, and by T-59 you won't find any staff there and will not be able to check-in. Getting bags and making it to UA check-in counter on time will be tough. Bad BAD travel agent. If there is more than one of you, you could send one person ahead to UA with passports and plead with UA to stay open a few minutes longer to wait for the person with bags to arrive. You will have better luck with this if you have status.

Are you on the EWR flight or the IAD flight?

As for inquiring in LIS what they will do in OPO a couple days later, it's pointless. No one can give you any guarantee of what they will do at OPO. And at OPO you won't be able to say "but but but, José at LIS told me you would check the bags through". Nothing you can do at LIS will change that.

If you want to make good use of your time when you are at LIS airport, practice the walk route from baggage exit to the UA check-in counter. Locate the UA counters (they're always the same). Will you have bulky luggage? Locate the right elevator and know what button to press. That will save precious minutes when the time comes. Last thing you want it to be scrambling for the right elevator, or getting on the escalator to the wrong level.

One thing you have going for you is that your LIS-US itinerary starts with UA. Therefore, you should be able to check-in online on the UA app. If you check-in to your UA flight before checking in with TP at OPO, you will be able to show the TP check-in agent your UA boarding passes, and I suspect that will increase your chances of getting the bags checked through. If you don't have a UA BP the agent may say that you need to exit and go to UA anyway, so won't feel as compelled to check bags through.

Also, bring a printed copy of your UA e-ticket receipt, where it shows the free baggage allowance. If your bags exceed the free allowance, there is pretty much zero chance that the OPO agent will check the bags through. But if your bags are free, you should be prepared to prove that.
Old Jun 28, 18, 9:33 pm

Programs: A3*G, EY Silver
TP will NOT check your bags through to UA. They do not do anything that the system does not spit out automatically.
If I were you, since OPO-LIS is on a different PNR, I'd forget it and take the train from Porto to Lisbon, grab a taxi at Oriente and head to the airport (5-7 min, 5-7€ ride). Door-to-door it'll be faster than the flight and more reliable.

Bags at LIS can take up to an hour to come out (though 30 mins is usually the minimum), so even if everything is on time, you're cutting it super close (60 min cut-off with UA).

Last edited by Palal; Jul 2, 18 at 4:40 pm
Old Jun 28, 18, 10:58 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
It’s your travel agent’s responsibility - put it on them to get you on an earlier flight (or cancel and get a partial refund, ride the train and Taxi as Palal suggests). LIS Portela or Delgado is not the most efficient Airport; if your arriving flight from OPO is late and the baggage delivery is slow, you’re toast for that day’s flights to the USA. I’ve been through there about annually for a while now.
Old Jun 29, 18, 3:24 am

Programs: *G
you'll never get guarantees on this. you'll only find out with certainty... at the check-in desk. hope for the best and expect the worst.

anecdoctally, i've never been turned down on this request, even across alliances. that said, i haven't tried often either.

this month i got my bags checked-through from swiss longhaul over to air france shorthaul, with a 9 hour layover.
both were on completely separate reservations.
not only was the bag interlined, but swiss outstation in DAR even issued my AF boarding pass (on their stock, of course!). the AF flight was also code-shared and sold by the LH/LX/OS group so that was probably why.
Old Jun 29, 18, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Clarification: if using only carry on luggage from flying from Oporto to Lisbon...to make conect to US on UA. and go directly to UA gate...it’s possible that UA closes the gate check-in 1 hour (or more) before the plane is to leave..so do we have to be at gate 1 hour before flight departure...
Old Jun 29, 18, 4:24 pm

Clarification: if using only carry on luggage from flying from Oporto to Lisbon...to make conect to US on UA. and go directly to UA gate...it’s possible that UA closes the gate check-in 1 hour (or more) before the plane is to leave..so do we have to be at gate 1 hour before flight departure...
If you can check in online with UA, you will have BPs and can even transfer airside without clearing security. If you cannot check in online, you may be able to get BP's at the transfer desk at LIS, all airside without clearing security. This is much more doable (although not guaranteed) then with checked luggage.

The check-in counter closes at T-60, but the gate typically only closes at T-15.
Flying Machine likes this.

Last edited by CaptainMiles; Jun 29, 18 at 4:26 pm Reason: Add cut-off times
Old Jun 30, 18, 7:48 pm

Programs: CO OnePass; AAdvantage Dirt; IHG Priority Club Plat; Hyatt Plat; Marriott Gold; Avis PresPref;
Since this is your return flight you will have already had your passport info scanned into the system so should be able to do online check-in with UA. If you don't already have the UA app on your mobile phone, get it and do OLCI 24 hours before departure. You need to be at the gate in LIS NLT 30 min before scheduled departure, which should be doable with only carry on luggage. (That said, I'd agree with the suggestion to take the train)

Search this Thread