Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lisbon (LIS) connection - consolidated thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2018, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by Walkerrph
Thx..I’ve tried to get answers from TAP and UA if we could check thru knowing their alliance members...get conflicting answers. We’ll be in Lisbon a couple of days before heading to Porto so will check when we land. Figured it could be tight if I can’t check bags thru...
UA has a strick cut-off of check-in one hour before scheduled departure. In fact, 75 minutes before departure you'll see them starting to dismantle the check-in area (removing signs and ropes) and reducing staff, and by T-59 you won't find any staff there and will not be able to check-in. Getting bags and making it to UA check-in counter on time will be tough. Bad BAD travel agent. If there is more than one of you, you could send one person ahead to UA with passports and plead with UA to stay open a few minutes longer to wait for the person with bags to arrive. You will have better luck with this if you have status.

Are you on the EWR flight or the IAD flight?

As for inquiring in LIS what they will do in OPO a couple days later, it's pointless. No one can give you any guarantee of what they will do at OPO. And at OPO you won't be able to say "but but but, José at LIS told me you would check the bags through". Nothing you can do at LIS will change that.

If you want to make good use of your time when you are at LIS airport, practice the walk route from baggage exit to the UA check-in counter. Locate the UA counters (they're always the same). Will you have bulky luggage? Locate the right elevator and know what button to press. That will save precious minutes when the time comes. Last thing you want it to be scrambling for the right elevator, or getting on the escalator to the wrong level.

One thing you have going for you is that your LIS-US itinerary starts with UA. Therefore, you should be able to check-in online on the UA app. If you check-in to your UA flight before checking in with TP at OPO, you will be able to show the TP check-in agent your UA boarding passes, and I suspect that will increase your chances of getting the bags checked through. If you don't have a UA BP the agent may say that you need to exit and go to UA anyway, so won't feel as compelled to check bags through.

Also, bring a printed copy of your UA e-ticket receipt, where it shows the free baggage allowance. If your bags exceed the free allowance, there is pretty much zero chance that the OPO agent will check the bags through. But if your bags are free, you should be prepared to prove that.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 9:33 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
TP will NOT check your bags through to UA. They do not do anything that the system does not spit out automatically.
If I were you, since OPO-LIS is on a different PNR, I'd forget it and take the train from Porto to Lisbon, grab a taxi at Oriente and head to the airport (5-7 min, 5-7€ ride). Door-to-door it'll be faster than the flight and more reliable.

Bags at LIS can take up to an hour to come out (though 30 mins is usually the minimum), so even if everything is on time, you're cutting it super close (60 min cut-off with UA).

Last edited by Palal; Jul 2, 2018 at 4:40 pm
Old Jun 28, 2018, 10:58 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
It’s your travel agent’s responsibility - put it on them to get you on an earlier flight (or cancel and get a partial refund, ride the train and Taxi as Palal suggests). LIS Portela or Delgado is not the most efficient Airport; if your arriving flight from OPO is late and the baggage delivery is slow, you’re toast for that day’s flights to the USA. I’ve been through there about annually for a while now.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 3:24 am

Programs: *G
Thx..I’ve tried to get answers from TAP and UA if we could check thru knowing their alliance members...get conflicting answers. We’ll be in Lisbon a couple of days before heading to Porto so will check when we land. Figured it could be tight if I can’t check bags thru...
you'll never get guarantees on this. you'll only find out with certainty... at the check-in desk. hope for the best and expect the worst.

anecdoctally, i've never been turned down on this request, even across alliances. that said, i haven't tried often either.

this month i got my bags checked-through from swiss longhaul over to air france shorthaul, with a 9 hour layover.
both were on completely separate reservations.
not only was the bag interlined, but swiss outstation in DAR even issued my AF boarding pass (on their stock, of course!). the AF flight was also code-shared and sold by the LH/LX/OS group so that was probably why.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 11:21 am

Clarification: if using only carry on luggage from flying from Oporto to Lisbon...to make conect to US on UA. and go directly to UA gate...it’s possible that UA closes the gate check-in 1 hour (or more) before the plane is to leave..so do we have to be at gate 1 hour before flight departure...
Old Jun 29, 2018, 4:24 pm

Clarification: if using only carry on luggage from flying from Oporto to Lisbon...to make conect to US on UA. and go directly to UA gate...it’s possible that UA closes the gate check-in 1 hour (or more) before the plane is to leave..so do we have to be at gate 1 hour before flight departure...
If you can check in online with UA, you will have BPs and can even transfer airside without clearing security. If you cannot check in online, you may be able to get BP's at the transfer desk at LIS, all airside without clearing security. This is much more doable (although not guaranteed) then with checked luggage.

The check-in counter closes at T-60, but the gate typically only closes at T-15.
Flying Machine likes this.

Last edited by CaptainMiles; Jun 29, 2018 at 4:26 pm Reason: Add cut-off times
Old Jun 30, 2018, 7:48 pm

Programs: CO OnePass; AAdvantage Dirt; IHG Priority Club Plat; Hyatt Plat; Marriott Gold; Avis PresPref;
Since this is your return flight you will have already had your passport info scanned into the system so should be able to do online check-in with UA. If you don't already have the UA app on your mobile phone, get it and do OLCI 24 hours before departure. You need to be at the gate in LIS NLT 30 min before scheduled departure, which should be doable with only carry on luggage. (That said, I'd agree with the suggestion to take the train)
Old Jul 1, 2018, 4:33 pm

Lisbon can be a mess with 1 hour+ lines for security/immigration so I would not chance it. Fly earlier or take the train
Old Jul 1, 2018, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by CaptainMiles
If you can check in online with UA, you will have BPs and can even transfer airside without clearing security. If you cannot check in online, you may be able to get BP's at the transfer desk at LIS, all airside without clearing security. This is much more doable (although not guaranteed) then with checked luggage.

The check-in counter closes at T-60, but the gate typically only closes at T-15.
I flew LIS – EWR on UA a few weeks back. I originated in LIS and the United check-in was jammed. Luckily I let the agent at the front area near the kiosks know I
was platinum and the sea parted. He walked me up to a premier check in agent whom took my passport and got my boarding passes while I spoke to the woman with the iPad asking me security questions and she stickered my passport . They even gave me Greenlane security which wasn't that bad.. I then went to the tap lounge for awhile before boarding, then going through passport control took a few moments so it wasn't that bad . Otherwise it can be a total drag. At the United gate area they swept the whole seating area free from those whom congregated in advance by security personnel about an hour before Boarding as the gate information did not come up on the tote boards until about an hour and some minutes prior to departure. So the early ones who had the app and new the gate had to leave.They had a manifest and line set up after the security sweep and I guess some people needed to have a luggage inspection. The gate agents working the desk at the gate were simply fantastic and there was even a global services representative there. I could tell by his yellow tie. So the UA personnel at Lisbon are top notch. Another poster said that you can transfer from your tap arrival into the united gates. Bear in mind that some tap arrivals park at remote gates (airfield) and you take a bus. I did this on Boston Lisbon on tap or year or so ago. My only concerns are tap timeliness.. (I flew Newark to Oporto) and some members of my group went via Lisbon to Oporto.. those people had a four and five hour delays so the on-time status with tap can be a little tough. Good luck and keep us posted.

Last edited by Flying Machine; Jul 1, 2018 at 5:41 pm
Old Jul 1, 2018, 10:12 pm

If you're flying with carry-on luggage only and check-in online, 1h45 is more than doable if OPO-LIS is on-time. I can't tell you what the chances of that are though.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 10:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Just to make sure you are not missing the point: if you are travelling on separate tickets, and your flight to LIS is late or cancelled, you will need to find a new way to get to the US. This is likely to involve removing your credit card from you wallet. Depending on your risk tolerance levels, you may wish to rebook your first flight.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 10:28 pm
Suspended

Duplicate
Old Jul 2, 2018, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite

Just to make sure you are not missing the point: if you are travelling on separate tickets, and your flight to LIS is late or cancelled, you will need to find a new way to get to the US. This is likely to involve removing your credit card from you wallet. Depending on your risk tolerance levels, you may wish to rebook your first flight.
UA is usually pretty generous with their flat tire rule, even internationally, but YMMV and I wouldn't count on it. At a minimum it would be a 24-hour delay.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 4:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Palal
UA is usually pretty generous with their flat tire rule, even internationally, but YMMV and I wouldn't count on it. At a minimum it would be a 24-hour delay.
Yes, that is probably true on balance, but never something you should count on, as you say. Separate tickets always carry risks.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by Palal
Let me be a bit more specific.

UA airport agents are usually pretty generous with their flat tire rule. OP's problem, if TAP is late, is that he will show up at the counter after it closed. Agents won't be there to express their generosity. Reservation agents on the phone are not as flexible, and may not help. By the next morning, when OP can show up in front of an airport agent. the reservation will have canceled. They may not be as generous when there is no reservation anymore -- or it involves a lot of work to get it reinstated and there is a long line.

I asked earlier whether OP was on the EWR or IAD flight, and that matters.
1. If on the IAD flight, it is the last flight of the day, so no chance there will be any UA agents there if you are late. The good news is that there are many trains that can connect to this flight.
2. If on the EWR flight AND there is a IAD flight that day, you can show up two hours late and still find generous UA agents, who may even put you on that IAD flight if there are seats open.
3. If on the EWR flight and there is no IAD flight that day, it's back to #1 with a nasty twist: the only train that would make it on time leaves Porto at 05:47, to arrive at 08:22. The next train, 06:47-09:22, arrives too late for the T-60 cutoff.

I am going to swing a guess here that OP is on the IAD flight. Reason: OP says the connection is 1h45m. TP OPO-LIS run on the hours, arriving LIS at :30 after the hours. UA EWR departs at 10:25, IAD at 12:15. To make 1h45m you would have to arrive at 10:30 and depart at 12:15. If indeed this is true, see #1 above and take a train.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.