FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Spain/Portugal/Gibraltar (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/spain-portugal-gibraltar-713/)
-   -   Spain & Portugal (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/spain-portugal-gibraltar/1916072-spain-portugal.html)

SimpleManToo Jun 23, 2018 2:57 pm

Spain & Portugal

We hear that Spain and Portugal are an amazing place to visit and would like to be able to take the train around the country to see different places over a 14 day period time with about 5 days spent in one location. Have not selected an airline yet either and am considering use of a Marriott travel package or Chase reward points. We would prefer a visit in Shoulder season and welcome thoughts about where to see and why and learn about any experiences in any Marriott property in these countries please/

pbiflyer Jun 24, 2018 2:08 pm

The standard questions of what do you like to do? There are many different places in both locations, but only recommended based on your interests.

Training through each country is easy. Training between them, potentially not so much. A train from Porto to Madrid is an overnight train. Maybe perfect for what you want.

UAPremExecflyer Jun 24, 2018 5:08 pm

I hope you recognise that Spain and Portugal are separate countries?
Also, you are asking the same question in multiple different fora :td: this one from the Marriott forum https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...ns-please.html

UKtravelbear Jun 24, 2018 7:04 pm

Yes both Portugal and Spain are amazing countries to visit. Their shared and separate histories, cultures and languages are very interesting.

But you don't have any idea about dates - shoulder season is not a term that is used widely in Europe.

Nor do you have any real idea about where you want to visit or what you want to do when you get there?

Restricting yourself to a particular hotel chain will also restrict your options for places to visit - have you even looked at the places they have hotels located?

You could easily spend 14 days in Portugal let alone Spain.

You really need to do some basic research first.

Bogwoppit Jun 24, 2018 7:25 pm

I literally just booked this trip.

YUL to Porto

Lisbon

Faro

Seville

Cordoba

Grenada

Madrid

Barcelona - YUL

May 2019, taking trains or buses from city to city. 24 days in total, and very much looking forward to it. We will do a combo of small hotels and airBnB type accommodation. Packing carry on only backpacks, to enable us to manage public transit much more easily. Generally 2-3 nights in each city, 5 in BCN to finish, because we love BCN.

deniah Jun 25, 2018 1:30 am

Marriott has extensive coverage of Spain with the AC Hotels brand. Portugal... much less so

stut Jun 25, 2018 6:17 am

As we have a dedicated Spain & Portugal forum, I'm going to move this thread over there. Please continue to discuss this topic in the Iberian folder.

stut
Europe Forum

SimpleManToo Jun 25, 2018 10:51 am

Your missing the point

Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer (Post 29902224)
I hope you recognise that Spain and Portugal are separate countries?
Also, you are asking the same question in multiple different fora :td: this one from the Marriott forum https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...ns-please.html

Perhaps you are missing my intent. Having flown around the world more than twice as a Pilot and visiting over 80 countries, of Course I know Spain and Portugal are different countries. What I am attempting to learn [moderator edit] is a little about each country. [Moderator edit.] Apparently Marriott where i would be staying has a lot more properties in Spain than they do Portugal. Our interest are quite varied and we want to know more about travel in off season (or the end of high season) to each country and suggestions of places not to miss in Spain and Portugal as our research shows them to be quite beautiful.
I also was wondering about train service between the two as it does not matter if it is an overnight train or just a day trip train. We just want to know if we can get between them and if a car rental might be needed at any time.

SimpleManToo Jun 25, 2018 10:54 am

Let me Clarify.

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear (Post 29902482)
Yes both Portugal and Spain are amazing countries to visit. Their shared and separate histories, cultures and languages are very interesting.

But you don't have any idea about dates - shoulder season is not a term that is used widely in Europe. (So you can learn this would be the beginning before or after the end of High Season for Travel)

Nor do you have any real idea about where you want to visit or what you want to do when you get there? ( I would fly over and take the train within spain seeing Mad, Barcelona, Malaga and other suggestions and then moving on to Portugal and am looking for ideas on places to see in both countries)

Restricting yourself to a particular hotel chain will also restrict your options for places to visit - have you even looked at the places they have hotels located? ( Of Course I have, Marriott has tons of properties in Spain and I wanted input from people who had stayed at them, It is why I asked in the first place)

You could easily spend 14 days in Portugal let alone Spain. (Agreed but 14 days is all we have to spend so I am trying to intelligently break up the days as some are going to be for travel alone like a night train possibly into Portugal)

(Does this make my questions any clearer to you?)

You really need to do some basic research first.

[Moderator edit.] I have done extensive research and now am trying to boil down to some specific from people who have visited both locations

SimpleManToo Jun 25, 2018 10:57 am

Thank You and Agreed. Trying to find people who have stayed at some of those properties to find out about their experiences.

SimpleManToo Jun 25, 2018 11:07 am

Training and Interests

Originally Posted by pbiflyer (Post 29901694)
The standard questions of what do you like to do? There are many different places in both locations, but only recommended based on your interests.

Training through each country is easy. Training between them, potentially not so much. A train from Porto to Madrid is an overnight train. Maybe perfect for what you want.

(Thank You but could you provide more specifics about training between them please? we want to go from places like Madrid to malaga and then into Portugal and are wondering how extensive the network is in Portugal or should be rent a car. I do not want to spend all my time in big cities but too also find the gems of each country)

UKtravelbear Jun 25, 2018 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by SimpleManToo (Post 29904765)
[Moderator edit.] I have done extensive research and now am trying to boil down to some specific from people who have visited both locations

Then you should have started by asking some specific questions. "Has anyone been to the Prado or the Gulbenkien? are they worth a couple of hours visit? What were the highlights you would suggest people saw" "Is an excursion to the Alhambra feasible from Madrid"

The Spanish and Portuguese rail system have websites so you canlook at the route maps and plan trips - easily researched.

So you can learn this would be the beginning before or after the end of High Season for Travel)

Again these are quite vague concepts. For some destinations it is always 'high season' for visitor numbers and not related to weather.

People are trying to help you but please ask specific questions and don't be rude when people ask you to provide more information.

deniah Jun 26, 2018 7:50 am

with 2 weeks, get a car. CP and Renfe have a decent network but much of the beauty of both countries are in the smaller sized cities and its much more convenient with a car. we've used rentals for most of our visits - rates are good and driving manner are very good

pilgrim Jun 27, 2018 12:38 pm

Another resource

Tripadvisor.com and forums on fodors.com and frommers.com often
cover information on itineraries/ favorite lodging and activities, and
offer current reviews, some more accurate than others imo, and
may be helpful.

HalconBCN Jun 29, 2018 10:46 am

If you want to cities you can do that easily by high speed train. RENFE has a site in English where you can book tickets. Get them well in advance - they can be cheap.

Barcelona-Madrid-Cordoba-Seville would be very doable by train.

And then rent a car or take a bus to go to Granada or Portugal.

Keep in mind Spain is a huge country by European standards. You could easily spend 2 weeks just exploring one region. Enjoy!